ADVERTISEMENT

Break out game...

The last time we had a buzzer beater 2 years ago, we went on a big conference run. I don't really expect the same this year, but it does put a jolt of excitement and confidence into a young team.

Last edited:
It's a shame there weren't any people there to see it. What an exciting win for these freshmen. Keep hoping with each victory it will alter the course of the season.

Reactions: topminer
Since the pack the Don game to welcome Floyd (a loss to Pacific) I have thought we were cursed. We lost the championship tourney, to Lubbock Christian, Texas Southern, the Sun Carnival, we lost players to gambling and to low life coaches at USC, sick grandmas and the Chinese pro league. Somehow this win tells me the curse has been lifted.

for freshman Nigel Hawkins.

and freshman Jordan Lathon is already playing like a senior.

Realistically, we can't expect Hawkins to play perfect games the rest of the season, but this was a game that will influence the way he plays from here on out.

The next three-four years (minimum) should be interesting...

I hope so. We need him to develop some consistency. Hopefully that’s what this year will do for him. Not saying he’ll start or he won’t start, but it would be nice to have some bench players where there isn’t much of a drop off, if any, when they get on the court.

for freshman Nigel Hawkins.

and freshman Jordan Lathon is already playing like a senior.

Realistically, we can't expect Hawkins to play perfect games the rest of the season, but this was a game that will influence the way he plays from here on out.

The next three-four years (minimum) should be interesting...

Lathon deserves all of the love that he is receiving for his performance in Saturday's game, but I think that Hawkins is being a little overlooked. His 24 points and 7 boards were huge in helping UTEP make that comeback. While this was easily his best game in a Miner uniform, in my opinion it didn't come from out of the blue. He's been building up to this.

I was in the building when the Miners lost to UTSA. Hawkins was the best player for the Miners that night. While he still had his usual struggles from outside, missing on all five of his three point attempts, he played great in the other facets of the game. His drives to bucket in the second half, resulting in baskets, free throws, and and-ones, led a brief Miner comeback that was stymied by the fact that he didn't receive help from his teammates. It's too bad, as with 21 points and 9 boards he played great in that game.

While he wasn't as aggressive offensively in the second game against the Roadrunners, I believe that he stilled played well, with his 9 points, 9 rebounds, and 4 assists. He was solid against North Texas as well; while he only gathered 3 boards, he did return to double figure scoring with 11 points.

Hawkins has had he struggles early. This is to be expected, he's a freshman. But he continues to improve. The Achilles Heel so far has been his outside shooting, but hopefully his 3-5 performance from behind the arc on Saturday is a sign that his has broken out of his outside shooting slump.

I know all of the talent we have coming in next year. My hope is that Hawkins and Lathon come into practice next year with the attitudes that they are the starters, and won't give up those spots without a fight. My bet is that if either or both of them lose their starting spots, their replacement(s) will have really earned it. These two have the potential to be studs for the Miners.

Will "next year" ever come? It's impossible to project who the starters might be by mid-season. With expectations of those in the waiting mode they could all be starting, but on the other hand look at what this year's frosh have accomplished. Nice problem.

Reactions: axingfools1
Gut check road swing. Freshman are for sure learning while in the kitchen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT