ADVERTISEMENT

Bring back Barbee

I don’t know how true all of this is, only because I have never really heard that and nor was I there. But I could believe it because of Stull played a lot of “buddy ball” as his career wound down. I know a lot of people aren’t big fans of Senter but I would take him at his worst over Stull any day of the week.
Stull did a lot of good things, a lot. He also did some "WTF was he thinking?" stuff as well. I totally appreciate what he did and you can physically see it all around UTEP. It is sad the Kugler and Floyd tenures totally blew up in his face. We did not know these two coaches would handle things so badly from recruiting, fans, media and performance on the court and field. These two coaches, and one dunder-headed assistant whom I still can't believe works on UTEP soil, brought unnecessary pain upon him he had to clean up.

Bu the past is the past, it's over.

Stull did a lot of good things, a lot. He also did some "WTF was he thinking?" stuff as well. I totally appreciate what he did and you can physically see it all around UTEP. It is sad the Kugler and Floyd tenures totally blew up in his face. We did not know these two coaches would handle things so badly from recruiting, fans, media and performance on the court and field. These two coaches, and one dunder-headed assistant whom I still can't believe works on UTEP soil, brought unnecessary pain upon him he had to clean up.

Bu the past is the past, it's over.
Everyone was clamoring for Floyd and bringing back the 80s including me. So...careful what you ask for.

For some reason people acted like Kugler was going to turn the team into some kind of mid major power. Possibly the worst era of UTEP football

Last edited:
For some reason people acted like Kugler was going to turn the team into some kind of mid major power. Possibly the worst era of UTEP foitball
A lot of people thought the team just needed discipline (even some of the players). It was Kugler's stubborness and shitty offense that did him in. That and his unwillingness to get out and recruit better.

It's starting to seem like Dimel has an offense like Kugler and the discipline of Price.

Did Floyd ever attend the games? I can't imagine the media not mentioning Floyd was at practice?

Floyd was not at every practice. Barbee had closed practices when they were in the Foster/Steven's Center.

I did have a former student that was on the team. I was not a total fan of Barbee. One instance that rubbed me the wrong way was when Barbee would not speak to Basketball in the Barrio camps, saying that the Barrio camp competed with his camp so he wouldn't appear at it.

I was not a fan of the Floyd hire from the beginning. I actually wanted CRT to be hired at that time. I didn't like that Floyd said No to UTEP after Rabs, saying something to the effect of, why would anyone want that job. Then when the recruiting was good Floyd pulled somewhat of a coup.

Reactions: minerfan_14
I loved Barbee. No nonsense, didn't let local media, boosters and fans dictate how he coached and developed the program.

I believe that theory. I always say Price got fat, dumb, and happy in El Paso and the fire went out.
He lost control of the program towards the end of his tenure and Stull was mum on it, Kugler wouldn't shut up about it and UTEP plant employees had stories.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT