ADVERTISEMENT

Bring back Barbee

He had an arrogant, unfriendly, better than you attitude and generally snubbed the fan base. Have no respect for him. The only plus was his recruitment success

What a bunch of bulls__! Miner1liner, you sound like you're in love with your prejudices. Barbee paid his dues in El Paso and I personally interacted with him. He spoke at all the local Service groups (Lions Clubs, Rotarian's, etc), personally bought tickets for fans out of his own pocket and had nothing but respect for the community. You weakly praise him for recruiting to UTEP but aren't smart enough to figure out that he had to sell El Paso to his recruits and coach hires. Give it a rest. Your opinion is like your a-h___, everyone has one, remember?

Yeah he sucked! Only won the conference and made the NCAA tournament in his 4th year. Much better to have coached 7-8 years and drag down the program like Floyd!

Also much better to be CRT right now!!!!!!
I yearn for the success Barbee brought, but if he simply won't return to El Paso, not even for a seven-figure salary, then there's no use pining for him.

I just wonder what it is about El Paso he hated so much. (I really thought it was mainly his wife; I didn't realize he hated it, too.)

What a bunch of bulls__! Miner1liner, you sound like you're in love with your prejudices. Barbee paid his dues in El Paso and I personally interacted with him. He spoke at all the local Service groups (Lions Clubs, Rotarian's, etc), personally bought tickets for fans out of his own pocket and had nothing but respect for the community. You weakly praise him for recruiting to UTEP but aren't smart enough to figure out that he had to sell El Paso to his recruits and coach hires. Give it a rest. Your opinion is like your a-h___, everyone has one, remember?
Yeah, that was more in line with what I remembered.

Wasn't there noise that Barbee wanted to interview for the UTEP job, after Floyd? I wonder if the rumors of him "hating" El Paso, were created from the lack of interaction with Haskins... I liked Barbee, but I agree no need to bring someone back. Unless maybe Billy for a redemption. I hope Terry succeeds. We need him to, our poor hearts... lol

Reactions: mikesarabia
Barbee hated El Paso, he isolated his players and his family from the community as much as possible and would have taken any offer in division 1 to get out of here. He would not come back for 2 million a year.

Not true at all. Barbee was nice the few times I met him. Not sure what you meant by isolating the players from the community, but that's not true at all.

I yearn for the success Barbee brought, but if he simply won't return to El Paso, not even for a seven-figure salary, then there's no use pining for him.

I just wonder what it is about El Paso he hated so much. (I really thought it was mainly his wife; I didn't realize he hated it, too.)

I don’t think the original post was really about bringing back Barbee, just the frustration with the current product.

I think it’s disgusting that people here have “hate” towards Barbee, as he was nothing but successful here. While Floyd was given more time, paid more, and played in an easier league, but couldn’t touch Barbee’s success here. Yet, some were willing to put up with him as long as possible. He might still be coaching here if he didn’t “get tired”.

I wouldn’t be totally against Barbee coming back here at some point, but I wouldn’t seriously consider him a candidate here in the near future. It doesn’t matter anyway, as CRT will never be fired as Dismel can keep his job after going 2-22. CRT doesn’t have anything to worry about.

Bring back anyone should be only about bringing back a coach who had success and liked it in EP. Someone who would be somewhat like Mark Few at Gonzaga where Few was an assistant at Gonzaga for 10 years before taking over the program in 1999 and has stayed there since.

El Paso is not a "desirable" location. Neither is Spokane in my humble opinion. It requires someone who grew up in the area and loves it simply because it's like "home." Haskins loved it in EP. That's why he stayed despite his lousy salary, comparatively speaking.

Tim Floyd could have been a savior. He fvcked it up. So be it.

We need someone like that. Someone that maybe was an assistant under Gillispie, for example, who has local ties and loves the area. Someone who will fvcking stay here as long as we are fair with them about their salary.

If we can pay this non-Xs-and-Os coach we have 700k annually, I have to believe we can find a quality coach with local ties who will stay and build a goddamned program for the next 20 or 30 years like Mark Few has done at Gonzaga and give us a chance to move out of the fvcking C-USA into a conference that makes sense for us.

With no insult intended as it appears he is trying to be a positive influence on the community, Rodney Terry is not that coach.

Guys can we get a grip we are in only terry’s second year.... if we get some shooters for this team that’s all we are lacking in my opinion...this team with shooters is a different level... not to mention lost a lot of close games that could have gone our way.. two while terry was out.. if we just win those two we are 4-2 in conference... sky is not falling .... yet

I knew Barbee his wife and the Madlocks pretty well and would talk to them frequently. Their boys TJ and Drew and my kids were all on the same team together and I was their coach.

I dont think they hated El Paso at all. They felt unappreciated. Looking back on it, maybe it was ego, maybe it was immaturity, I don't know. But Mrs. Barbee would say often that this wouldnt happen in Memphis in referring to a UTEP issue. Coach Madlock and Barbee were extremely focused guys. Very driven. The polar opposite of Rabedeaux.

If you knew of how Jason Rabedeaux and how he was, Barbee was exactly opposite. Rab loved the celebrity of it and soaked up every bit of it. Barbee wanted to be Coach Cal and basically call his shots. If the Goldiggers had the court reserved, if an athlete didn't get the right class, if someone was in his parking space......those kind of things Barbee took as a personal insult.

Guys can we get a grip we are in only terry’s second year.... if we get some shooters for this team that’s all we are lacking in my opinion...this team with shooters is a different level... not to mention lost a lot of close games that could have gone our way.. two while terry was out.. if we just win those two we are 4-2 in conference... sky is not falling .... yet

Honest question. Do you watch the games? Crazy you think all we lack are a couple outside shooters.

Last year we were ranked 307th in assists and 281st in turnovers. This year the assists are up a little bit but we are still ranked in the bottom 1/3 in all of Div I cbb, and we are worse and have dropped to 303rd in turnovers. I suppose several legitimate arguments could be made for what we need MOST, but there is no doubt we are in at least equal need of a true PG. Honestly, we could use another big man, too. We have holes. Big holes.

I knew Barbee his wife and the Madlocks pretty well and would talk to them frequently. Their boys TJ and Drew and my kids were all on the same team together and I was their coach.

I dont think they hated El Paso at all. They felt unappreciated. Looking back on it, maybe it was ego, maybe it was immaturity, I don't know. But Mrs. Barbee would say often that this wouldnt happen in Memphis in referring to a UTEP issue. Coach Madlock and Barbee were extremely focused guys. Very driven. The polar opposite of Rabedeaux.

If you knew of how Jason Rabedeaux and how he was, Barbee was exactly opposite. Rab loved the celebrity of it and soaked up every bit of it. Barbee wanted to be Coach Cal and basically call his shots. If the Goldiggers had the court reserved, if an athlete didn't get the right class, if someone was in his parking space......those kind of things Barbee took as a personal insult.

By no means do I want any old coach retreading at UTEP, but I can see where he was coming from. It was probably the same for Billy G as well. Those guys were definitely driven and unfortunately I am sure looking back they understand they maybe handled things incorrectly on the way up. But with that being said UTEP could handle things better on their end.

Honest question. Do you watch the games? Crazy you think all we lack are a couple outside shooters.

Last year we were ranked 307th in assists and 281st in turnovers. This year the assists are up a little bit but we are still ranked in the bottom 1/3 in all of Div I cbb, and we are worse and have dropped to 303rd in turnovers. I suppose several legitimate arguments could be made for what we need MOST, but there is no doubt we are in at least equal need of a true PG. Honestly, we could use another big man, too. We have holes. Big holes.
Assists would go up a fair bit if we had some consistent outside shooters.

Even as abysmal as our offense has been, the defense has been good enough to keep us in most games. We have several close losses; just a little bit more offense would make a huge difference.

But that's not what we have. Oh well.

I think the drop in the shooting percentages this year on the part of Hawkins and Hawkins can be greatly attributed from the lack of a true "game manager", as Terry likes to refer to the position. Last year, with Magee running the point a lot of the time, the other guards were getting the ball in better rhythm to make the shot. I see it similar to the Chris Craig year prior to when Fili arrived. I'm definitely not saying that either Lathon or Hawkins are as good of shooters as Craig, but I mention this to highlight the importance of a true ball handler and facilitator.

Going into next year, we have a huge issue once again at the point guard spot. You have two guys who have underperformed (not to mention nearly transferring), and an incoming freshman who looks to be more of a developmental player. This year I anticipated at least two breakout performers, not named Williams. We have not seen anything close to that going into next year. I don't think Terry needs to blow up the roster, but I do think he will need to add several more pieces if we are going to have a realistic chance for a top 4 finish.

Wow Vegas!
What an attack. Where do you get " that I'm in love with my prejudices"? What prejudices are you referring to? I don't have any written or video evidence of my Barber memories, but I have no reason to concoct a wild story. I only remember how disappointed I was with his attitude as I described it. He and his wife were not sad to leave. I may need some help here, but was there some disrespect for Haskins?

Ok let me ask you this... with all the three pointers we jack up what would happen if as a team had boum Edwards villa and Hawkins hitting 38-41 percent from 3? Totally different ball club with open lanes to get the ball inside to our bigs and driving lanes ...

domino effect... one thing would lead to another

yes we do need a true pg but to me the shooting is a lot more important right now... good example is Baylor... we have butler as a pg but all three guards come in and run the team and all 3 are legitimate 3 point shooters which make things totally different.. Baylor has struggled when those three can’t hit from outside...

Last edited:

He also had players like Stone and Culpepper visiting local schools. The kids loved it.

Never disrespected his coaching or his program, but he ain't coming back, ever. He set up the program to have one great year to get out, he let everyone across the country he was in play. He missed two days of practice before the NCAA loss interviewing at DePaul and didn't return with the team as he headed to Auburn for another. You might see him as a messiah, I don't.

Never disrespected his coaching or his program, but he ain't coming back, ever. He set up the program to have one great year to get out, he let everyone across the country he was in play. He missed two days of practice before the NCAA loss interviewing at DePaul and didn't return with the team as he headed to Auburn for another. You might see him as a messiah, I don't.

I can live with one great year.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Ok let me ask you this... with all the three pointers we jack up what would happen if as a team had boum Edwards villa and Hawkins hitting 38-41 percent from 3? Totally different ball club with open lanes to get the ball inside to our bigs and driving lanes ...

Agreed. Which is why I said several arguments could be made as to what we need most. However, that doesn’t negate the need for a true PG who can take care of the ball, penetrate and dish, or score off the drive to the rim.

Also, you’re really bringing up a HUGE hypothetical. Not even one of the guys is shooting at the percentage you mention, and 3 of them are not even in the ballpark. I mean, of course we’d win more games with 4 guys shooting in that percentage range, and it WOULD open the lanes. We’d still need someone with handles who can effectively penetrate those wider gaps. We don’t have that.

Agreed. Which is why I said several arguments could be made as to what we need most. However, that doesn’t negate the need for a true PG who can take care of the ball, penetrate and dish, or score off the drive to the rim.

Also, you’re really bringing up a HUGE hypothetical. Not even one of the guys is shooting at the percentage you mention, and 3 of them are not even in the ballpark. I mean, of course we’d win more games with 4 guys shooting in that percentage range, and it WOULD open the lanes. We’d still need someone with handles who can effectively penetrate those wider gaps. We don’t have that.

That’s what I am saying is we need that type of player... that’s what’s missing... we need two or three shooters to get this team to the next level

If Barbee was uppity, what was Floyd?
Will I don't think he was, I meant reading some comments against Barbee that's the vibe I get. And by the way, white people don't get called out for being"uppity".

Anyone who thinks Barbee was not a good coach here is an idiot. Plain and simple. It doesn’t matter if you liked or perceived him to not like El Paso; UTEP was lucky to have him. He accomplished more than Floyd did and stayed out of trouble off the court.

If every UTEP coach made the NCAAs once every 4 years, that’s fine with me. Terry needs to do that or he should be fired.

That’s what I am saying is we need that type of player... that’s what’s missing... we need two or three shooters to get this team to the next level
I agree DB. Another shooter or two would not hurt. My question is why are nearly all our current players shooting percentages way down from their previous years? Boum was a 36% shooter as a true freshman at USF, Lathon shot 35% from three last year, Hawkins is way down. Tarke is way down, although it is a small sample. Point is, if these guys had just maintained their 3 point percentages, we would be in a lot better shape. The shooting and assists work hand in hand. On top of all that, I think both Hawkins and Lathon's natural offensive strengths are not suited for the point. Inexperience is a factor, but the concern is the lack of improvement as the season has progressed. Hawkins has been ok; but Lathon has been a mess since returning. I feel bad for him, and hope he fights through what he is dealing with.

Wow Vegas!
What an attack. Where do you get " that I'm in love with my prejudices"? What prejudices are you referring to? I don't have any written or video evidence of my Barber memories, but I have no reason to concoct a wild story. I only remember how disappointed I was with his attitude as I described it. He and his wife were not sad to leave. I may need some help here, but was there some disrespect for Haskins?
Was not trying to get personal with my response but I get disgusted when posters write s---- that they "think" they saw/heard or otherwise imagined. They smehow claim that they can read minds without actually admitting that their conjectures are just that: conjectures. I apologize for my harsh response though.

My one and only interaction with Barbee was after the UAB game when we everyone ended up on the court celebrating the CUSA championship. Coach was friendly, posed for pictures, signed our UTEP flag and caps. The guy was also a very good recruiter. I was happy for his success and would welcome him back with open arms.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I have to say that maybe UTEP didn’t like Barbee. They sure didn’t pay him what he was worth. The guy was making 300k a year. He was offered 1.5 by Auburn, so of course laters fools.

To further add salt to the wound UTEP hired TF at 600k right off the bat.

So yeah. Karma.

I have to say that maybe UTEP didn’t like Barbee. They sure didn’t pay him what he was worth. The guy was making 300k a year. He was offered 1.5 by Auburn, so of course laters fools.

To further add salt to the wound UTEP hired TF at 600k right off the bat.

So yeah. Karma.

You know what? That is a damn good point right there. At the end of the day money talks and Stull was way to cheap with that guy and in the end UTEP paid the price. If him or his family felt disrespected, maybe their frustrations were towards the athletic department and not the public.

Maybe, just maybe they could have given him a serious bump up in salary and he could have stayed. That team would have been primed for a great run, and possibly continued success.

If him or his family felt disrespected, maybe their frustrations were towards the athletic department and not the public.
Bingo. Like you said we ultimately paid the price. We were stuck for the next 8 years with Floyd and we didn’t get to cash in on a buyout for Barbee.

I honestly don’t remember how it all went down. But how the hell does a coach show improvement every year, sell out the Don constantly and not receive a contract extension with a raise?

The disrespect was real and I don’t blame Barbee if he felt that way.

Bingo. Like you said we ultimately paid the price. We were stuck for the next 8 years with Floyd and we didn’t get to cash in on a buyout for Barbee.

I honestly don’t remember how it all went down. But how the hell does a coach show improvement every year, sell out the Don constantly and not receive a contract extension with a raise?

The disrespect was real and I don’t blame Barbee if he felt that way.

Your last posts are correct, but they’re not the truth. Barbee was making $300k and had just won CUSA and made the tournament. Was UTEP supposed to double his salary and lock him up after losing in the CBI finals?

Yes, UTEP paid more for Floyd and they would have done the same for Barbee, but Barbee took the pay day at Auburn. Floyd was a successful coach and “alum” at the point he was hired. It’s not like UTEP refused to pay Barbee and then turned around and hired someone else for more money.

Barbee left first, then UTEP hired Floyd.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Your last posts are correct, but they’re not the truth. Barbee was making $300k and had just won CUSA and made the tournament. Was UTEP supposed to double his salary and lock him up after losing in the CBI finals?

Yes, UTEP paid more for Floyd and they would have done the same for Barbee, but Barbee took the pay day at Auburn. Floyd was a successful coach and “alum” at the point he was hired. It’s not like UTEP refused to pay Barbee and then turned around and hired someone else for more money.

Barbee left first, then UTEP hired Floyd.
Yes. The team had improved every year. From 10th to 6th to 4th and everyone knew his 4th year was going to be special. And it was. Oh well. We let him walk. Auburn came in and easily lured him away. Would he have stayed if we had raised his salary to 500-600k after year three? Probably not, but at least Auburn would have had to pay to get him.

Reactions: minerfan_14
If Terry wins the CBI this year, we should extend his contract and give him a raise?
Hes already one of the highest paid coaches in the league. Two completely different scenarios. Barbee was making scraps.

Barbee was an up and coming coach not an established hc like Terry or Floyd. As an example so was Kugler. He won and instantly received a raise and a contract extension that would have him as head coach until 2020. But I guess since Barbee ain’t a friend of the university he doesn’t deserve the same respect.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Hes already one of the highest paid coaches in the league. Two completely different scenarios. Barbee was making scraps.

Barbee was an up and coming coach not an established hc like Terry or Floyd. As an example so was Kugler. He won and instantly received a raise and a contract extension that would have him as head coach until 2020. But I guess since Barbee ain’t a friend of the university he doesn’t deserve the same respect.

I seriously doubt Barbee was making “scraps”. They were in CUSA coming off two recent coach defections. 300k in 2006 is a lot different than 300k in 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT