ADVERTISEMENT

Bring Back Billy

It's been long enough and he's been through enough. Yes, he has self-inflicted wounds and he has others. Ranger College is kicking everyone's ass. Billy is and always will be a great coach.

Bring Billy Back.

I’ve liked the idea for quite some time. That he’s coaching a team that is kicking ass only confirms it’s a good idea as far as I’m concerned.

Got his phone #?

254-267-7059

Bgillispie@rangercollege.edu

We need donors to buy out Rodney Terry. Billy would probably come here for less than Terry is making just to get a chance to coach at this level again. We need to craft a contract that would quickly pay him more based on results.

Billy is the answer if we can find the money to send Rodney Terry packing.

We need donors to buy out Rodney Terry. Billy would probably come here for less than Terry is making just to get a chance to coach at this level again.
I don't know; given his health problems, he might not want to be under that much pressure.

I don't know; given his health problems, he might not want to be under that much pressure.

You may be right, Mr. Wildcat. But we don't know if we don't ask. Billy is 60 years old now. You might be right and he might politely decline. But if he feels up to it he could give us several years of euphoria and then hand the reigns to a really good assistant to continue what he's started.

No harm in asking...

Nope, UTEP enabled him during his time here. If he’s really working at recovery the best thing for him would be to stay away.

Sure why not. All we need is to fire senter and rehire Bob Stull. Then find the 2.2 million to buy out Terry.

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic, but we can do better than re-hiring Stull. I don’t think Terry should be fired, yet. However, the future looks super dim and I am sure next year won’t be any better.
Do you really think Senter will say yeah let’s fire my hire and bring back Billy. The only one dumb enough to do something like that is Stull.

****, I’d take Billy G back in a heartbeat. Not all retreads are created equal. Do I think it’ll happen. No. Sure as hell wish it would. He’d ride out the rest of his career here, as long as he’s wanted.

Hated that he left when he did, but never faulted the guy for climbing the ladder. Guy did wonders here and in in College Station. He can flat out coach kids with a chip in their shoulder. Had difficulty reaching the primadonna 5 stars. Obviously wouldn’t have that problem here.

Let him bring Brayan Au with him.

I get a chuckle out of the fan base. Pre season no one could say anything bad about Terry. Senter was fiercely defended because of the great basketball hire he made. Two months later and everyone has turned on them. I don’t know why everyone is mad that a lifetime .500 coach is sitting at .500. Sheesh.

I get a chuckle out of the fan base. Pre season no one could say anything bad about Terry. Senter was fiercely defended because of the great basketball hire he made. Two months later and everyone has turned on them. I don’t know why everyone is mad that a lifetime .500 coach is sitting at .500. Sheesh.

I think we’re mad THAT we have a .500 coach. At least I am.

Coming to UTEP would have been a lateral move with a rebuild for Forbes.

I hate CUSA as much as anybody and think UTEP is mediocre basketball program, but you don’t really believe that do you? They play in the SoCon and are averaging less fans per game than UTEP. If Forbes were here and had a 21-4 record, we would easily be getting 8 to 9k for Thursday games and 10k on Saturdays.

I think we’re mad THAT we have a .500 coach. At least I am.
I know I’m mad too. It’s not like his record wasn’t known before being hired. I think it’s unfair to hype up someone and then talk shit about him after he doesn’t reach our expectations. We should have been talking shit about his record since day one. The same way we’ve done with Dimel.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I know I’m mad too. It’s not like his record wasn’t known before being hired. I think it’s unfair to hype up someone and then talk shit about him after he doesn’t reach our expectations. We should have been talking shit about his record since day one. The same way we’ve done with Dimel.

Yeah, but don’t you think CRT hyped himself up to get the job in the first place? By taking the job fan expectations come with the territory. I’m sure he didn’t say, “I have a .500 career record. I’ll make sure to keep UTEP in that same neighborhood.”

I think it’s natural as a fan to have expectations of winning. I called into question Terry’s coaching abilities at the end of last season. Most people said wait until next year when we have all our recruits on the floor, which was fair. I think expectations were not so much on CRT’s ability but rather what we had waiting in the wings. I think the anger is coming out now because it’s a common realization that CRT can’t coach up the talent, or he can’t identify it in the first place. Either way, we probably have a couple more years of shit coming our way. Who’s to blame? CRT, regardless of previous record. Oh and the guy who hired him. Just my two cents.

I was excited about Terry, mostly because of his Texas roots and mentorship under Barnes. My excitement is waning. I’m a typical fan.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

Since when are sports fans fair?

How could anyone really talk shit about Terry's record since day one?
Dimel was easy to talk shit about since day 1. He was 3-8, 0-11, and 5-7 in his last 3 seasons as a HC.
Terry was 25-10(NCAA Tourney appearance), 20-13(NIT), 21-11 in his last 3 seasons at Fresno before coming to UTEP. Terry had 4, 20+ win seasons in his 7 years at Fresno and in a tougher conference. It's not like Terry had 3 straight .below 500 seasons before coming to UTEP. It is easy to see why people hyped up Terry and are frustrated right now, and they have every right to be frustrated.

Last edited:
Isn’t the same crap we heard about barbee?? Now everyone wishes we had that team back... give terry a few years... took barbee 4 to get to the NCAA tourney

honestly we are taking out all our frustrations with Floyd out on terry

New staff?
Losing a guy like Lamont Smith hurt, and he was not adequately replaced by Terry, in my opinion. But that is on him as well; I think his hires were made more in an effort to hold onto Williams than to really provide true sideline coaching support. I'm hoping he can still get the job done, but it is difficult not to question based on what we have seen this year.

Isn’t the same crap we heard about barbee?? Now everyone wishes we had that team back... give terry a few years... took barbee 4 to get to the NCAA tourney

honestly we are taking out all our frustrations with Floyd out on terry

No, it’s different. Barbee did not bring in a bunch of transfers during his time. He built his program with freshman. Barbee won 14 games his first year and 19 the second. Which he went 8-8 in CUSA play. CUSA was a respectable conference back then too. Terry would have to go 5-1 over these last 6 games to make it to .500 in CUSA.

They are not the same. Terry has a much easier league to coach in and has 5 D1 transfers that sat out last year. Terry is doing a much worse job than Barbee did.

How could anyone really talk shit about Terry's record since day one?
Dimel was easy to talk shit about since day 1. He was 3-8, 0-11, and 5-7 in his last 3 seasons as a HC.
Terry was 25-10(NCAA Tourney appearance), 20-13(NIT), 21-11 in his last 3 seasons at Fresno before coming to UTEP. Terry had 4, 20+ win seasons in his 7 years at Fresno and in a tougher conference. It's not like Terry had 3 straight .below 500 seasons before coming to UTEP. It is easy to see why people hyped up Terry and are frustrated right now, and they have every right to be frustrated.
Ok now run his numbers without the non D1 victories and tell me if his record is still impressive. How long did it take him to reach the NIT and NCAA? Why aren’t we allowing him the same time here?

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT