ADVERTISEMENT

Butterfield Trail ranked #10 muni

Fill me in. Didn't It close down during the pandemic? Has it reopened? Being in Dallas I haven't seen anything. If it's back in business that's great.

Fill me in. Didn't It close down during the pandemic? Has it reopened? Being in Dallas I haven't seen anything. If it's back in business that's great.
I live in DFW too, just played Stevens Park last week. Butterfield is definitely re opened and going strong, had some buddies back home playing yesterday, say it's looking great.

You can always google these things and find the answers. Much easier and faster than posting a question on Digs.

New owner bringing it back, but it’s not quite in top shape yet.

New owner bringing it back, but it’s not quite in top shape yet.
Man I bet the new owner got a great deal from the city if that's the case. City chose not to pay the 1 million annual maintenance fee as part of the cut backs (from what I understand).

Man I bet the new owner got a great deal from the city if that's the case. City chose not to pay the 1 million annual maintenance fee as part of the cut backs (from what I understand).
Stupid the airport let it go to seed. It’s a gem.

Reactions: axingfools1
Got a question for you Unihorn. If you had to choose just one municipal course at this time of year in EP, which would it be? Gonna be in town later this week and a buddy and I were planning on playing Painted Dunes. I am open to suggestions, though.

Is Butterfield Trail all that?

Got a question for you Unihorn. If you had to choose just one municipal course at this time of year in EP, which would it be? Gonna be in town later this week and a buddy and I were planning on playing Painted Dunes. I am open to suggestions, though.

I've never played Butterfield, but here is my 3 that I do play.

1. Lone Star - i like it because its nice and flat. You can hit a bad shot and recover. My lowest rounds are always at Lone Star.

2. Ascarate - For whatever reason, when people talk about Ascarate they always shit on it. I love this course. If you miss the fairway it kinda blows. But has some beautiful holes, wide fairways, nice greens, and the fairways greens and tee boxes are always in good shape.

3. Painted Dunes - nice course to play. They do a great job on the maintenance and it has some great hole designs. It can be the most unforgiving of the 3 if you miss the fairway. But I prefer Ascarate over Painted Dunes. Think its a better course IMO and its cheaper.

1. Lone Star - i like it because its nice and flat. You can hit a bad shot and recover. My lowest rounds are always at Lone Star.

2. Ascarate - For whatever reason, when people talk about Ascarate they always shit on it. I love this course. If you miss the fairway it kinda blows. But has some beautiful holes, wide fairways, nice greens, and the fairways greens and tee boxes are always in good shape.

3. Painted Dunes - nice course to play. They do a great job on the maintenance and it has some great hole designs. It can be the most unforgiving of the 3 if you miss the fairway. But I prefer Ascarate over Painted Dunes. Think its a better course IMO and its cheaper.
Thanks kbp!

I’ve played 2 and 3, but it’s been a while. Never played Lone Star. Ill have to look into that.

Reactions: kickballpro

I love the Butterfield layout. If you haven’t gone, you need to.

I know you weren’t asking me but my preferences are: 1) Horizon; 2) Lone Star; 3) Butterfield.

I haven’t played there in a while (had rotator cuff surgery), but last time I played it was coming back and looking great. The fairways were lush green and they were redesigning some of the holes. The course does play really long though.

Reactions: kickballpro
I’m thinking Butterfield and Lone Star it’ll be. Thanks for the suggestions fellas.
Butterfield is (or was)in a class by itself by my standards. Always enjoyed Painted Dunes and Lone Star as well. Hundred years ago played Ascarate and Horizon...Santa Teresa when it existed.
Can't play anywhere now. Have COPD along with some other issues. Wish I could join you.

Butterfield is (or was)in a class by itself by my standards. Always enjoyed Painted Dunes and Lone Star as well. Hundred years ago played Ascarate and Horizon...Santa Teresa when it existed.
Can't play anywhere now. Have COPD along with some other issues. Wish I could join you.
I’m sorry to hear that, man. Maybe we can catch a game instead. Up at UNT, or if we were to play someone else in the Big D area (if that’s where you still are).

I’m sorry to hear that, man. Maybe we can catch a game instead. Up at UNT, or if we were to play someone else in the Big D area (if that’s where you still are).
Yes sir! Still in Dallas. Coincidentally I am in EP right now, just finishing some queso fundido, nachos, etc at Carlos y Mickeys. Hopefully we can talk again and meet in Dallas.

BTW...Was very disappointed with the nachos and fundido. Nachos were made with flour tortillas, very few beans and no jalapeños. The fundido was just on a plate, at room temp and got hard and cold immediately. Not good hard and cold!
C&M continues to have the neatest bar, which was the greatest attraction.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
BTW...Was very disappointed with the nachos and fundido. Nachos were made with flour tortillas, very few beans and no jalapeños. The fundido was just on a plate, at room temp and got hard and cold immediately. Not good hard and cold!
C&M continues to have the neatest bar, which was the greatest attraction.
Nothing like Fundido that turns to candle wax in 5 minutes!

I live in DFW too, just played Stevens Park last week. Butterfield is definitely re opened and going strong, had some buddies back home playing yesterday, say it's looking great.
I love Steven's Park!! Back to back par 3's. Lol

Sorry to hear you are not golfing anymore. I live in Dallas as well, maybe we should share a couple of beers one day
Dave! That's a great idea. There seems to be so many of us in the area we should do a group thing.

About 2 months ago, Butterfield was in horrible condition. I vowed never to be back. I hope it's better.

I agree with your Ascarate assessment. It is in really great condition compared to previous eras. The County Parks director is really doing a great job. I have an easier time with desert style courses than with tree courses. But you're right on.

How is Horizon doing? I haven't been there is probably 15 years.
I don't play (not a weekly or bi-weekly local "golfer") but I work in the local real estate industry and pass thru and it looks good. What a bounce back from a few short years ago.

Reactions: mikesarabia
My son played Butterfield today. Says it’s very dry and there’s no water in the water hazards. 🙁

Drove by Underwood on Fort Bliss. Greens look great but fairways looked awful. Not even sure its playable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT