ADVERTISEMENT

C- USA/ NCAA Baseball ⚾ Tournament

Due to title 9 if UTEP started up a baseball program they would also have to add another women's sport, I believe.

In baseball a team is allowed 11.7 scholarships that can be divided among 27 or 30 players.

Womens swimming and diving teams are allowed 14 scholarships also divided up.

That would be a good pair. A number of div 1 baseball programs operate on approx $1,000,000 per year. Not sure of the swimming and diving costs.

If UTEP could find a sponsor to offer $2 million per year they could offer these 2 sports. I might find a couple of bucks in change in my couch but that comes up a bit short. Who can UTEP's AD hit up for the rest?

Local talent? Do you have any idea or estimate how many high schoolers get D1 scholarship offers in men’s baseball and soccer? You couldn’t even field a starting 9 or 11.
I don't have exacts number but plenty of baseball players have d1 scholarships. I know of at least 3 young EP kids playing in either Liga MX or MLS. Which is alot better than college soccer.

I don't have exacts number but plenty of baseball players have d1 scholarships. I know of at least 3 young EP kids playing in either Liga MX or MLS. Which is alot better than college soccer.
Munoz for Santos, Pepi in Dallas, who is the 3rd? Those guys are exceptional talents and wouldn’t have played college soccer anyway. So then there’s none or maybe 1 scholarship guy a year? How are we supposed to field a competitive team with 1 local kid?

If there’s plenty, you should be able to name 1 or 2 current D1 players that played high school baseball in El Paso.

Munoz for Santos, Pepi in Dallas, who is the 3rd? Those guys are exceptional talents and wouldn’t have played college soccer anyway. So then there’s none or maybe 1 scholarship guy a year? How are we supposed to field a competitive team with 1 local kid?

If there’s plenty, you should be able to name 1 or 2 current D1 players that played high school baseball in El Paso.
Well Ivan Melendez has been mentioned here by Corona. Dude is a beast at UT.

I played High School baseball in the early 90's and there were a bunch of D1/pro prospects. Not sure how it is now. My sons went to Montwood and I'm pretty there were multiple that received scholarship offers over the past 10 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCorona
For USL there's Chapa Herrera and Memo Diaz. Of course Omar Salgado who at one point was the #1 pick in the MLS.

Reactions: kickballpro
A bunch of guys spread out over different years and for arguments sake, we will assume they would choose UTEP over better colleges and pro contracts. Like the baseball player at UT is going to stay home at UTEP and lose 30 games a year.

There’s not enough high school talent in El Paso to make these teams competitive year in and year out.

Fans wouldn’t care and the teams would be horrible. UTEP should concentrate on making their poor football and basketball programs better instead of some saying we should add new ones.

Drop football and then add baseball and soccer, but those teams will suck just as bad as the football team.

Five guys playing in either Liga MX/MLS all within a similar age of 18-23. Add the three local kids Locomotive added to their Academy and that's 8 kids all u23 playing pro soccer right now. Plus the other older ones I'm not counting.

My point stands. El Paso has local talent. It's too bad you're always shitting on everything EP to acknowledge it.

5 guys playing pro soccer that wouldn’t have chosen UTEP and didn’t choose college soccer. Great way to make your point that UTEP soccer and baseball would get these talents. 5 guys in a 5 year age gap in a city of 750,000+. Really impressive!

El Paso would not be able to field a men’s soccer or baseball team as they don’t have enough D1 prospects. Chapa Herrera was working construction when he tried out for the Locomotives. Something tells me, he wasn’t really interested in pursuing a college education. Worked out for him.

5 guys playing pro soccer that wouldn’t have chosen UTEP and didn’t choose college soccer. Great way to make your point that UTEP soccer and baseball would get these talents. 5 guys in a 5 year age gap in a city of 750,000+. Really impressive!

El Paso would not be able to field a men’s soccer or baseball team as they don’t have enough D1 prospects. Chapa Herrera was working construction when he tried out for the Locomotives. Something tells me, he wasn’t really interested in pursuing a college education. Worked out for him.
What am I missing here?

UTEP wouldn’t have to field a team of kids just from EP, first of all. SMU has just 5 kids from the whole DFW metroplex. Everybody else is from out of town, state, country.

Second, the talent that does exist in EP would become more apparent if there was the option for them to stay home and play. You’d probably actually hear about them. The talent is there.

Third, the rest of the state of Texas is saturated with talent. Recruiting could be extremely cost effective. Especially with the amount of JCs that field a team in TX.

Here's the deal with soccer and baseball. They aren't full scholarship sports. Usually four to five guys share one scholarship. Baseball has 11 scholarships . Soccer has nine. They don't get free meals, and snacks. They don't get free housing or books. They don't get the coa stipend football and basketball players get. If a kid can play on an academy team it's a way better deal than d1 soccer. Baseball has gotten better the last decade at getting some of the best prospects to go to school instead of turning pro. However, it's never going to be a fully funded sport from scholarship perspective..

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
What am I missing here?

UTEP wouldn’t have to field a team of kids just from EP, first of all. SMU has just 5 kids from the whole DFW metroplex. Everybody else is from out of town, state, country.

Second, the talent that does exist in EP would become more apparent if there was the option for them to stay home and play. You’d probably actually hear about them. The talent is there.

Third, the rest of the state of Texas is saturated with talent. Recruiting could be extremely cost effective. Especially with the amount of JCs that field a team in TX.
Corona said based on “all the local talent”
Post in thread 'C- USA/ NCAA Baseball ⚾ Tournament'
https://utep.forums.rivals.com/threads/c-usa-ncaa-baseball-⚾-tournament.10631/post-172903

There hardly is any local talent, especially in soccer. We’re just getting a bunch of out of city guys for those two sports and if we suck, like most UTEP sports do, what’s the point? UTEP would have bottom of the barrel baseball and men’s soccer teams. No doubt about it. Have one of the best softball facilities in G5 and nothing to show for it.

Here's the deal with soccer and baseball. They aren't full scholarship sports. Usually four to five guys share one scholarship. Baseball has 11 scholarships . Soccer has nine. They don't get free meals, and snacks. They don't get free housing or books. They don't get the coa stipend football and basketball players get. If a kid can play on an academy team it's a way better deal than d1 soccer. Baseball has gotten better the last decade at getting some of the best prospects to go to school instead of turning pro. However, it's never going to be a fully funded sport from scholarship perspective..
Yes, but Corona is saying that these guys that turned pro are going to stay and play soccer for UTEP. El Paso might have a bunch of high school guys that played soccer their whole life, but other than a handful, they’re not D1 material.

Ricardo Pepi left El Paso when he was like 14 to chase his pro dream. All the good players don’t waste their time playing college soccer. Many MLS teams trade away their draft picks for a sack of balls or just flat out refuse to use the pick. College soccer is for marginal prospects now. And El Paso isn’t even seeing guys get those scholarships.

This topic again...

There is NOT going to be a baseball or men's soccer team at UTEP anytime soon... period...

The current club soccer team has more players than fans. There is no baseball field on campus. "Just use Southwest University Park..." what, you think that comes for free? That's spending a lot of money for a sport that gets few fans. I remember the days of Dudley Field. It was a ghost town.

First of all I said based on the amount of local talent. As in EP would actually be an option when recruiting. Not that the entire team is from EP.

Yes I know we're never getting either sport at UTEP

Doesn't change the fact that through the years many kids from EP have gone to play d1 baseball or pro soccer. The same can't be said for football and basketball.

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT