ADVERTISEMENT

Camp Ruidoso

sweetlou#1

Starter
Jun 27, 2009
Just got back from being in Ruidoso for a couple of days. I had not been in that area for several years, but was surprised at the beauty of the entire mountain area. The summer rain transformed the entire valley, a solid green. One would think one was in Aspen or those other wonderful resort areas in Colorado or Utah. Simply beautiful. As far as Camp Ruidoso is concerned - fantastic facility!! I have been to Cowboy and Raider camps in Cali, but IMO Camp Ruidoso is superior. The Sierra Blanca lodge, the Convention Center, and the football fields have to be ranked in the superior category. Additionally, the camp is adjacent to a beautiful golf course with reasonable prices to boot!!
Watched a Miner practice and saw perhaps, the largest young men on the face of this earth! The lineman are as big or perhaps bigger than any NFL team IMO. At the cookout, later that afternoon I met several of these young guys and had enjoyable conversations, especially those coming from Cali. The largest and most interesting kid was Chris Misaalefu (sp?). At first, I thought he was Latino and it brought a hearty chuckle from this giant kid. He informed me he was Samoan from a small town outside Fresno. Attended a school that was primarily Hispanic and fit in perfectly. Roster lists him at 6'5" - 375, but I think he is perhaps 6"7" - I took a pic with him and a kid named Chance Bishop - a freshman from Dallas who is 6'6" 325 - Chris was taller than Chance and much, much larger. I was the shrimp at 6"1". Anyway, it was a great community event hosted by UTEP - lots of folks, good food, cold beer, lots of camaraderie from the old days - glad I jumped on a plane and made my way to Camp Ruidoso! See you folks at some of the home games - feeling good about having a great season.

There is no doubt that Coach Kug meant what he said.
" I will walk away if we haven't won by year 3."
Coach Kug is a man of his word. We are very fortunate
to have him here at UTEP.

Go Miners...

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Definitely like Kug's no non-sense approach. Players definitely seem to have bought in, and those that haven't appear to fall off like ripe fruit from a tree.

It is fair to say that all those people that didn't believe in him coming in or in year one, had a valid opinion. Its nice to see all those who never gave him a chance eat crow! That was the thing we were missing with Price (was a CMP supporter), TOUGHNESS. I am so glad to see the program grow, and hoping he sticks around.

Sweetlou is what being a sports fan is all about. Being a true fan is it's own reward. You can just tell that Sweetlou had the time of his life reveling to Ruidoso and following the team he loves. You cannot measure that kind of profound pleasure simply by wins and losses. I too love the nuances of fandom and have great lifetime memories of following the Miners the trolls be damned.

Sweetlou is what being a sports fan is all about. Being a true fan is it's own reward. You can just tell that Sweetlou had the time of his life reveling to Ruidoso and following the team he loves. You cannot measure that kind of profound pleasure simply by wins and losses. I too love the nuances of fandom and have great lifetime memories of following the Miners the trolls be damned.

Dude, you really seem to relish any opportunity to stir the shit. The forum has been really quiet lately in regards to "trolls". Kind of a troll move on your part to try and rile the trolls, huh?

Most everybody on here has an opinion or else they wouldn't be posting. Funny you seem to believe that you hold the golden key to what being a "true" fan is all about (there's that self congratulatory pat on the back I mentioned that you called bullshit on). Your definition, while it paints a nice rose colored picture and is definitely part of the totality of being a fan, is fairly narrow and limiting. Aside from one, maybe two posters, there isn't any question about where their fandom lies. I don't see any wavering of fandom. I see wavering of emotion as it relates to specific situations/circumstances to a greater or lesser degree. That is the very essence of being a fan(atic), by definition, tho. If you're so steady that your emotions don't waver in regards to wins/losses, ups/downs, etc, then you probably should have your lithium levels checked and stop drinking that EP H2O.

Rant over.

Agreed, OP had quite a nice write up.

Last edited:
1adeb1406a0c3da9ff62558f736ad55f.600x.jpg

Must be the preseason.

Reactions: Cicileslie
Cicileslie, bullshit. Again. The only thing narrow and limiting is my girlfriend's thong. And as far as accusing someone of stirring the shit by you yourself, stirring the shit, bullshit!

Step out of the mitote, Vegas. You take yourself much too seriously.

I stir the shit with those who stir the shit. What good did your troll comment do? What was your intention in writing it? Provocation?

You mind being more specific when you say I'm full of shit? At least I pinpoint what I've called you out on.

Reactions: develman
Lou, thanks for sharing your observations. I'm looking forward to this season. I think Kugker and staff are doing all the right things in building this program. Coach has a plan and is sticking to it. I think we all agree the defense will be strong again this year. I'm curious to see who our starting QB will be and what type or receivers we will have.

Dude, you really seem to relish any opportunity to stir the shit. The forum has been really quiet lately in regards to "trolls". Kind of a troll move on your part to try and rile the trolls, huh?

Most everybody on here has an opinion or else they wouldn't be posting. Funny you seem to believe that you hold the golden key to what being a "true" fan is all about (there's that self congratulatory pat on the back I mentioned that you called bullshit on). Your definition, while it paints a nice rose colored picture and is definitely part of the totality of being a fan, is fairly narrow and limiting. Aside from one, maybe two posters, there isn't any question about where their fandom lies. I don't see any wavering of fandom. I see wavering of emotion as it relates to specific situations/circumstances to a greater or lesser degree. That is the very essence of being a fan(atic), by definition, tho. If you're so steady that your emotions don't waver in regards to wins/losses, ups/downs, etc, then you probably should have your lithium levels checked and stop drinking that EP H2O.

Rant over.

Agreed, OP had quite a nice write up.
Whoa, did you miss your meds today? What the heck did the guy say that got you so stirred up? Chill out, fellow.

Whoa, did you miss your meds today? What the heck did the guy say that got you so stirred up? Chill out, fellow.

If you don't have any prior context it wouldn't make much sense. Lets just say we've got a little back and forth going. I can assure you that it was fairly benign post. Not much to chill out from. Just pointing out the pot calling the kettle black.

Moving along...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT