ADVERTISEMENT

Canales on his way out?

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
I don't hear much, like I used to when I was in EP and closer to the program. However now and again a nugget does comes my way. Take it for what it's worth, but Canales is interviewing with other schools. Dimel had said he wants leaving coaches to secure jobs before announcing it. So there's a good chance he was told he wouldn't be retained next year and should look for a new place. We'll see though if he in fact is out and whom else.

I don't hear much, like I used to when I was in EP and closer to the program. However now and again a nugget does comes my way. Take it for what it's worth, but Canales is interviewing with other schools. Dimel had said he wants leaving coaches to secure jobs before announcing it. So there's a good chance he was told he wouldn't be retained next year and should look for a new place. We'll see though if he in fact is out and whom else.
[UTSA]".....Other coaches who could be considered are Jason Washington, Texas cornerbacks coach and a MacArthur graduate; Mike Canales, UTEP offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach; and Matt Mumme, offensive coordinator at Nevada."

https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/utsa-football/273-bcdfb046-8d10-458c-bd53-c48b9184e705

Utsa isn’t going to hire the offensive coordinator of the worst program in college football to be their HC.

They might take a stab at Strong.

Either way, writing on the wall he's out. I'm not sold on our defensive coordinator either.

Dimel fell further behind in recruiting the December he was hired because he wanted to coach a meaningless bowl for Kansas State. Given he was already behind the 8 ball that year anyway but as a new head coach you need to hit the ground running

Dimel decided not to have a signing day press conference last year in the early signing period because he wanted to announce all incoming players together, rather than doing what the rest of the nation does. Some may say this is meaningless but it means a lot to those players that signed, especially when they see all their buddies signing and getting recognized.

While all of CUSA is announcing moves UTEP is going to sit back an make sure all departing coaches have jobs...

I just don't get Dimel and his way of thinking.

Dimel fell further behind in recruiting the December he was hired because he wanted to coach a meaningless bowl for Kansas State. Given he was already behind the 8 ball that year anyway but as a new head coach you need to hit the ground running

Dimel decided not to have a signing day press conference last year in the early signing period because he wanted to announce all incoming players together, rather than doing what the rest of the nation does. Some may say this is meaningless but it means a lot to those players that signed, especially when they see all their buddies signing and getting recognized.

While all of CUSA is announcing moves UTEP is going to sit back an make sure all departing coaches have jobs...

I just don't get Dimel and his way of thinking.
Gentleman's rules. He still plays it and it's chivalrous and sends good vibes to the coaching network, but he is not fooling anyone because most HC's don't say anything. He's playing a hand for placation and to calm nerves to big boosters.

Not to mention he didn’t want to develop the qbs of the future during a meaningless final four game stretch cuz he wants to make sure Kai enjoys his final snaps as an FBS qb.
Well, against your rival, NMSU, you play to win, always.

Well, against your rival, NMSU, you play to win, always.
Ok cool, what about the other 11 games on the schedule? We open the season against NMSU. It would have been nice to at least know how those two young bucks would do in a live game time situation. He ain’t worried about winning today or tomorrow.

I think it's safe to say UTEP football is hemorrhaging right now. Damn, and the DC Stoker incident was a soap opera that Kugler coudn't even contain but this this is worse.

My money says Dimel goes Coach Snyder a la 1989; full JUCO baby! That's what Snyder did to bring KSU from the depths of D-1A oblivion.

It's a helluva a gamble but it worked.

I think it's safe to say UTEP football is hemorrhaging right now. Damn, and the DC Stoker incident was a soap opera that Kugler coudn't even contain but this this is worse.

My money says Dimel goes Coach Snyder a la 1989; full JUCO baby! That's what Snyder did to bring KSU from the depths of D-1A oblivion.

It's a helluva a gamble but it worked.
Dimel mentioned signing 6 JC guys early. That should be a bare minimum with all the holes, especially on defense.

Ok cool, what about the other 11 games on the schedule? We open the season against NMSU. It would have been nice to at least know how those two young bucks would do in a live game time situation. He ain’t worried about winning today or tomorrow.
Can't argue with that. At least Hardison got some meaningful time in the last game, although it wasn't by choice.

What bothered me most is that, once he was in, the coaches didn't seem to know how to use him. It's like, Hardison could be the QB of the future in competent hands, but what the coaches displayed while he was in was the opposite of competence. It doesn't inspire confidence in our skipper.

Dimmel is the one calling the plays, unfortunately for Canales, he's taking the heat for it. That being said, we need Dimmel to give up the play calling and just concentrate on being the head coach
Unfortunately Dimel sucks at being a HC as well. Things aren't going to get better when your HC is on a 10 game losing streak and decides to bring in the backup FG kicker to kick an extra point and misses it because it is senior day. We will just bring in Canales 2.0 and Cox 2.0 next season to work with our proven loser head coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Things aren't going to get better when your HC is on a 10 game losing streak and decides to bring in the backup FG kicker to kick an extra point and misses it because it is senior day.
Right. Because we were really fighting for a playoff berth Saturday.

Unfortunately Dimel sucks at being a HC as well. Things aren't going to get better when your HC is on a 10 game losing streak and decides to bring in the backup FG kicker to kick an extra point and misses it because it is senior day. We will just bring in Canales 2.0 and Cox 2.0 next season to work with our proven loser head coach.
Sounds a lot like Kugler ( who needs a stinking kicker).
Wish I could win the lottery so I could can his butt.

Right. Because we were really fighting for a playoff berth Saturday.
You are right. Who really cares about putting your team in the best position to win the Rice game and end a 10 game losing streak and not go winless in CUSA play. Ya we went on a 11 game losing streak this season, but this season was a huge success because every player received a participation trophy from goofball Dimel and they were all winners in his eyes.

Last edited:
You are right. Who really cares about putting your team in the best position to win the Rice game and end a 10 game losing streak and not go winless in CUSA play. Ya we went on a 11 game losing streak this season, but this season was a huge success because every player received a participation trophy from goofball Dimel and they were all winners in his eyes.
The really crazy part of this is if the intention was to get Viles some brief game action as a senior, why not just let him kickoff? Viles was known for his strong, yet erratic leg. The thing that bugged me was that Viles came off the field laughing as if it was some kind of joke that he shanked the kick. I think that shows how much some of these guy's heads were in the game. If the players don't care, why should the fans?

Just speculating here but we all know Dimel is pretty stubborn so I don't think he is making assistant changes voluntarily. I think Senter is getting nervous that his pick is not going to work out so, I think that Senter has had his end of season talk with Dimel and told him, I think, that the team needs to be much better next year or it will be his last. Speculating. I think.

The really crazy part of this is if the intention was to get Viles some brief game action as a senior, why not just let him kickoff? Viles was known for his strong, yet erratic leg. The thing that bugged me was that Viles came off the field laughing as if it was some kind of joke that he shanked the kick. I think that shows how much some of these guy's heads were in the game. If the players don't care, why should the fans?
Exactly...good post. Unfortunately the players don't care because the coaches are incompetent. When you score a TD to tie the game in the 2nd quarter, you don't put in your backup kicker to kick an XP because it is senior day. Do it late in the 4th quarter when we already know we are going to lose the game. When you see stupid crap like this, it is obvious why Dimel has a terrible record as a HC.

Last edited:
Exactly...good post. Unfortunately the players don't care because the coaches are incompetent. When you score a TD to tie the game in the 2nd quarter, you don't put in your backup kicker to kick an XP because it is senior day. Do it late in the 4th quarter when we already know we are going to lose the game. When you see stupid crap like this, it is obvious why Dimel has a terrible record as a HC.

100%. You put the scrubs in at garbage time. Everyone knows that.

Reactions: Lil_Train
That's why Dimel needs to go.

This happened during Nord's last year: Players were seen on the sideline taking pictures with their cell phones and appeared to have no interest in the game. There were rumors....rumors....that many players were slightly hungover for the Cal Poly game from a previous night of drinking.

During Price era, UTEP maintenance had constant repairs to the student apartments because his players would just go to town breaking things. One lineman (not giving away names or sources) tried to recruit players to UTEP because "the pot is really good here in El Paso".

Kugler had a tight lid on the team. One players got booted for alleged assault, McFarland for whatever substance he took that is illegal, but he did let AJ play after his DUI. Those are the only confirmed public offenses. He was just not ready to coach a FBS program and kept he bar low for the program (the whole similarity to Rice bs) and ran an offense that was anemic, would not improve the passing game nor believed that special teams needed that much attention (yes, he really admitted to that).

With Dimel, he brought in KL and between he and Locksley it was "Hold my beer" and UTEP fans witnessed all of the above.

Did cell phones have cameras in 2003?
Lol. Actually yes. I believe it was right around 2003 when the first cameras in cell phones appeared. It was a big deal. I was in high school and remember all the commotion about them.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Lol. Actually yes. I believe it was right around 2003 when the first cameras in cell phones appeared. It was a big deal. I was in high school and remember all the commotion about them.
Yup. They just came out. Some you attached it on, others were built it. I have one with Mike Price and my kid his first year. The megapixels were like 1.0.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT