ADVERTISEMENT

Chapin frosh KJ Lewis

Go check him out if you haven’t.
Posted about him weeks ago. Hope he has good family that keep him grounded.

Chapin sports and band is nucking futs. It's cult like over there. Parents and kids go to my church and rarely can they help (even in summer) because they have to go sacrifice a fattened calf or baby goat to the sports or band gods and if they don't, they're ostracized.

And he's just a freshman.

He plays like he’s a pretty mature and disciplined kid for his age.

I would expect his numbers to stay about the same unless he transfers out of town to another high school. The competition here is not that great and they will just double/triple team him.

Surprised Johnny Melvin Jr. didn't receive mention, but he might not have been eligible the whole season.

Rumor is there are temper issues too (on the court at least).
Can confirm this. He’s too raw to be a D1 player skill wise too, super athletic, but his skillset is still very very raw, JUCO might be his best ticket, he can be a D1 guy down the road just not in his first two years out of HS

Reactions: axingfools1
My source: Family, parents and friends who work there.

giphy.gif

Can confirm this. He’s too raw to be a D1 player skill wise too, super athletic, but his skillset is still very very raw, JUCO might be his best ticket, he can be a D1 guy down the road just not in his first two years out of HS

yeah, but he’s a scorer

yeah, but he’s a scorer
He’s a scorer against 5’9 defenders from Bowie and Austin High but he’s not a “skilled” scorer if that makes sense.

please believe I’m not trying to shit on the kid, but his game has got some maturing to do before he can be productive against guys who are equal his to athletic abilities.

Reactions: unihorn
He’s a scorer against 5’9 defenders from Bowie and Austin High but he’s not a “skilled” scorer if that makes sense.

please believe I’m not trying to shit on the kid, but his game has got some maturing to do before he can be productive against guys who are equal his to athletic abilities.

Yeah, that’s fair.

Johnny Melvin was from my college days. Unfortunately his early years were anything but "smooth" and he got suspended for a full season.

Hope Jr. follows a better path.
Saw Smooth at BCI Tourney back in 87 when he was playing with a group from Chicago (playing against L.A.-Watts). I was impressed and man what a game (that and NY-Christ The King vs Oakland). Even Shaq was in that tourney but he wasn't the talk of the tourney but rather Malik Sealy (RIP) from NY who went to St. John's. Got to meet him too.

But jump to D1 is big even for the best of recruits and Melvin was no exception.

Saw Smooth at BCI Tourney back in 87 when he was playing with a group from Chicago (playing against L.A.-Watts). I was impressed and man what a game (that and NY-Christ The King vs Oakland). Even Shaq was in that tourney but he wasn't the talk of the tourney but rather Malik Sealy (RIP) from NY who went to St. John's. Got to meet him too.

But jump to D1 is big even for the best of recruits and Melvin was no exception.

I had him for a class. I remember him going once the first week and never seeing him again.

Funny guy, but I remember a scathing opinion piece criticizing UTEP for signing him. I believe it was by Joe Meunch

I had him for a class. I remember him going once the first week and never seeing him again.

Funny guy, but I remember a scathing opinion piece criticizing UTEP for signing him. I believe it was by Joe Meunch

I wish the El Paso Times still criticized UTEP.

I also had him for a class and same thing, saw him once and never again.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Congrats young man. Stay on the right path and the world will be at your feet.

Is it crazy think or project that if this kid keeps busting his tail and rising like he is that he could become a lottery pick type of prospect in less than a year or so from now?
Not crazy, but the competition here sucks pretty bad. I've never seen him play in person, but this could certainly be the AJ effect. We can only assume that the espn scouts have seen him. Just keep in mind that he is rated a 90 (barely 5 star) as opposed to the high 90s where you would see lottery picks.

He may need to move on to a better opportunity to really see what he can do against better competition. At least CRT has offered early, but at this rate he could be gone before KJ even graduates.

Not crazy, but the competition here sucks pretty bad. I've never seen him play in person, but this could certainly be the AJ effect. We can only assume that the espn scouts have seen him. Just keep in mind that he is rated a 90 (barely 5 star) as opposed to the high 90s where you would see lottery picks.

He may need to move on to a better opportunity to really see what he can do against better competition. At least CRT has offered early, but at this rate he could be gone before KJ even graduates.
Yeah he ain’t rising up that board against Bowie and Austin High, I’m sure he’s gonna spend next summer going to showcase to showcase and LBJ Skills Academy where he can really show his skills against other Dawgs . Will be fun to watch this kid.

Yeah he ain’t rising up that board against Bowie and Austin High, I’m sure he’s gonna spend next summer going to showcase to showcase and LBJ Skills Academy where he can really show his skills against other Dawgs . Will be fun to watch this kid.
Doing the Panthers dirty RB! But you and DMan are right, anyone over 6 ft at Austin is playing Center!

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Understand that high school prospects aren't really rated based on HS stats, but how they perform at the AAU tournaments. I can guarantee that he isn't being guarded by 5'6" guys there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT