ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Game Thread

Crazy Stat

If UTEP doesn't choke they'll have one less conference win than conference leader WKU.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
The commentators said UTEP will get a west division 5th seed if they just win one of the games in this weekend series?

Charlotte has some knockoff looking uniforms. They steal the pick then put "CLT" which probably gets a lot of jokes shot their way on the road

The national champion is coming out of the Big East. Creighton lost but are playing good ball.

CUSA is one bid again but my money is on ODU as much as I despise them.

How did Onyema do? I mean he is the headliner for most of the UTEP MBB social media posts.

Missed a lob dunk coming down the middle of the lane, couldn't tell if it was a shot or pass it was so off, if he would have controlled the ball it would have been a spectacular play, ....... he lost the ball and it banged of the backboard, but man he looked like he's was 2ft above the rim. Vuc getting more time and looks competent for a freshman and hit a nice 3pt on the wing. Don't know if it was Charlotte's bad inside D or the way we played but when we get the ball inside we look good. We will see tomorrow.

Missed a lob dunk coming down the middle of the lane, couldn't tell if it was a shot or pass it was so off, if he would have controlled the ball it would have been a spectacular play, ....... he lost the ball and it banged of the backboard, but man he looked like he's was 2ft above the rim. Vuc getting more time and looks competent for a freshman and hit a nice 3pt on the wing. Don't know if it was Charlotte's bad inside D or the way we played but when we get the ball inside we look good. We will see tomorrow.
It was a pass, but as you say, it was off. It was impressive that he went up and got it and almost got the dunk.

49'ers inside d was a freshman. He lit up UAB and a stud recruit out of high school according to commentators but he looked out of it tonight: Out of position, holding the ball like a loaf of bread.

I expect 49'ers to be a total 180 tomorrow afternoon. It was just one of those bad games you burn the film on.

Zags are going to win the championship in a walk.
Yeah. But the country has to been watching the Zags to pull it off it off since early 90's and they don't. Baylor last few years as well but they bounce early.

Buy who knows?

Big East had been a intra conference beast for top contenders. No other power conference could survive their 20-21 covid schedule. It was tough week in week out.

Big East had been a intra conference beast for top contenders. No other power conference could survive their 20-21 covid schedule. It was tough week in week out.
Big East will have as many qualifiers as the Mountain West this year. Mountain West will get 3 in for sure, and possibly a 4th.
Zags had one of the toughest out of conference schedules out there. (4th strongest in the nation). Extremely tough to stop their offense.

You can find 6 Big 12 schools that are ranked ahead of any Big East school in strength of schedule. It is a down year for the Big East. If you also want to look at non conference power ratings, Gonzaga is 3rd and the top Big East school is Creighton at 17 right with SDSU and Boise State which are in the top 25.

I just don't see where the Big East is going to all of a sudden stand out in the tournament. Especially with the conference being the 7th best in Power Ratings. Even the WCC is ranked ahead of them. A better bet would be the Big 12 which will get at least 7 in or possibly the Big 10. Outside a school in those conferences besides Gonzaga, it is going to be tough to find someone else this year that is going to win it.

Had to tell about the Big East, teams often look the part then collapse in the tourney, others don't look that great then go far. Goes to show any team can get hot or lucky. I subscribe to the peak theory, Baylor, Zags et al may have peaked as of now while other teams out there like Tech or SDSU may have their best games ahead of them. The most consistent teams (play wise) often don't take it all.

Had to tell about the Big East, teams often look the part then collapse in the tourney, others don't look that great then go far. Goes to show any team can get hot or lucky. I subscribe to the peak theory, Baylor, Zags et al may have peaked as of now while other teams out there like Tech or SDSU may have their best games ahead of them. The most consistent teams (play wise) often don't take it all.
Baylor had that long pause due to Covid and it has hurt them. They got blown out by Kansas in their return game. Can they get their rhythm back is the question. Yet, they had a semi tough out of conference schedule, so that should help them in the tournament.

SDSU seems to be playing their best basketball right now in a very tough conference this year. They blew Creighton out by 30 last year, but is not the same team as they have problems scoring, but defensively have looked great. They do not match up with Gonzaga this year though. Bad matchup but few teams do. Next year SDSU is bringing in some incredible talent as they have 2 NBA type players, and should have an even better team than they had last year. They will also be young as they will be mostly sophomores and freshmen.

I think it going to come down on where you are placed in the bracket. Away from Gonzaga is best. Villanova besides one win against Texas is untested out of the conference. Creighton has not won or even played (besides 1 loss against Kansas) any tough games out of conference. I would be salivating to be in that bracket especially if they put Villanova as a 2 seed.

Michigan, Illinois and Ohio State also had weak out of conference schedules. It will be interesting to see how good these teams really are when they are not beating up on their own conference.

When you look at the out of conference schedules, it just seems that Gonzaga's is head and shoulders above the rest. I just don't see them being taken down very easily.

I have to laugh as they are trying to put in all the name teams regardless of how bad they have looked all year. Duke, NC, Mich St win a game and they have them on the bubble. If I was any other team, I would love to go up against any of them this year as they haven't justified any reason to be sniffing the tournament and will get destroyed when they play tough out of conference teams.

If anyone is interested, this is a great site for college basketball:

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think the real question is who's going to win CUSA.
UTEP is still so bad on the road its hard to even get up for the tournament. Actually I haven't kept up with the CUSA standing for the past few weeks. Taking a look it seems that La Tech has been on a roll. Maybe it's time for either them or WKU to get in.

I just kinda want the season to be over so we can be a step closer to looking for a new coach. I'm also very interested to start seeing who on the roster will be gone. I have my guesses.

Last edited:
Reactions: utep-piggy
Our defense looks pretty good, but Charlotte has zero inside game making it easy for us to attack on the perimiter. If we did that against say WKU we would get blown up in the paint. That's why it is imperative that we find a rim defender for next season.

Our offense still sucks. We are making 3s right now, but take that away and we are dead. Why hasn't Terry figured out how to attack off the double teams? Bieniemy needs to do a better job of applying pressure and making plays on offense. I just wish he had more direction

Our defense looks pretty good, but Charlotte has zero inside game making it easy for us to attack on the perimiter. If we did that against say WKU we would get blown up in the paint. That's why it is imperative that we find a rim defender for next season.

Our offense still sucks. We are making 3s right now, but take that away and we are dead. Why hasn't Terry figured out how to attack off the double teams? Bieniemy needs to do a better job of applying pressure and making plays on offense. I just wish he had more direction
I'm happy with the score at the half. The Miners actually look like they're finally figuring some things out, with some better chemistry and good passes in recent games.

Man, the wheels are really coming off for Sanchez and Charlotte. They look absolutely uninspired, like they’re just going through the motions. Their interior defense is terrible.

Boum is on fire today!

Reactions: axingfools1
I've whined and complained about multiple things this season, but here's a new one. I am extremely disappointed in Bieniemy and wonder what he has contributed. He's really overhyped IMO. If we had any kind of offensive production from the point it would have been a vastly better season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT