ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Game Thread

It doesn't matter who wins the regular season. Why can't this game help us elevate our game before the real 4 game season starts?

Yes, it does. You get to claim to be champions and you’re guaranteed a NIT berth in regular years. Maybe it’s the same this year.

I rather win the tournament than the regular season.

Well no shit, but if a team is good enough to win the regular season, they’re going to the NIT at a minimum. If you finish .500 in conference play, you have to win the conference tournament for any chance at real post season play.

Reactions: Hot For Keitha
Just saw the NIT will only be 16 teams played in Dallas this year. So autobids are probably out, but UTEP has never been a contender for the NIT this year.

I'm at the point where I want NCAA or bust. The NIT is a fine tournament but would be a letdown after winning the regular season title.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
The La Tech Lofton debate was brought up in the post game show yesterday and I agreed with the show commentators that IF UTEP does get a match up with Lofton, UTEP does have Efe to match up since he does have way better upper body strength as compared to Williams and Verhoven.

WKU is the real deal and can beat Kansas. The top 3? I doubt it.

However, this is why CUSA is a one bid jamboree: That 49ers team UTEP whooped up on this weekend beat both WKU & UAB. UTEP showed moxy against Arizona and beat ASU at home and even out rebounded them by 20 but drops one to Rice and a way worse than 49ers team USM.

My point is CUSA is that crazy person you date early in your life that burns your possessions but then takes you to a 4 star restaurant and wants to marry you. You never ever know what you will get?

UTEP men's Bball has the horses now that Efe is back and looks in good form but which UTEP team will show up against Kansas?
Didn't Charlotte beat W. Kentucky and lose the other one by like 3 points?

The La Tech Lofton debate was brought up in the post game show yesterday and I agreed with the show commentators that IF UTEP does get a match up with Lofton, UTEP does have Efe to match up since he does have way better upper body strength as compared to Williams and Verhoven.
If we do meet up with LaTech again, I’d say play him rough with Efe and Verhoeven. A few hard fouls might go a long way. 10 to give with those two guys. Lofton only shoots like 58% from the stripe.

If we do meet up with LaTech again, I’d say play him rough with Efe and Verhoeven. A few hard fouls might go a long way. 10 to give with those two guys. Lofton only shoots like 58% from the stripe.
Agree. What Efe provides defensively are 5 additional fouls to give, and avoid having Williams trying to defend Lofton and pick up fouls. Neither Williams or Verhoeven were able to handle Lofton one on one, and I consider both far better defenders than Efe.

This is great analysis but I don't wanna overlook fau. We already duck them once. No guarantees we would have split non the less sweep.
That’s for sure. If we’ve learned anything about this team, it’s that there are no guarantees. We gotta get by FAU before Lofton is even a thought.

Last edited:
Yep. CRT switched Verhoven to him in last match-up and he actually frustrated him and a couple of times Lofton threw an actual tantrum, I kind of chuckled.

But it may be FAU in first match up.

The Miners have the talent to win the Conference USA tournament if they play defense and hold on to the ball. They also have the ability to lose in the first round. They have been mediocre, pretty darn good and down right awful this year. So I don't know what they'll do come next week's Tournament.

The Miners have the talent to win the Conference USA tournament if they play defense and hold on to the ball. They also have the ability to lose in the first round. They have been mediocre, pretty darn good and down right awful this year. So I don't know what they'll do come next week's Tournament.
We can play pretty good perimeter D, but our interior D and defensive rebounding is no good against decent interior teams. That will be the death of this team (if not a poor shooting game 1st).

Again!!!!! The question to His Highness Terry, "Why don't you ever play Onyema during critical minutes?". Everything to gain nothing to lose.
Well, Onyema had a bad turnover in the last game. It was garbage time and the bench was emptied, so it's tough to say how typical that was, but maybe he doesn't quite click with the offense? And how well does he defend right now? (Of course, playing him in games would give him experience, but that should have happened earlier in the season, not now.)

Reactions: miner1liner
Another reason to play Onyema

I like the upside that Onyema has. But he isn't ready to play. That was obvious vs Charlotte. He got lost on his defensive assignment and doesn't have good movement offensively.

Make no mistake, the kid is a highlight reel waiting to happen. I just don't think he's ready for more than garbage time or to sacrifice a few hard fouls.

Reactions: Lil_Train
During the Haskins years Onyema and all other freshmen would have sat around and gotten only a few minutes at most. That's just how it was then.

Yeah. But the country has to been watching the Zags to pull it off it off since early 90's and they don't. Baylor last few years as well but they bounce early.

Buy who knows?
Yeah but did you see what happened when Gonzaga played Virginia, Auburn, W Virginia, Iowa, and Kansas this year ? They were levels above them. It’s not close. They are the best team by far

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT