ADVERTISEMENT

Chico Canales, Mike Cox OUT

If anyone on this board or anywhere says UTEP improved this year....

Here is a simple breakdown of their 'wins' in 2020.

The three teams UTEP beat allowed 701 points to FBS opponents this year.....but lets sit back and let Dimel spin that improvement bull shit all off season.....

I did like Coach Cox. Our defense played well enough to win 4 of the 8 games that we played this year(we held half our opponents to 21 points or less). But I am not going to complain as an overall shake-up was needed, I just hope that we don't lose Praise, Stewart, or Moss over this shake-up.

As for Canales, this will be good news if Dimel brings in another coach and actually lets him run the offense. But if Dimel hires another puppet like Canales and he keeps control of the offense, then nothing will be accomplished.

If Dimel can just simply hire two new quality coordinators and actually let them run things, then this could end up being exactly what we have spent over a year asking for. Dimel just needs to step away from the play calling and just focus on being a recruiter and a media Head Coach.

Last edited:
I did like Cox. Our defense played well enough to win 4 of the 8 games that we played this year(we held half our opponents to 21 points or less). But I am not going to complain as an overall shake-up was needed, I just hope that we don't lose Praise, Stewart, or Moss over this shake-up.

As for Canales, this will be good news if Dimel brings in another coach and actually lets him run the offense. But if Dimel hires another puppet like Canales and he keeps control of the offense, then nothing will be accomplished.

If Dimel can just simply hire two new quality coordinators and actually let them run things, then this could end up being exactly what we have spent over a year asking for. Dimel just needs to step away from the play calling and just focus on being a recruiter and a media Head Coach.

With the budget where it is?

So does this mean that Dimel is feeling the heat from Senter and had to make a move? Hopefully next year is his last
This is a legit question.

To me it means he gets two more years, and the heat will only be hot if his new coordinators fail, that is how I see it...good ? wanna hear others thoughts on this...

Reactions: EMA884 and picks up
I think this is the first shot fired. If things don't improve I imagine Coach Dimel will "resign"mid-season much like Kugler

I think this is the first shot fired. If things don't improve I imagine Coach Dimel will "resign"mid-season much like Kugler

Does this hurt the search for a coordinators? If this buys Dimel 1 year maybe two tops, who’s going to want to jump on this sinking ship? Plus if Senter has a pair he should tell Dimel he’s not calling plays

Does this hurt the search for a coordinators? If this buys Dimel 1 year maybe two tops, who’s going to want to jump on this sinking ship? Plus if Senter has a pair he should tell Dimel he’s not calling plays
Good points. Also, which coordinators are going to want to come to a place where they know that they can't call plays?

Working some old football sources because I am curious about the state of UTEP football all of a sudden....

Turns out the players who transferred after the Rice mishap had nothing to due with the COVID drama, but the kids who left hated Cox with a passion, not sure why or if there was specific incident, but basically Cox was no longer popular AT ALL with the players and most players wanted that move to happen.

As far as Canales, Canales knew he was going to get canned as a fall guy this week, not a surprise to him or his agent, but no specifics about Chico, he's a good guy just not allowed to his job fully at UTEP and he will get a position coach somewhere.

Basically put by my legit source....Dimel has no clue what he is doing right now and can spin things to the media (mainly TV guys) who will keep fans positive on social media and their reports and stories.

Here is an example of how stupid Dimel is, Dimel would always try to install and present game plan plays on a Thursday, like basically adding to a gameplan that was set up for practice time and reps on a Sunday by the staff, and late in the week Dimel would make drastic changes to their main script of plays they normally use and confuse the kids and piss of the other coaches, and all of these 'new plays' he was trying to install in some game weeks were basic run plays with stupid blocking schemes and zero creativity, so its it confirmed that Dimel is a football idoit who makes 710k.....

Working some old football sources because I am curious about the state of UTEP football all of a sudden....

Turns out the players who transferred after the Rice mishap had nothing to due with the COVID drama, but the kids who left hated Cox with a passion, not sure why or if there was specific incident, but basically Cox was no longer popular AT ALL with the players and most players wanted that move to happen.

As far as Canales, Canales knew he was going to get canned as a fall guy this week, not a surprise to him or his agent, but no specifics about Chico, he's a good guy just not allowed to his job fully at UTEP and he will get a position coach somewhere.

Basically put by my legit source....Dimel has no clue what he is doing right now and can spin things to the media (mainly TV guys) who will keep fans positive on social media and their reports and stories.

Here is an example of how stupid Dimel is, Dimel would always try to install and present game plan plays on a Thursday, like basically adding to a gameplan that was set up for practice time and reps on a Sunday by the staff, and late in the week Dimel would make drastic changes to their main script of plays they normally use and confuse the kids and piss of the other coaches, and all of these 'new plays' he was trying to install in some game weeks were basic run plays with stupid blocking schemes and zero creativity, so its it confirmed that Dimel is a football idoit who makes 710k.....

Interesting. Now if this is true about Dime I think next year we take a massive step backwards unless the AD steps in and puts his patent leather dress shoe up his ass. He better be ok thin ice.

All of the secondary guys didn't transfer because they hated Cox. Some of those guys had other issues that they brought on for themselves.

All of the secondary guys didn't transfer because they hated Cox. Some of those guys had other issues that they brought on for themselves.
I would not doubt that all as they are 18-21 yo kids who don't have it all figured out yet, but "other issues they brought on for themselves" sounds like coaches speak to me.

I would not doubt that all as they are 18-21 yo kids who don't have it all figured out yet, but "other issues they brought on for themselves" sounds like coaches speak to me.

It's not my business to put out on the internet. I tried to word it as vague as possible because they're just young adults who deserve privacy. Hell, it's not even right that it was told to me.

3 years of really bad offenses. Why not hand the keys over to the coordinator and let him run the offense? If I was Dimmel I’d hire a young juco or FCS Coordinator with Texas or Cali ties.

Obviously UTEP Coordinator isn’t the most desirable job, but it is a six-figure FBS job.

Does it really matter who the offensive coordinator is if Dimel continues to call the plays in his outdated and ineffective system? UTEP could hire the hottest offensive mind in the country but would he be allowed to make changes to Dimels old timer offense? I don't think so. Fire Dimel, Senter, and Terry!

It's not my business to put out on the internet. I tried to word it as vague as possible because they're just young adults who deserve privacy. Hell, it's not even right that it was told to me.
I fully agree on that, no doubt, would be wrong for us to air personal dirty laundry, and the mod would ban our asses.

Reactions: Taco1977
Its hard to build a great team in a bad program. UTEP has bad facilities, terrible support, El Paso is not a recruiting hot spot, and there is no tradition.

This is a bad football job and the team Dimel inherited was not a Division 1 roster.

When a team is losing and is bad, people will inherently say the coach is awful, an idiot, incompetent, etc... In the case of UTEP you have to ask the question if it's the Coach or if it's the underlying issue of the program.

At some point, at UTEP, we are going to need to give a Coach several seasons (5-7) and see if something can be built and we may suffer to find out.. Nord was not afforded that opportunity but I think he was closest to getting on Track.

After 2 Full Seasons and a Pandemic season, I dont think that Dimel has changed anything. However, I still want to see where this is going.

A head coaching change now gets rid of Dimel, but doesn't repair a broken program.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Its hard to build a great team in a bad program. UTEP has bad facilities, terrible support, El Paso is not a recruiting hot spot, and there is no tradition.

This is a bad football job and the team Dimel inherited was not a Division 1 roster.

When a team is losing and is bad, people will inherently say the coach is awful, an idiot, incompetent, etc... In the case of UTEP you have to ask the question if it's the Coach or if it's the underlying issue of the program.

At some point, at UTEP, we are going to need to give a Coach several seasons (5-7) and see if something can be built and we may suffer to find out.. Nord was not afforded that opportunity but I think he was closest to getting on Track.

After 2 Full Seasons and a Pandemic season, I dont think that Dimel has changed anything. However, I still want to see where this is going.

A head coaching change now gets rid of Dimel, but doesn't repair a broken program.

Fair enough but is UTEP in a position to give coach after coach a chance just to watch as we are consistently get passed over by programs coming up as well? At a certain point don’t you know what you have in terms of a coach? Giving Kugler another year would have done nothing. If Dimel is shooting himself in the foot because of his unwillingness to hand over playcalling duties, have we not seen enough? To give a coach a full 5 - 7 years would mean he either got an extension or you signed a coach to that deal, which if they are awful is complete insanity.

Bad facilities and bad support? Go take a look at Coastal Carolina's and UL-Lafayette's facilities and support. Then report back. They can win and beat P5 teams.

Dismel might not have inherited a "Division 1" roster, but the coach at UAB didn't have a whole fvcking team for 2 years. Yet, they're a winning program and have won 3 straight division titles. UTEP hasn't won a single one in 16 seasons.

Stop making excuses.

UTEP joined the WAC in 1968 and have had 7 winning records in those 53 seasons and 0 bowl wins.

Coastal Carolina won 7 FCS conference championships and have won over 60% of their games in their history.

ULL has been to 7 bowl games in 10 years winning 5 of those.

That alone gets you better recruits on top of being in areas where there are good Football Players.

According to the Press Conference, we have 80 returning players. Thats is at the very least something to build off of. What I'm saying is that is very easy to point to 1 thing and say 'thats it, if that changes everything is better.' But 53 years of evidence shows otherwise

UTEP joined the WAC in 1968 and have had 7 winning records in those 53 seasons and 0 bowl wins.

Coastal Carolina won 7 FCS conference championships and have won over 60% of their games in their history.

ULL has been to 7 bowl games in 10 years winning 5 of those.

That alone gets you better recruits on top of being in areas where there are good Football Players.

According to the Press Conference, we have 80 returning players. Thats is at the very least something to build off of. What I'm saying is that is very easy to point to 1 thing and say 'thats it, if that changes everything is better.' But 53 years of evidence shows otherwise

You didn't mention anything about better players though. You talked about facilities and support. You mentioned tradition, what tradition do Coastal and Louisiana have? 10 years isn't tradition. They're not Michigan or Florida St.

More excuses.

You didn't mention anything about better players though. You talked about facilities and support. You mentioned tradition, what tradition do Coastal and Louisiana have? 10 years isn't tradition. They're not Michigan or Florida St.

More excuses.

53 years of losing is data, not an excuse. Obviously, if you've been the worst program in college football for most of a century, then there is a problem. An excuse would be 'give the guy a chance he played 2 home games.'

I am not saying Dimel is the solution. But I am saying that the data shows that the next guy here will also be unsuccessful. So why not think differently than UTEP has in the past 53 years and do something differently.

More excuses.

Coastal Carolina and Louisiana have better facilities than UTEP by a wide margin. Not better stadiums though. Also, El Paso has very few D1 level players. Maybe 4 or 5 in a given year. That's going to make it tough to recruit.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
53 years of losing is data, not an excuse. Obviously, if you've been the worst program in college football for most of a century, then there is a problem. An excuse would be 'give the guy a chance he played 2 home games.'

I am not saying Dimel is the solution. But I am saying that the data shows that the next guy here will also be unsuccessful. So why not think differently than UTEP has in the past 53 years and do something differently.

At one time those schools were bad or not FBS. I guess they just got lucky with some players?

UTEP does need to do something different, they need to drop to FCS. They have proven they're incapable of even doing the most basic forms of winning.

Coastal Carolina and Louisiana have better facilities than UTEP by a wide margin. Not better stadiums though. Also, El Paso has very few D1 level players. Maybe 4 or 5 in a given year. That's going to make it tough to recruit.

Mike Price and Gary Nord didn't have problems recruiting outside of El Paso. How many D1 athletes are they turning out in Boise, ID and Conway, SC? Using not enough local kids is a cop out. How do Sun Belt teams have better facilities and which of these facilities do they have that are better than UTEP's?

Mike Price and Gary Nord didn't have problems recruiting outside of El Paso. How many D1 athletes are they turning out in Boise, ID and Conway, SC? Using not enough local kids is a cop out. How do Sun Belt teams have better facilities and which of these facilities do they have that are better than UTEP's?

That was my point about Gary Nord. UTEP fired him out of being impatient. He was building slowly and UTEP gave up on him. He recruited and redshirted every player. The payoff was going to start in year 5, when he was playing with grown men.

The local kid aspect is from an article I read a while back. A player has to leave home 500+ miles to come to UTEP in either direction. UTEP loses out on alot of 18 year old kids whose parents want them to be closer to home. As well as saving money on recruiting budgets if El Paso was a hot bed.

Louisiana has much better facilities.

That was my point about Gary Nord. UTEP fired him out of being impatient. He was building slowly and UTEP gave up on him. He recruited and redshirted every player. The payoff was going to start in year 5, when he was playing with grown men.

The local kid aspect is from an article I read a while back. A player has to leave home 500+ miles to come to UTEP in either direction. UTEP loses out on alot of 18 year old kids whose parents want them to be closer to home. As well as saving money on recruiting budgets if El Paso was a hot bed.

Nord deserved to get fired. That was a bad team.

Keep in mind this is not Dimel’s first shot at being a college Head Coach. His last outing at UH did not go well at all. Many Houston fans believe Dimel set their program several years back. What’s the excuse for not winning at UH? Houston is a hotbed for recruits and they have a decent football tradition. Plus they play in a major city with good fan support. I think many of us are frustrated with Dimel because he insists on running his ineffective offense and we haven’t seen much improvement since he got here. The lack of discipline on the players is totally on the coaches. We have seen El Pasoans will support the Miners if they Win. Winning will generate excitement in the community, which will lead to more money for UTEP athletics, and will lead to improving our facilities. I haven’t seen much from Dimel to convince me he’s the right guy at UTEP.

Nord went 2-9, 2-10, and 2-11 his last 3 years. I don't care if he recruited Tom Brady and Megatron, you shouldn't be able to keep your job with those results. This is the Tim Floyd and Mike Price excuse, 1 more year! We gave those guys too much time and look where we are.

Lots of coaches turn it around in less time, but with fans like you, who don't need results, Utep should give out 10 year deals, Right?

UTEP needs to improve their facilities then, but when they continue to lose, fans like you will blame something else.

Someone answer this. Why is it that the 3 FBS schools in the region (UNM, NMSU, & UTEP) have such horrible football history? When was the last time any of those schools won an outright conference title?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
UTEPs problem has been is that we hire people no one else would. Sometimes not even out of necessity. We made one great hire in Mack Rhodes and we saw what happened.

Yeah stuff sucks, but how are you going to expect anyone to give anything for new facilities with such an awful program?

Who else but UTEP would hire a position coach with no recruiting experience? Who else but UTEP would hire a guy who went winless in his last stop and is considered that team’s worst coach ever?

We saw with Price what’s reasonable here.....4-8 wins. UNM saw it with Long too.

Of course, UTEP is like the 150th most desired job in college football as it’s better to be a coordinator in some places, but there’s thousands of college coaches that would love to be here.

Just hire someone competent and that’s the tricky part because you never know.

But anyone who knows anything knew that Dimmel and Kugler were really stupid hires....

Again take a guy coaching at a juco and who’s successful and making what....200k? and offer him this job at 700k and he’ll jump at it.....If he fails, no biggie, back to juco with a longer resume and more money. If he succeeds...multi-million dollar contract at another school.

Someone answer this. Why is it that the 3 FBS schools in the region (UNM, NMSU, & UTEP) have such horrible football history? When was the last time any of those schools won an outright conference title?

Because they had successful basketball programs and focused on that. They didn't know football would take off like it has and they put all their eggs in the hoops basket.

You're trying to separate the two points. Both points work in conjunction with each other. Boise Idaho doesn't have the players, but their facilities are on a completely different level. South Carolina has both the players and the facilities. UTEP has none of that. Facts are neither a cop out or not a cop out, they are just simply the facts. UTEP either needs to decide to spend money on the program and improve the facilities or drop to a lower level that is commiserate with the facilities that they have. Something has to give.

I want to be clear, I am not defending this coach one bit. I'm pointing out that no one is going to be successful until the program decides to spend money. They can fire him tomorrow and hire whoever, it'll just be rinse and repeat.

Nord deserved to get fired. That was a bad team.

That loss to Cal Poly was bad beyond UTEP standards. I remember teams were putting up video game numbers vs The Miners that year. I know we will never know for sure what would have happened but for that 2-3 years Price managed to change the culture at UTEP. I knew a guy on that 2003 team and he said at halftime of that Cal Poly game all everyone did was scream at each other and I wonder if that was the norm since everything was going south for a while.

Under Price the players looked confident, the crowds were there and losing their mind, it was unreal. Plus he had a high powered offense that could shoot it out with anyone. Price also brought in a good staff and some good transfers too.

It is hard to win here. Our Administrators and Coaches compound the problem with incompetence. I think Price is the best a football coach can do here. 4-8 wins.

It is hard to win here. Our Administrators and Coaches compound the problem with incompetence. I think Price is the best a football coach can do here. 4-8 wins.

There’s enough blame to go around. The administration, the coaches, the players. But you can also say that the fans and city as well. Our crowds are dwindling by the year and that does nothing to make the situation more appealing.

There’s enough blame to go around. The administration, the coaches, the players. But you can also say that the fans and city as well. Our crowds are dwindling by the year and that does nothing to make the situation more appealing.

Fans and city are not to blame. UTEP averages more than Coastal and UAB. If Ohio St has UTEPish records over the next 55 years, do you think they're getting 90,000 to games in 2075?

ElPaso has supported a loser for 50 years. Enough is enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT