ADVERTISEMENT

Christian Cunningham

kickballpro

MI Miner Maniac
Mar 24, 2006
The Albuquerque Senior received his first basketball scholarship offer from UTEP today. The 6'7 small forward plays for Cibola HS and is the son of Paul Cunningham.

I'd think his Dad's connection to CTF would surely help. I remember his older brother (don't remember his name) was a highly regarded recruit but Floyd wasn't back yet. He ended up with a career ending injury IIRC.

His older son was Kasey Cunningham, who was recruited by Tony Barbee and UTEP, albeit not nearly as hard as UNM and USC (where Kasey ultimately signed with Tim Floyd). Sadly, Kasey blew out his knee as a sophomore and was never the same. When I lived in Albuquerque, I had a connection to Paul Cunningham through a friend (UTEP graduate) whose son played basketball with Kasey at Cibola High School. What I was told, was that Paul had an estranged relationship with UTEP, apparently due to how Bob Stull treated Don Haskins shortly after Stull was hired on as UTEP's AD. Now, of course, there's probably a whole lot more to the story than that, but it was a reason why Kasey Cunningham did not play for his dad's alma mater. I got the feeling they weren't too keen on Barbee either.

Still, now that Floyd is the head coach at UTEP, there may be a good chance the younger Cunningham will be a Miner.

How good is he? He's in his late senior year with only 1 offer, a legacy. It might just be a walkon or something.

Christian was kicked off the Cibola squad yesterday for violations of team/school rules. I wonder if the offer will still stand.

GO MINERS!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT