ADVERTISEMENT

City wins Duranguito case!!

I'm sure they will find buried bottle bottle of mescal with Pancho Villa's DNA or something like that make the area "historical" once again. You never know what a deranged Houston millionaire and misdirected art professor can cook up.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
It's hard to believe it's already been 8 years since this passed. I think the Miners should play their home games downtown.

Reactions: minerfan_14
The Haskins Center will be 10+ years older since this appeared on the ballot. If UTEP wants to keep up with the rest of the world in terms of facilities, a brand new arena would help.

Well yeah, but you’re not going to pay for something when you can get it for free. The Haskins Center isn’t some new, updated palace, but it’s not FAU’s arena by any means.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
City will start with archaelogical survey as per state law. Anticipation of Grossman legal filing is anticipated since he has a financier with deep pockets according to mayor but city will move forward after survey is complete.

Reactions: picks up
Well yeah, but you’re not going to pay for something when you can get it for free. The Haskins Center isn’t some new, updated palace, but it’s not FAU’s arena by any means.

That's what's going to happen. But let's face it. UTEP is in desperate need of something shiny and new.

I wonder if this bastard gets harassed when he’s out and about? He walked into king’s X one night and I really wanted to give him a piece of my mind but the wife pleaded with me to bite my tongue so I let go. What a tool!

City will start with archaelogical survey as per state law. Anticipation of Grossman legal filing is anticipated since he has a financier with deep pockets according to mayor but city will move forward after survey is complete.

I guarantee you this thing is nowhere close to being built. This survey will take forever, and then the city and Grossman will probably go to court countless times to challenge the results. And if the arena were to get the go ahead I’m sure the city has to work on designs and figure out how much more it will cost. So that will take time. And if Grossman wins they’ll be left with a bunch of shit filled, dilapidated buildings that will probably not be inhabitable anymore. So nobody wins.

I guarantee you this thing is nowhere close to being built. This survey will take forever, and then the city and Grossman will probably go to court countless times to challenge the results. And if the arena were to get the go ahead I’m sure the city has to work on designs and figure out how much more it will cost. So that will take time. And if Grossman wins they’ll be left with a bunch of shit filled, dilapidated buildings that will probably not be inhabitable anymore. So nobody wins.
Grossman won't win ultimately, but he most likely will keep delaying it further. He simply wants to make trouble for the city. I don't know why this dude JP is financing such a stupid crusade unless they have plans for the area that will make them money.

Grossman won't win ultimately, but he most likely will keep delaying it further. He simply wants to make trouble for the city. I don't know why this dude JP is financing such a stupid crusade unless they have plans for the area that will make them money.
Or perhaps, there is an "underlying" issue... I do mean UNDER. :)

Looks like the fight goes on according to State Senator José Rodriguez
https://www.ktsm.com/news/preservat...urce=twitter_KTSMtv&__twitter_impression=true

And why the f*ck wouldn’t it!? Jesus Christ..... this is some nauseating bullsh*t. On one hand I think we should let Grossman and his benefactor have that sh*thole neighborhood because those two are made for each other. But on the other hand I want the city to keep fighting so they can bulldoze that dump because “f*ck him”.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Right on. Let Grossman have Durangito. Put the pressure on him to deliver with all the promises and plans he has for a neighborhood that nobody cares about.

Exactly. I’d like to see tourists from other states come and visit the “historical” whorehouse and laundromat. Chinese people will be flooding Downtown to see it!!!

Right on. Let Grossman have Durangito. Put the pressure on him to deliver with all the promises and plans he has for a neighborhood that nobody cares about.
But that's the rub he isn't really proposing anything other than the status quo, and he and his benefactor certainly aren't sinking money into Durangito.

But that's the rub he isn't really proposing anything other than the status quo, and he and his benefactor certainly aren't sinking money into Durangito.
Didn't he want to make it into some park??? I remember seeing some pics showing how it was going to look. It is even better if he isn't proposing anything for the neighborhood he fought so hard to preserve costing tax payer dollars. It will be funny watching his reactions when he is asked why Durangito still looks like a dump years after he fought the city and won. And why all these precious artifacts are still buried under abandoned buildings.

Let’s give it to him, and start making him bring all the buildings to code,and tax the hell out of him .
Crap like this is why I would never vote for Rodriguez.

Reactions: picks up
I didnt read anything in the article other than talk. So far there have been no further injunctions.

They are waiting for the results of the archaeological survey from what I read in another article. God knows how long that will take. That will just buy more time for Grossman to say Duranguito was the birthplace of the first Chinese owned candy store in El Paso, and therefore it needs to be preserved.

http://car.utsa.edu/CARSponsoredProjects/SponsoredProjectsResources/FAQ.pdf

Duranguito is not on this list (See page 14 & 15). If I remember correctly this started with Grossman wanting to get it on this list...I think... but for whatever reason it didn't happen. He got into a fight with his then peers on the commission, hard feelings were dealt out and it spilled out all over the public domain on radio, social forums, print media you name it.

https://www.thc.texas.gov/public/upload/preserve/survey/survey/2019 09 25_survey catalog.pdf

The mayor stated a survey must be done, why?

http://car.utsa.edu/CARSponsoredProjects/SponsoredProjectsResources/FAQ.pdf

Duranguito is not on this list (See page 14 & 15). If I remember correctly this started with Grossman wanting to get it on this list...I think... but for whatever reason it didn't happen. He got into a fight with his then peers on the commission, hard feelings were dealt out and it spilled out all over the public domain on radio, social forums, print media you name it.

https://www.thc.texas.gov/public/upload/preserve/survey/survey/2019 09 25_survey catalog.pdf

The mayor stated a survey must be done, why?
Standard protocol I believe. Question is do they do it before or after above ground demolition?

Reactions: kickballpro
Standard protocol I believe. Question is do they do it before or after above ground demolition?
It's not on any official historical list, is it not?

Because if that's the case then General Omar Bradley took a crap at a barber shop I go to in central EP and I want it declared historical and never torn down! (I'm kidding. The place is in need of some serious revitalization, along with the rest of lower Dyer region).

Reactions: kickballpro
Maybe now there could be a lockdown they could knock down the buildings?? Max or whatever his name is will have to be in lockdown.

Reactions: Cube Jack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT