ADVERTISEMENT

CJG Recruiting Grades

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
These are my thoughts on CJG's recruiting grades at UTEP so far (knowing he had a short cycle after he was hired) and also some immediate needs and targets for 22-23'.

21-22:
Keeping Boum, Kennedy, JB, Saucy, Z and getting TV to come back: A

Allowing BW to linger for months: F

Sibley: A
Potential future star for the Miners. He displayed a variety of skills including athleticism, running the floor, finishing around the rim, 3 point shooting and shot blocking. Led the team in blocked shots and was second in defensive rebounding. Per 40 minutes averaged 10/8 with 2 blocks and shot 35% from 3. Needs to shoot better than 68% from the line and maybe add 10-15lbs.

Saterfield: C
We saw that he could be very hot from 3 (led the team at 43% on 113 attempts and shot 100% from the line) , but was also very one dimensional and seemingly lost his confidence/mojo the 2nd half of the year. Props for destroying UTSA, but needs to add to his offensive skill set and pick up the D. Next year will tell us a lot.

Hollins: C+
He was a a very decent pick up for a transitioning coach in a mid-major. He played good minutes and did a lot of small things well, but nothing really stuck out. He provided some depth and experience.

Kalu: D-
Good size and strength. Powerful finisher, but failed to use any explosion come game time. Per 40 minutes he is our best rebounder, so there is potential there if he can tap in. Sits behind Z on the depth chart, but potential good contributer as an upperclassmen

Maring: F
Great size and looked the part, but his game never transitioned to this level. Has 2 years left so transfers out.

Giffa: F?
He played the least minutes of any scholarship player, despite no true PG behind JB. Displayed poor shooting when he had the chance

22-23:
Evans: ?
Highly touted. Good gurad size and apparently can shoot. We didn't get to really see anything at SDSU. Will be a freshman and has been practicing with the team. Should compete with Saterfield behind Kennedy.

Dos Anjos: ?
Upperclassmen with good size. Comes in as a Sophmore maybe given the COVID year? Started the most games at his JC. Played forward, but shot 40% from three and 75% from the line. Averaged 12/5.5 with a decent amount of blocks. Decent mid range I believe per Lil Train. I suppose he could play 3 or 4 with UTEP. Replaces Hollins.

Hamilton: ?
BIG body to help control some of the bigs in our conference? Seems like a project and will be same class as Z and Kalu. I can't imagine he makes an immediate impact at this level right away, but who knows. Average 11/5.5 and 1 block shooting 70% from the floor, but only 55% from the line.

Needs: PG and center

Our biggest targets are obviously the Newton brothers, however Tristan may be out of our league unless we get some help. I can't imagine White and Giffa staying if we land those 2. Sessoms from Penn State could probably offset the loss of JB as long as we keep Boum and Kennedy. Not sure if any of the others we are recruiting are point guards.

Center is a big need if we are going to win now, especially since we are left with 3 young guys. Z has grown a lot, but I'm not sure that he is ready to be 'the guy' yet. There are a lot of bigs out there that could step in now and help us win. Micheal Durr Indiana would probably be a great fit for us. Manny Bates NC State. Xavier Foster ISU is young, but has tons of size and potential. KJ Williams is a beast and probably looking to transfer up, but still a guy that Golding should offer. Fardaws Aimaq Utah Valley too. Stevenson and Pleasant are smaller, but warriors at this level.

Good job fools.

I didn't mind the Bryson Williams situation. Obviously it didn't lead to him staying. But Bryson is a good guy and gave alot to UTEP and I liked that JG took care of him. You never know, that connection may pay off down the road.
Let's hope. I kind of agree, but in the moment I think it hurt us. It is commendable though.

Reactions: denverutep
This will be a little more valid by the end of late recruiting once this year's recruiting is done, but like what ya did here.

Reactions: axingfools1
I’ll never forget one Floyd recruit who said he didn’t belong in a college classroom (but had to go the college route to the pros). Nope, he never made it to UTEP as a couple didn’t as well. Terry’s players fought at a holiday tournament.

Golding made auguas frescas. He gets an A. They all get an A because they came together and got better every week.

I’ll never forget one Floyd recruit who said he didn’t belong in a college classroom (but had to go the college route to the pros). Nope, he never made it to UTEP as a couple didn’t as well.

Who was that player?

It takes more than 2 recruiting cycles to build a consistent winner. Especially these days. Recruiting studs didn't work with floyd nor Terry. Let's give CJG a couple more years. He can coach.

It takes more than 2 recruiting cycles to build a consistent winner. Especially these days. Recruiting studs didn't work with floyd nor Terry. Let's give CJG a couple more years. He can coach.
Thing is, other coaches have been able to turn things around in just one year at a similar/same level. For example, MTSU. It is obviously not easy but it can be done. Like Corona mentioned, we were probably one impact big man from truly competing for a conference championship this past year. Last summer, while Golding was able to bring in some solid guys for on campus visits, he wasn't able to get them to sign. We know playing time wouldn't have been an issue, so that is not the reason they didn't sign. Now, this year, we have multiple holes in the roster. So Golding and company have a lot of work in front of them, and that is if Boum and Kennedy come back.

Thing is, other coaches have been able to turn things around in just one year at a similar/same level. For example, MTSU. It is obviously not easy but it can be done. Like Corona mentioned, we were probably one impact big man from truly competing for a conference championship this past year. Last summer, while Golding was able to bring in some solid guys for on campus visits, he wasn't able to get them to sign. We know playing time wouldn't have been an issue, so that is not the reason they didn't sign. Now, this year, we have multiple holes in the roster. So Golding and company have a lot of work in front of them, and that is if Boum and Kennedy come back.
Yes, I have been saying this for years. Takes one off-season. It even happened here, when players had to sit out a year when they transferred. BG did it the old school way. But Golding needs 4 or 5 years to get a team. Even though he ran off his very first recruit already.

Is Khalfani Hill still coming?

Not anymore. This team was set up to win this year and is again next year (so far), but Golding needs to prove his metal and land some transfers that can take us to a championship now.

Golding said he wanted to win now when hired and has openly admitted numerous times that he has accepted the transfer pandemic and the portal. Let's get some!!

Last edited:
Not anymore. This team was set up to win this year and is again next year (so far), but Golding needs to prove his metal and land some transfers that can take us to a championship now.

Golding said he wanted to win now when hired and has openly admitted numerous times that he has accepted the transfer pandemic and the portal. Let's get some!!
I'm all for it but players like Sibley and Evans still need to develop.

Yes, I have been saying this for years. Takes one off-season. It even happened here, when players had to sit out a year when they transferred. BG did it the old school way. But Golding needs 4 or 5 years to get a team. Even though he ran off his very first recruit already.
I'm happy with the way Barbee did it, with steady improvement year over year.

Reactions: denverutep
I'm happy with the way Barbee did it, with steady improvement geese ar over year.
In those days recruiting was different. The freshman core stayed for at least three years. Nowadays the only way to see that kind of steady improvement is if the player's stay to be developed or if the coach gets hit after hit in the transfer market.

In those days recruiting was different. The freshman core stayed for at least three years. Nowadays the only way to see that kind of steady improvement is if the player's stay to be developed or if the coach gets hit after hit in the transfer market.
Texas Tech went as far as they did this year with mainly transfer contributors including Williams. It's just what it is and hopefully Golding finds the right pieces to stay competitive!

I would have to give Golding a

D-.

Very close to an F but I think D- is fair. UTEP is not getting highly recruited players. I'm still hoping that some high major player still transfers.

D-.

Very close to an F but I think D- is fair. UTEP is not getting highly recruited players. I'm still hoping that some high major player still transfers.

I am not a fan of grading before we see the product. If you look back on NFL drafts, some are A's and but then they have like 5 busts.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

D-.

Fili, I mean this respectfully but come March next year you are going to look like a self appointed ombudsman or a fool.

Golding's resume speaks for itself; it's going to take time. Will UTEP fans give him that luxury?

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL

D-.

Know that your grading is being graded too. So far, you also have earned a D- due to incomplete work.

Tell me who you think has a better recruiting class this year. NMSU or Utep??
On paper? Easy. NMSU. But I’d give them a B+.

Let’s see how it works itself out on the court. Then maybe your grade will rise…or drop.

Last edited:
So you can give a first year head coach a grade but not Golding??
As I said, on paper, which means nada. And after looking back at the NMSU signees, I had to take the A away and go solid B to B+.

Hey man, it’s fair game. Feel free to grade my grade.

As I said, on paper, which means nada. And after looking back at the NMSU signees, I had to take the A away and go solid B to B+.

Hey man, it’s fair game. Feel free to grade my grade.
And what grade do you give Golding?

If Goldings second year is equal to his first, I'll be happy. If he can get past year two without a complete overhaul of his roster, then year three will determine if he is going in the right direction. Give him a grade then. By the third season should tell us if we've got a winner.

On paper, a B-.

But if the pieces fit, that grade could go up. I doubt it drops anywhere near to what you have it as.
Wow. So NMSU class is a B+? I respectably say you're way off. I think NMSUs class is 10 times better than Uteps. NMSU has the size and beat top programs to get their players. They also lost alot of players. NMSU class is definitely 2 letters above Uteps.

If Goldings second year is equal to his first, I'll be happy. If he can get past year two without a complete overhaul of his roster, then year three will determine if he is going in the right direction. Give him a grade then. By the third season should tell us if we've got a winner.

Anytime I hear we cant grade recruiting class now, that we have to wait until we see them. That tells me it's not a good recruiting class. Only players I feel good about is Hoodrio and Solomon. Other players idk about. Why didn't Chris Jan's bring Hoodrio to Mississippi State with him??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT