ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Brooks Thompson of UTSA offering money back guarantee

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
"If you come to our game on Saturday and don't have a good time, we'll refund the cost of your ticket," Thompson said in a UTSA release. "Bring your family and friends and come to the Convocation Center on Saturday afternoon. What do you have to lose?"

UTSA upsets ODU

It's actually a ballsy and perhaps may prove to be a brilliant move for UTSA. It's not something UTEP could, or would do, but for Roadrunner basketball to become more relevant, some kind of excitement needs to be generated. Up to 50k San Antonio fans gather for a FB game. Basketball has never garnered much attention. To change that, unconventional methods of promotion, along with improved basketball (they just beat ODU), things could slowly change for the better for them. I don't know if you've been to their gym, but it is equal to a decent high school gym, and nothing more. They need to get the hell out of there to make any real headway in terms of recruiting.

When you're averaging 900 people per game I guess you got to do what you got to do. When I mentioned UTEP I meant that I hope we never have that sort of attendance. Yeah I've seen their gym and its is atrocious. Its hard to believe they can't even get half the stands full over there.

In this day and time it doesn't make financial or practical sense for schools in the g5 to invest heavily in basketball facilities. All of the g5 schools want to better their posistions and basketball is a non factor in moving up. Schools with little resources have to invest heavily in football because that is all conferences care about. Nobody really cares about basketball attendance or facilities. It makes no financial sense for g5 schools to invest in basketball. Its just a new sad reality get used to playing in small sparsely filled gyms. Just look at UCONN four national championships in the last twenty years, great academics, and a top ten tv market and they cant get an invite to a power five conference because their football program and facilities suck.

Part of what you're saying is on par minerlifer. But there are many programs spending money on upgrading basketball facilities. Just in the MWC conference alone UNM and Wyoming come to mind. I know Richmond and Butler have done or are in the planning stages of major renovations. Even Louisiana Lafayette has made some fairly extensive upgrades. The list goes on and on. All of those programs I listed, aside from Butler who doesn't even have a FB team (?), are G5 schools. UTSA has the $$$ to make some decent upgrades to their basketball facilities but I'm sure they want to see some excitement and interest generated around the Roadrunners before they fork the cash out. This gimmick that Thompson pulled is an attempt to get the ball rolling. We love basketball over here in SA as most of the NBA world is aware. Put a good product out there and the buzz will grow and a bigger facility will be required. Gotta start somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT