ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Golding

Seems like a good young coach, defense plays hard, won in a tough situation, motivates well and seems to know his Xs and Os. My concerns still stand though...can he recruit at a higher level and can his offense score in crunchtime?

We are not looking for a 4-5 year rebuild either.

Can't wait to hear him speak (if everything works out) and can't wait to see how the roster pans out over the next few months.

Seems like a good young coach, defense plays hard, won in a tough situation, motivates well and seems to know his Xs and Os. My concerns still stand though...can he recruit at a higher level and can his offense score in crunchtime?

Can't wait to hear him speak (if everything works out) and can't wait to see how the roster pans out over the next few months.
ACU has two starters from last year's team in the portal. Hopefully, they give UTEP a look. No way do we want a 4-5 year rebuild. Same rules apply to Golding as was expected from previous coaches.

Next year I don't expect much. I expect a team that plays with effort and discipline. Year two I expect steady improvement 15-20 wins over .500 in conference. In year three I expect us to contend for a tourney spot.

Next year I don't expect much. I expect a team that plays with effort and discipline. Year two I expect steady improvement 15-20 wins over .500 in conference. In year three I expect us to contend for a tourney spot.
I also expect a win in the CUSA Tourney by year two.

It’s being reported there’s a $250,000 buyout, and ACU is trying to match UTEP’s offer. So if the deal doesn’t go through, what’s Plan B? Maybe Sadler isn’t out of the running yet. Not that I want him back of course.

Reactions: CCTexas13
It’s being reported there’s a $250,000 buyout, and ACU is trying to match UTEP’s offer. So if the deal doesn’t go through, what’s Plan B? Maybe Sadler isn’t out of the running yet. Not that I want him back of course.
Fingers crossed all goes through... i do agree no one wants a 5 year rebuild. Hopefully he can put together a good staff w some solid recruiters.. could Sadler possibly join the staff....

Reactions: FarWestTexas
With so many names in the portal is it really unrealistic to think he can grab one or two missing pieces and have us top 4 in conference in year 1?

Agreed.. we don't want a 5 year rebuild and i doubt our fan base has the patience for that either.. hopefully he can put together a great staff that can recruit hard. I think most old school Miner fans will be happy w how his teams play D...

With so many names in the portal is it really unrealistic to think he can grab one or two missing pieces and have us top 4 in conference in year 1?
Even if everybody stays, I doubt that the 2 new guys come in. Our front line is pretty bare. It would be pretty much be Onyema and Sjolund.

Reactions: CCTexas13
UTEP would not have leaked the info. Schools always have a counter offer, or not if they want them gone. Stull pulled one together for Barbee hoping to play to his more charitable side to stay and continue but it wasn't near Auburn's deal. Second, you don't tell your top candidates (media reports state that Sadler was told someone has been chosen) that someone has been decided on, you just say the process is still ongoing or whatever.

Not at all sold on Hardaway as an assistant coach.
Hardaway has/had skills that are not taught at the high school or AAU and had a switchblade approach when playing (I mean that in a good sense) that he picked up in Chicago and picked up from his pops (he said his dad was a playground legend I remember). Boum could use a Hardaway because while he had a killer offensive mind, his defense left a lot to be desired. Hardaway played good D and was actually intimidating.

Could be a good recruiter and allow him time to build his merit, but yeah who knows. He wants to be here though.
I don't think it would be good for Golding. He's trying to build a program from scratch. Hardaway is an unproven coach. He's a tie to the past when you're trying build a future. He's needs his guys not a guy with no coaching credentials. He would overshadow the rest of the staff because of name id.

Joe%20Golding.jpg
d1b67b114ae41f4d6a73312f31fe4b42.jpg

I can’t wait till Coach’s band, Jimmy Eats World, plays The Middle and Sweetness!

So to start, kudos to Dr. Wilson and Mr. Senter for not screwing this up. I can definitely get behind Joe Golding. It helps to renew my faith that the UTEP basketball program can be turned around.

But it does raise an interesting question. Had Abilene Christian not beaten Texas in the NCAA Tournament, would Shaka Smart still had taken the Marquette job? This is what caused all the dominoes to fall. At this point, most would probably say, “Who cares?”

By the way, just watching KTSM news tonight. According to Terry’s UTEP contract, his $500,000 buyout only applies if he took a head coaching job. Unfortunately UTEP will not be getting anything from Texas. And UTEP will have to pay Abilene Christian $250,000 for Golding’s buyout.

Hope this all works out in the end.

By the way, just watching KTSM news tonight. According to Terry’s UTEP contract, his $500,000 buyout only applies if he took a head coaching job. Unfortunately UTEP will not be getting anything from Texas. And UTEP will have to pay Abilene Christian $250,000 for Golding’s buyout.
Wondering if Colin was looking at ExCRTs original contract or new one?

If this is true, UTEP can’t write up a contract to save their lives! What lawyer reviews this stuff? Hell use Legal Zoom!!!

What a damn shame! I hope the question is brought up at the presser!

So to start, kudos to Dr. Wilson and Mr. Senter for not screwing this up. I can definitely get behind Joe Golding. It helps to renew my faith that the UTEP basketball program can be turned around.

But it does raise an interesting question. Had Abilene Christian not beaten Texas in the NCAA Tournament, would Shaka Smart still had taken the Marquette job? This is what caused all the dominoes to fall. At this point, most would probably say, “Who cares?”

Hope this all works out in the end.
The fact that UTEP did not receive a buyout and in turn paid a buyout to get their coach makes me respect the job Senter and Wilson did even more. They actually spent money to get the man they wanted as opposed to selecting a coach based solely on finances.

I can understand being disappointed that UTEP didn’t put any language in the contact allowing them to receive a buyout if Terry received an Assistant HC position but everything worked out in the end. It’s possible UT or any school looking to poach a HC for an Assistant position would balk at a 500k buyout. Terry got his parachute to UT Austin and we got the coach we wanted so everyone’s happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Can we start assistant coach rumors/wants here?

Brian Burton was on his ACU staff last decade and Golding follows him on Twitter still, could Burton come back as a recruiter? That wouldn't be a bad pick up, but def need a solid X's and O's guy on the bench and why not Doc?

Also, I wouldn't mind Hardaway, good points you all make on both sides, but for me, he wants to be here, lets surround the program with people who want to be here and bring some sort of hoop experience, energy, passion and TLC.

Just as a note, Golding also follows Ken DeWeese who is a good Texas recruiter, not saying either Burton or DeWeese are tied to UTEP but interesting to see which way Golding goes with his staff, he's gonna be busy the next couple of days. Golding has tons of Texas ties, I'd expect his assistants will too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT