ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Golding

He doesn't seem like the type of person who would take a job with a huge pay raise? Why do you say that?
He just got a huge pay raise. He seems to me like somebody who would commit to a job until he earns another opportunity. Money is relative so I dont assume that's why ANYBODY would jump jobs. Again, just my opinion though

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Maybe I'm wrong. He doesn't seem the type to bail after one season. Do you think he applied for the SMU job?
I really doubt he sought it out. It’s entirely possible they will or have reached out to him. Money rules all, so I wouldn’t be shocked if he took it. I would be surprised if he did take it though. Just because I think SMU will get someone else.

He just got a huge pay raise. He seems to me like somebody who would commit to a job until he earns another opportunity. Money is relative so I dont assume that's why ANYBODY would jump jobs. Again, just my opinion though

And he would even get a huger pay raise at SMU. Of course he would take the SMU job if it was offered.

I can understand if he has millions in the bank, but he doesn't.

Money doesn't rule all for everybody, but I agree with the rest.
Generally speaking. He’s not from El Paso and if a team is going to double his pay and plays in a better conference, money can certainly seal the deal.

If Golding stalls out at UTEP. He won’t ever get a job as good as SMU again. He will be relegated to Southland and WAC schools if he wants to be a head coach.

Generally speaking. He’s not from El Paso and if a team is going to double his pay and plays in a better conference, money can certainly seal the deal.

If Golding stalls out at UTEP. He won’t ever get a job as good as SMU again. He will be relegated to Southland and WAC schools if he wants to be a head coach.
I agree with that. There are certainly a lot of factors to contemplate IF he were offered the job.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Remember guys, SMU is a “Top 20 job” and “capable of winning the national title”, but they’re going to hire a guy with 1 NCAA Tournament win, who just lost in the 2nd round of the basketball classic. I think they could get someone “better”.

Reactions: denverutep
Remember guys, SMU is a “Top 20 job” and “capable of winning the national title”, but they’re going to hire a guy with 1 NCAA Tournament win, who just lost in the 2nd round of the basketball classic. I think they could get someone “better”.
SMU attendance is no better than UTEP's currently, even though their schedule is better. Hosting Houston and Cincinnatti soon to be replaced with UNT and UTSA. But they have been paying $2M for the head coach. Can UTEP match that?

I don't know. I've been searching to see if he was ever linked to other jobs after his first NCAA appearance but can't find anything. It appears to me that he took the first job offered to him out of ACU.

Nearly triple the pay....

Reactions: denverutep
Just because he is on the search list does not mean he’s at the top of it. I love coach golding, but they can probably do better this year!
McCasland is at the top of the list. What other names have been mentioned?

If you look at the history of successful UTEP basketball coaches after Haskins, they all went to P5 schools. I think Golding will coach at UTEP for a couple of more years and if he’s successful he knows he will get an opportunity to coach at a P5 school for a big paycheck.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
If you look at the history of successful UTEP basketball coaches after Haskins, they all went to P5 schools. I think Golding will coach at UTEP for a couple of more years and if he’s successful he knows he will get an opportunity to coach at a P5 school for a big paycheck.
Hope your right that he waits a while. I see him being successful at UTEP based on his first year, his ability to form relationships with his players and in game coaching. I have no doubt he will be off to bigger things eventually but it seems a bit quick at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT