ADVERTISEMENT

coach johnson

kehg4

Rookie
Sep 8, 2004
I thought the players would respond/listen/be coached by Johnson.

we heard all the talk about all the head coaches on the bench.

this game reminds me that the players will only respect the head coach.

was it the coaching? I don't know.

this game brings back a memory of the waning years of Haskins. In one of the last years before Haskins retired we had our regular 2 game road trip to Hawaii and San Diego state. We were still playing Haskins defensive games scoring in the 60's and low 70's.

Haskins, as all we old school fans know, hated to travel and hated the Hawaii and SDSU trip the most.

he sent G Ray and Brewster to coach that trip ( cold or flu excuse ).

the team lost both games 110 to 105 and 109 to 103 or something like that.

the assistants had no control or respect of the team.

just say'in.

You know I hate thinking this, but this team has me wondering if they are all in for Floyd - just don't get the feeling/vibe they are all 100% in, supportive of, and behind their coach....

I know what your point was and not questioning it - just saying that I just don't have a feeling they are all in or fully believe in Floyd - I'm one of the big supporters of him, but just don't see a team giving it all for their coach...

Originally posted by Pony10:
I know what your point was and not questioning it - just saying that I just don't have a feeling they are all in or fully believe in Floyd - I'm one of the big supporters of him, but just don't see a team giving it all for their coach...
I hear you on that and do not want to even venture into that possibility.

Originally posted by MinersWon:
You can certainly say what ever you want about coaching but we have seniors who don't want the ball in a clutch situation.
I totally agree
I brought up the coaches , but the players on this team are lacking in leadership,

Just some clarification: You are correct in that Coach Haskins couldn't stand going on the Hawaii-SDSU trip. But none of those games ever approached scoring in the 100's. Coach Haskins missed some games during the 1995-1996 season, but that particular team played their best ball at the end of the year while Johnson and Brewster were in charge. That was the year of the Kevin Beal inelgibility issue, winning their quarterfinal game in the WAC tournament, but being disqualified. But them playing very well at the end of the year had a lot more to do with inserting a pure point gaurd in the starting lineup (Carl Davis became inelgible) while Mark Ingles and Kimani Jones-Young were playing very well at the 2 and the 3 as opposed to anything that Johnson or Brewster did. Coach Brewster always had the respect of the players...Coach Johnson not as much. Brewster was forced out right around that time.

Originally posted by artist3:
Just some clarification: You are correct in that Coach Haskins couldn't stand going on the Hawaii-SDSU trip. But none of those games ever approached scoring in the 100's.
In 93-94, we lost 104-103 at Hawaii then 100-85 at SDSU. I don't know if that was before or after Haskins stopped taking that trip, but that's what he's referring to.

I stand corrected and apologize for my mistake. I looked from 1994 on since that was my first year. I apologize to the original poster.

I have said since day one we don't have enough offensive firepower

Hunter can only go 3ft from the basket
Lang same
Cooper streaky shooter that can awful
Harris has not been a very good shooter so far
Morris by far our best and most consistent shooter
Julian is an average shooter below average 3pt shooter
Wilms was average however I think he will really improve

I think with flaggert, Paul Thomas who I am really high on and touchet who supposed to be a great shooter we will drastically improve our team next year... Even that Christian Romine is supposed to be able to shoot some....I think next year will be the old addition by subtraction....I am really gonna miss Lang though...you guys can sticky this post but I think next year we will win a championship and start a cycle....now if vince hunter for some crazy reason should leave I migt alter that a bit... But if he stays. You guys can yell at me if I am wrong!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT