ADVERTISEMENT

Coach of the year

picks up

MI VIP
Aug 24, 2012
I know its still a little bit early but if you had a vote for C-USA coach of the year who would it be and why? If your pick is Coach Floyd who would be your second choice?

I would go with Jarod Haase from UAB. Nobody predicted his young team to be this good this year. I think UAB really grew from the beginning of the season to now

Perhaps, Mike Rhoades of Rice. He's in his first year as a head coach and took over a dumpster fire of a program that Ben Braun left behind. He has the Owls at .500 in conference play and improving with every game. They'll be a scary draw in the tourney for any of the top teams.

Aren't coach and player of the year picked right before the conference tournament? Anyway, I have few superstitions, but one of them is the "of the year" jinx. For that reason, no matter how well deserved, I hope no Miner gets any "of the year" award!

Right now i would it give it to Coach White at La Tech. He has made La Tech a consistent winner. I think its much harder to be the hunted rather than the hunter. After last year La Tech definitely had a target on their back yet they have kept winning which is impressive. Last year he turned down the Tennessee job he may be at La Tech for the long haul.

Right now Floyd is second for me but if we beat La Tech and win the conference he would bolt ahead of White. After that disastrous road trip he has righted the ship. The team could have easily gone the other way and the wheels could have come off. Its a testament to his leadership that in the face of the harshest criticism he has faced in his tenure, Floyd kept the guys together.

Originally posted by Minerforlife:
Right now i would it give it to Coach White at La Tech. He has made La Tech a consistent winner. I think its much harder to be the hunted rather than the hunter. After last year La Tech definitely had a target on their back yet they have kept winning which is impressive. Last year he turned down the Tennessee job he may be at La Tech for the long haul.

Right now Floyd is second for me but if we beat La Tech and win the conference he would bolt ahead of White. After that disastrous road trip he has righted the ship. The team could have easily gone the other way and the wheels could have come off. Its a testament to his leadership that in the face of the harshest criticism he has faced in his tenure, Floyd kept the guys together.
Coach Johnson made that exact point on the post game show after both games this week. I agree, credit the coaches, but a lot of credit to the players too. As coach Johnson said, to a player, the focus has been 100% with no drama from anyone. Chemistry is huge.

I totally agree. That team is basically an upstate all boys catholic school team and has them playing with passion. Hell, Billy Clyde didn't do that well his 1st year and had better, more athletic players.

Yes, but he had stuff to build on and a University committed to being a competitive top 50 program. They did great this, but their fandango into Texas proves they have a long way to go (and that was just UTSA and UTEP). The UTEP game was the largest attendance game they played this year, home or road, and may have played a factor in their performance.

Rhoades at Rice has them competing day in and day out and getting better as the season hits the final stretch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT