ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

This is good news then. I was hoping they would all stay, but maybe Touchet goes as a graduate transfer??
That would be the best case scenario :). I'm surprised someone didn't ask Terry who the six guys are. He's a pretty straight shooter, and he likely has a good idea on who to expect back. With six to seven rides available, I am hoping for a couple of grad transfers.

Most likely returning Scholarship Players
Osbore,Thomas,Smith,Touchette, McGhee and Wade. So besides Avery Martinez and not sure about Ted Ocheing we will have 6 or 7 new comers. So opportunity to get some quality transfers or build from freshman up.

Reactions: axingfools1
Most likely returning Scholarship Players
Osbore,Thomas,Smith,Touchette, McGhee and Wade. So besides Avery Martinez and not sure about Ted Ocheing we will have 6 or 7 new comers. So opportunity to get some quality transfers or build from freshman up.
I don't see any reason why Gilyard should transfer and sit out a year. Are you guessing or do you have some inside info?

I don't see any reason why Gilyard should transfer and sit out a year. Are you guessing or do you have some inside info?
I hope he comes back, but last ive heard from inside the program is he hasn't returnes Terrys calls and his handler and reason why he came to Utep is no lo ger on the staff. I again am hoping for the best, but expecting the worse.

I hope he comes back, but last ive heard from inside the program is he hasn't returnes Terrys calls and his handler and reason why he came to Utep is no lo ger on the staff. I again am hoping for the best, but expecting the worse.
I heard in the town hall on facebook that he made contact with Gilyard at the end of spring break (Senter or Tiecher said so).

It will not be a good thing if terry needs to sign 7 players... there isn't that much ",change a teams direction"talent out there right now is there?

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Well it’s going to be a minimum of 6 or 7 that we need to sign, which I actually think is a good thing. Theoretically, CRT will go through the growing pains quicker this way, rather than thru staggered classes. Aside from PT, Osborne and any JCs or grad transfers he signs, Terry will have at least 3 years with next year’s team. Give him another year on top of that when it’s all his recruits and that will be plenty of time to find out how well this guy can coach his guys up. Next year may be rough but two and three years down the road, we might have a solid bb team again.

serious question. Do ya'll think having a young african american coach will draw a higher profile recruit? Or is that just naive thinking about the business of college basketball?

serious question. Do ya'll think having a young african american coach will draw a higher profile recruit? Or is that just naive thinking about the business of college basketball?

Its all about the green or a coach that gets his players to NBA. It doesnt matter if coach is black or white.

I think that recruiting is all about creating a network in which he can create
some kind of a relationship with coaches to build a trust with some of the top
recruits out there.

I’m sure it’s a little bit of everything. You have to be a salesman. And you probably have to be able to keep those players as well. If you’re losing players every year and over recruiting I’m sure that reputation follows you as well.

It could man, that is a legit question on the real, but more importantly I think it builds an instant bond and trust for today's African American athlete. I think Terry will build a big family culture, I'd be super surprised if we see ridiculous transfer numbers under him in my opinion.

What amazes me is how could Fresno not put a buyout clause in contract? Moot point now but something tells me he has a damn good agent/rep.

What amazes me is how could Fresno not put a buyout clause in contract? Moot point now but something tells me he has a damn good agent/rep.
I’ve thought about that a lot and maybe that’s another big reason why he left Fresno St. If an AD doesn’t include a buyout clause it shows signs of a lack of confidence. Did he anticipate Terry underperforming? He figured once he tanks they can get rid of him free and clear. That’s the only reason I can think of why not to include a buyout clause.

Maybe it doesn’t show a lack of confidence in Terry failing as much as it shows his willingness to work to get his man. Maybe the AD didn’t want to risk losing his man over a buyout. Just a thought because Stull didn’t even bother to have Billy G sign his contract. So there is precedence for that type of bend over backwards mentality.

Stull didn't put a buyout on Floyd's contract either. I wonder how common this is

Thats Great glad we're recruiting for the coming years, but what's going on this year? Signing day is two weeks away we need 6 scholarships and half of a team and we've heard no news at all on who Terry might be targeting to come in help next year? It's literally been crickets!
With Touchet leaving doesn't that leave us with 7 scholarships?

Thats Great glad we're recruiting for the coming years, but what's going on this year? Signing day is two weeks away we need 6 scholarships and half of a team and we've heard no news at all on who Terry might be targeting to come in help next year? It's literally been crickets!
I didn't realize it was 2 weeks away. Let's hope CT has something up his sleeve from the JC or graduate transfer level. I think he offers Newton as well. No reason not to. As far as our own leftover guys are concerned, I hope we get some confirmation soon.

With Touchet leaving doesn't that leave us with 7 scholarships?
6: Gilyard, McGee, Wade, Smith, Osborne and Thomas.

Somebody mentioned that Royster will leave. He would have been 7. Hopefully he doesn't turn into the next Eric Moreland (as far as we are concerned I mean).

If Martinez is still coming, that would leave 6 rides. One 2018 target is Nigel Hawkins out of Cy Falls.

Reactions: nattybry
6: Gilyard, McGee, Wade, Smith, Osborne and Thomas.

Somebody mentioned that Royster will leave. He would have been 7. Hopefully he doesn't turn into the next Eric Moreland (as far as we are concerned I mean).
As far as I know Avery Martinez is still coming so that's why I say 6.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Jalen Green #1 recruit for class 2020 just retweet Utep and Coach Terry. I guess Terry going for big time players.
Jalen Green is a 5-star across the board. Verbal commits is good at updating offers but not doing well at updating the players' ratings. Anyway, this is the kind of relationship that I was referring to on the '5-star' thread. Somebody like this could be the first big domino.

Also update on SG Wendell Mitchell. He has dropped UTEP from consideration. I believe he will probably end up at A&M.

Last edited:
Jalen Green is a 5-star across the board. Verbal commits is good at updating offers but not doing well at updating the players' ratings. Anyway, this is the kind of relationship that I was referring to on the '5-star' thread. Somebody like this could be the first big domino.

Also update on SG Wendell Mitchell. He has dropped UTEP from consideration. I beleive he will probably end up at A&M.

Who you think is better Mitchell or Gilyard? I thought Mitchell was a PG?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT