ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

On SportsTalk today, Kappy said that he inquired with UTEP and found out that Jakobe Dill will be a preferred walk-on.
Poor guy, but look how much our expectations have risen since Terry took over! We had to fill spots though. I'm sure he is a decent player and congrats to him.

Can Kappy inquire about about our uber athlete SF Stroud as well (without violating any rules?)

I would guess Williams is taking all 5 visits. Who the hell knows since he is not on twitter. I'm sure miner nation would have flooded the hell out of this guy like they did Ezeagu and Tarke. Maybe Terry should ask him to sign up?

It looks like Dill will surprise a lot of us. He is not the fastest guy. Seems to have a good
shot. I assume that he thinks he has a good shot of getting a scholarship here at UTEP.
I think he made a wise decision.
Welcome Jakobe Dill to UTEP, you are going to love it here.

Go Miners...

Reactions: utep2step
It looks like Dill will surprise a lot of us. He is not the fastest guy. Seems to have a good
shot. I assume that he thinks he has a good shot of getting a scholarship here at UTEP.

Go Miners...
"Forever trust in who we are, and nothing else matters":D

Go Miners...
He's a walk on doesn't take away a sholorship just another practice body.

I saw on verbal commits that JUCO player Nick Marshall has UTEP as offering him. He is a 6'11" center that played at Memphis. That is where everything gets strange. The JUCO school is transferred to did not show him as playing. The kid was rated 4* and top 100 overall player when he graduated high school in 2015.

I saw on verbal commits that JUCO player Nick Marshall has UTEP as offering him. He is a 6'11" center that played at Memphis. That is where everything gets strange. The JUCO school is transferred to did not show him as playing. The kid was rated 4* and top 100 overall player when he graduated high school in 2015.
He's been there(verbal commits) since CTF was still at the helm.

A Twitter search shows that we offered Nick Marshall on October 16, 2017. Tim Floyd retired over a month later on November 27, 2017, so the Tim Floyd staff was the one who offered Marshall. I could not find anything linking Nick Marshall to UTEP since that time?

If I remember correctly (somewhere way back in this thread), a person from a UNM thread said he was injured in a car accident and didn't play this last season due to a fractured femur?

They just haven't updated. That's been on there fot a year.

Verhoeven could easily pass Bo as UTEP' #2 shot blocker if he played here for 3 years. He had 70+ blocks as a freshman while playing just under 20 minutes/game. This kid could be a beast of a rim protector along side Ezeagu in a few years.

He was recruited by Terry at Fresno State and grew from 6'6" 180lbs his junior year of HS to 6'8" 217 lbs his freshman year at Duquesne.

IF...
The season started tomorrow I think we could see something like this on the court.
PG. Evan Gilyard
SG Nigel (Hawkeye) Hawkins
SF . Isaiah Osborne
PF Paul Thomas
C . Kaosi Ezeagu

Kobe Magee and Jakobe Dill PG/SG
Deon Stroud SG/SF

Efe Odigie C ( conflicts on size. 6-7 to 6-9 and 220 to 275 lbs)

That's nine players. I realize it depends on the talent level, but Villanova for instance only played six during their championship season.Those six accounted for about 180 of the 200 minutes of playing time. We are basically young and inexperienced, so it remains an unproven group, but I see enough there to be an optimist with the performance improving greatly as the season progresses.
Any more bodies added will just be icing on the cake. Patience, patience, patience.

IF...
The season started tomorrow I think we could see something like this on the court.
PG. Evan Gilyard
SG Nigel (Hawkeye) Hawkins
SF . Isaiah Osborne
PF Paul Thomas
C . Kaosi Ezeagu

Kobe Magee and Jakobe Dill PG/SG
Deon Stroud SG/SF

Efe Odigie C ( conflicts on size. 6-7 to 6-9 and 220 to 275 lbs)

That's nine players. I realize it depends on the talent level, but Villanova for instance only played six during their championship season.Those six accounted for about 180 of the 200 minutes of playing time. We are basically young and inexperienced, so it remains an unproven group, but I see enough there to be an optimist with the performance improving greatly as the season progresses.
Any more bodies added will just be icing on the cake. Patience, patience, patience.
Deon Stroud eligibity for this year, still a Huge Question. Doll is a walk on, but you're right might play due to lack of numbers

Coach Terry is sending a message stating he is planning on staying
for a while. Congrats on your new home Coach.

Go Miners...

Coach Terry is sending a message stating he is planning on staying
for a while. Congrats on your new home Coach.

Go Miners...
Ok, let see.....

Historically speaking UTEP revenue HC's stay west. So I say:

A) The Willows
B)(EP) Country Club area (A & B known as "God's Country" or "La Tierra de Dios")
C)Park Hills
D)"Crazy Cat" or any Franklin Mountain foothill neighborhood
E)Coronado Country Club (Foothills) neighborhood

Now judging by how he dresses he is hipster so "judging a book by it's cover" he could have gone to Cimarron Ridge which going major trendy (But far from UTEP) or Kern (revitalized trendy market area close to UTEP).

BTW, Uncle's Bob's house is still for sale!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6498-Calle-Del-Sol-Dr-El-Paso-TX-79912/27456249_zpid/

Ok, let see.....

A) The Willows
B)(EP) Country Club area (A & B known as "God's Country" or "La Tierra de Dios")
C)Park Hills

Now judging by how he dresses he is hipster so "judging a book by it's cover" he could have gone to Cimarron Ridge which going major trendy (But far from UTEP) or Kern (revitalized trendy market area close to UTEP).

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6498-Calle-Del-Sol-Dr-El-Paso-TX-79912/27456249_zpid/
According to Zillow, it is OFF the market....

Ok, let see.....

A) The Willows
C)Park Hills

Non of the above, but close to your 'hipster' high end assessment. Very nice area with a lot of wealthy professionals. He will fit right in I'm sure. Now he needs to get us a PF and we can celebrate!

Ahhh....

Rim Road Subdivision?

I think that was a homeless/Shanty area in early 20th century, more or less. I love the different architectural styles. Also, KISS had a "friend" who lived in there and when in the region they would stop by for...ummmm..."a good time" back in the 70's. Some KISS members don't talk about it or deny it but that was the 70's for ya.

Looking at everything anyone expecting more than bottom 1/3 of cusa this year?
I say top of that bottom 1/3 with everything that has happened (transfers, late hire, etc etc). Only way is up. Maybe to the 2nd round of the C-USA tournament would be nice to think about this June morning.

Ahhh....

Rim Road Subdivision?

Terry ended up in the Franklin High School area. As axing said, it is very nice neighborhood. I am happy for Coach.

Stull closed on the sale of his house at the beginning this month and he is firmly in Missouri now.

And while we're on the topic of houses, Coach Dimel bought Tim Floyd's El Paso house.

Last edited:
Reactions: unihorn
Terry ended up in the Franklin High School area. As axing said, it is very nice neighborhood. I am happy for Coach.

Stull closed on the sale of his house at the beginning this month and he is firmly in Missouri now.

And while we're on the topic of houses, Coach Dimel bought Tim Floyd's El Paso house.

That's interesting, I wonder if Floyd gave him a good price?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT