ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

Terry ended up in the Franklin High School area. As axing said, it is very nice neighborhood. I am happy for Coach.

Stull closed on the sale of his house at the beginning this month and he is firmly in Missouri now.

And while we're on the topic of houses, Coach Dimel bought Tim Floyd's El Paso house.

And I was told he bought land and will be building his own house. He plans to stay here.

Believe it or not a lot of the coaches fall in love with El Paso.
El Paso is very unique. We are kind of big but we don't have
that hustle the big cities have and it is very safe.

Go Miners...

Reactions: minermx07
He sure has brought excitement, but he hasn't fixed anything yet. Give the guy some time. Things have slowed on the recruiting front and on twitter. Still waiting for him to pull an extra big out of his hat for this year.

We should hopefully hear from Williams soon. This weekend may have been his 5th visit if he took all of them. Verhoeven I'm sure is taking more visits as well. We need one of these guys or a stud PF recruit to complete the 2019 roster, then build on it from there.

FYI...I saw a picture that makes me think Stroud is on campus. He wasn't in it but I'm sure he took it.

Last edited:
He sure has brought excitement, but he hasn't fixed anything yet. Give the guy some time. Things have slowed on the recruiting front and on twitter. Still waiting for him to pull an extra big out of his hat for this year.

We should hopefully hear from Williams soon. This weekend may have been his 5th visit if he took all of them. Verhoeven I'm sure is taking more visits as well. We need one of these guys or a stud PF recruit to complete the 2019 roster, then build on it from there.

FYI...I saw a picture that makes me think Stroud is on campus. He wasn't in it but I'm sure he took it.

I am glad somebody else said it. I am excited about this season because of a new coach and a new philosophy, but Terry has won zero games at UTEP. I will be even more excited to see UTEP beat good teams and make the NCAA Tournament.

Time to go with names to faces. For those wondering who may/may not be on campus

From left to right, the top row is: Tarke, Stroud, Osborne, Hawkins, Efe, Rhyanes, Ezeagu, Boum, Thomas, and Gilyard. Squatting down in the middle are Dill and McGee. Not sure who the guy squatting and holding the ball on the left is?

This appears to be very good news about Stroud.....and for all of our commits at least making it to campus.

Time to go with names to faces. For those wondering who may/may not be on campus
OK. I count thirteen players pkus Verhoeven is fourteen.
Available for 2018
Osborne, Stroud, Hawkins, Efe, Rhyanes, Ezeagu, Thomas, Gilyard, Dill and McGee. (Rhyanes and Dill not on scholarship ) ten for this year.
Tarke, Bourn and Verhoeven
Mystery man kneeling.
That's eleven schorships. Am I correct?

Reactions: minermx07
I like Verhoeven even more after watching his Senior year highlight video. I would compare his high school style as a lower level version of Ben Simmons. They are both big men who handle the ball well. They are both left handed and both shoot left handed. Neither guy shoots a lot of jumpers. Both of them shoot the majority of their shots within 8 feet of the basket. Both of them use their size and have a nice touch when driving towards the basket. Simmons did not make a single 3 point shot this entire season, while Verhoeven also didn’t show a single 3 point shot attempt on his entire highlight video. I am NOT saying that he is a Ben Simmons level of talent, only that his style of play and strengths/weaknesses appear to be very similar to how Simmons plays. I was surprised by how many times Verhoeven was the guy bringing the ball up the court, not the smaller guards on his team(again, similar to what Simmons does). He also has a nice touch around the rim, but his jumper appears to be slightly awkward(again, like Simmons). Obviously where they are drastically different is that Verhoeven is not the great passer and assist guy that Simmons is. We knew that Verhoeven was supposed to be a high quality shot blocker, but I think him getting this upcoming redshirt year off to work on his game could possibly be a great blessing in disguise for him and we might eventually have a quality player here. I like this pick-up more than I initially thought I would. Here is his High School video:

http://www.maxpreps.com/video/watch.aspx?videoid=a2b20dfd-1121-4db3-8276-6cd93f727fe8

It’s also an interesting note that UTEP lost a player to Duquesne(Marqwell Jackson), yet now we gain a player from Duquesne(Verhoeven), even though the two schools are a great distance from each other, have no connections, and never play each other.

Last edited:
Available for 2018
Osborne, Stroud, Hawkins, Efe, Rhyanes, Ezeagu, Thomas, Gilyard, Dill and McGee. (Rhyanes and Dill not on scholarship ) ten for this year.
Mystery man kneeling.
It's 10:
McGee, Gilyard, Hawkins, Boum, Osborne, Stroud, Tarke, Verhoeven, Efe and Eze.

We would have 1 senior, 3 juniors and 6 sophmores in 2019. Terry has staggered pretty well despite needing a bunch of players. Hopefully he can add another upper classman and a couple of good freshman

I like Verhoeven. I wonder how it effects our chances at Williams. I think another strong PF type will be Terry's priority this next recruiting cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
I like Verhoeven. I wonder how it effects our chances at Williams. I think another strong PF type will be Terry's priority this next recruiting cycle.

In reading the article below, it seems like Verhoeven left Duesquesne because he wants to be more of a perimeter wing(SF), while Dusquense wanted him to be more of an underneath player. Here is part of his quote for why he left:

>”concern over playing time wasn’t a factor — neither was homesickness, Verhoeven said.

It came down to style of play.

“I understood that I was going to play more underneath … instead of more perimeter-oriented, handling the ball, making plays, similar to the way I did in the Robert Morris game and Saint Louis game”.<“

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...basketball-keith-dambrot/stories/201803300128

So it appears that we still have an open PF spot available for Williams if he wants it.....

Why do head coaches buy houses?
Same as anyone else, equity. A former UTEP HC came out ahead on his home a some years back. I can't disclose names because the details are not of public record since Texas is non-disclosure.

More tidbits on Verhoeven: (former CRT recruit when Terry was at Fresno)

"...During his freshman season for the Dukes, he started 27 of 32 games, averaging 3.1 points and 3.3 boards per game. Duquesne finished their 2017-18 season 16-16 and 7-11 in the Atlantic 10 conference.

This man can fill another role as a 6-foot-8 combo forward for the Miners. In this day and age in basketball, a forward with this size is used widely throughout both college and professional ball.

For instance, the California native had nine blocks in Duquesne's 95-89 double overtime win against George Mason, and seven blocks against Robert Morris, which resulted in a 66-59 loss.

Another reason for his departure, Verhoeven told the Post-Gazette, was the style of play, claiming he wants to be more "underneath" the hoop instead of playing "perimeter-oriented."

Verhoeven will have to sit out a season, per NCAA transfer rules." http://krod.com/duquesne-transfer-tydus-verhoeven-commits-to-utep/

Same as anyone else, equity. A former UTEP HC came out ahead on his home a some years back. I can't disclose names because the details are not of public record since Texas is non-disclosure.
What is the address of former UTEP HC home? I'm sure Google can tell us, if TX doesn't ;)

Available for 2018
Mystery man kneeling.

What is Rhyanes story? Any chance he gets any playing time? He is another big. Also the mystery player squating with. He looks tall maybe he is another big??

What is Rhyanes story? Any chance he gets any playing time? He is another big. Also the mystery player squating with. He looks tall maybe he is another big??
Not maybe he is another Big. He's been on the team since last year. Got limited playing time ad a walk on from EP. Might be needed this year if others get into foul trouble.

Read your post again. I responded to it. You asked the question about him and now your wondering who? Haha u need some coffee brotha lol

There were two hims he was talking about. Rhaynes being one and the “mystery man” squatting being the other. Although difficult to decipher, what I got out of his question is he’s wondering who the mystery man is.

There were two hims he was talking about. Rhaynes being one and the “mystery man” squatting being the other. Although difficult to decipher, what I got out of his question is he’s wondering who the mystery man is.

I think the mystery guy is a big. Thats what i got from nattybry

From my observation of the picture i think mystery guy is a big. You see he needed to squat down because if he would of stood he wouldve blocked out tarke. Tarke is what 6'5? I cant really tell what shoe size he is. But i would bet he is 6'8.

Reactions: miner1liner
We need a scholarship worthy big man, not walk-ons or mystery men (who I'm sure are walkons). I will take Rhyanes this year if we get Williams or Iwuakor for 19'.

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT