ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

Well, he's signed and ready to go, literally. Year ago we would be reading "He's going through the NCAA clearinghouse and we're waiting on transcripts....blah, blah, blah" or "He's feeling homesick. He was here and checked in but just left....blah, blah, blah".

Agree, but is it Eze or Efe that will be more productive?

My guess is that Efe has a bit more polish to his offensive game, but that Eze has far more god given athleticism, which will show on the defensive side. In the long run, Eze will become more productive overall as his game around the rim develops. Just my 2 cents worth.

I think that Eze and Efe are going to good but their style of play
is different. Eze might have more problems staying out of foul
trouble due to his aggressiveness. I think that in the long run
Efe might make more progress and developed into a smarter player.

Go Miners...

I think that Eze and Efe are going to good but their style of play
is different. Eze might have more problems staying out of foul
trouble due to his aggressiveness. I think that in the long run
Efe might make more progress and developed into a smarter player.

Go Miners...
I agree. Eze is the (as Floyd said it) "guy with hair on his chest" player that Floyd failed to bring in his 8 years here.

I actually think he'll play a little especially in the beginning of the season. I think he'll back-up Hawkins at the 3.

He has a pretty good looking shot with a soft touch. Appears to have good bb IQ. I watched 3 vids on him, two were game time and one was a skills session. I agree that he’ll see the court, especially early on. The thing that is going to limit this kid’s pt, in my opinion, is his lack of explosiveness. Reminds me of a better Flaggert. I trust him, but wonder how many more guys in the 6’ 5”-6’ 6” range can Terry get? We are loaded in this size range.

The thing I didn’t see is whether he will be eligible this year. He got into at least 1 game for Fresno St last year. Maybe he didn’t see enough court time and he was able to red shirt? Anyone know?

Ive talked about him before. I dont think he is a walk on. Why would someone from Belgium come to walk on???

Ive talked about him before. I dont think he is a walk on. Why would someone from Belgium come to walk on???
I'm not sure. Maybe he didn't get the offers he wanted? He did attend high school in West Virginia at Huntington Prep. He was a walk-on last year at Fresno St and is a walk-on at UTEP.

Don't forget that last year's Heisman trophy winner and 1st pick in the NFL draft was a walk-on....twice. Weirder things have happened.

I'm not sure. Maybe he didn't get the offers he wanted? He did attend high school in West Virginia at Huntington Prep. He was a walk-on last year at Fresno St and is a walk-on at UTEP.

Don't forget that last year's Heisman trophy winner and 1st pick in the NFL draft was a walk-on....twice. Weirder things have happened.
I doubt that his eligibility is dependent on anything other than the NCAA determining whether or not he played enough minutes last year. From a reasonable standpoint IMO, he should be eligible, but who knows?

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I doubt that his eligibility is dependent on anything other than the NCAA determining whether or not he played enough minutes last year. From a reasonable standpoint IMO, he should be eligible, but who knows?

Exactly. Precisely why I asked the question. He played at Fresno St last year. Was he on the court enough to warrant losing a year in his transfer or did he end up red shirting meaning he’d be immediately eligible?

Even as a walk on, if he played last year, he has to sit a year. That’s my understanding anyway. Maybe I’m wrong????
Transfers

If you played at another four-year Division I school and transfer to a new four-year Division I school to play as a walk on, you follow the same rules as scholarship player transfers. In many cases you sit out a year before playing. You also will be subject to the same academic progress formula scholarship players adhere to. But in some cases, walk-ons are not subject to the same intraconference restrictions as scholarship players.

Walk-Ons Get to Eat!

Prior to a major NCAA rules change, walk-on players had to pay for their meals at the athletic training table. Then the NCAA lifted its meal restrictions and allowed teams to provide unlimited meals and snacks to its players. As part of that change, walk-ons no longer must pay for their meals at the training table.

https://healthfully.com/college-basketball-rules-walkons-6744842.html

Transfers

If you played at another four-year Division I school and transfer to a new four-year Division I school to play as a walk on, you follow the same rules as scholarship player transfers. In many cases you sit out a year before playing. You also will be subject to the same academic progress formula scholarship players adhere to. But in some cases, walk-ons are not subject to the same intraconference restrictions as scholarship players.

Walk-Ons Get to Eat!

Prior to a major NCAA rules change, walk-on players had to pay for their meals at the athletic training table. Then the NCAA lifted its meal restrictions and allowed teams to provide unlimited meals and snacks to its players. As part of that change, walk-ons no longer must pay for their meals at the training table.

https://healthfully.com/college-basketball-rules-walkons-6744842.html

That’s what I thought. Thanks for confirming, even if the rule isn’t so cut and dry.

Per Verbal commits Antwon January has cut UTEP from consideration.

I understand, but its too bad. He seems like a skilled big with a lot of potential. I wish him good luck and on to the next for us. No luck with the January's.

Per Verbal commits Antwon January has cut UTEP from consideration.

I understand, but its too bad. He seems like a skilled big with a lot of potential. I wish him good luck and on to the next for us. No luck with the January's.
Or Isaacs. If there is ever a kid from El Paso named Isaac January who is a 5 star recruit. UTEP should stay out of the way. No good can come from it.

A
All the offers that seem to come up are guards. Why are we not targeting any post players?

According to verbal commits. 3 PF for 2019 have trimmed utep off their list the past week or so. Hoping he picks up a couple more big prospects for 2019 also

A

According to verbal commits. 3 PF for 2019 have trimmed utep off their list the past week or so. Hoping he picks up a couple more big prospects for 2019 also
Maybe its because they know we have a stud PF for 2019 and don't want to redshirt, or they are just getting 'better' offers. We will be ok for now but I'm hoping for some big prospects too. CRT has certainly increased my expectations.

Maybe its because they know we have a stud PF for 2019 and don't want to redshirt, or they are just getting 'better' offers. We will be ok for now but I'm hoping for some big prospects too. CRT has certainly increased my expectations.

Very true. But we'll still need size for the future. That's what I meant by big prospects. But of course wouldn't mine any "big time" prospects either lol

Reactions: axingfools1
Let's not get ahead of ourselves and start front running. UTEP offer is leverage for your higher sought after recruits and while CRT pulled off just short of a miracle for this year and next year, let's be realistic. This was made plain to see during Floyd years.

I for one have no predictions or unrealistic expectations this year. If we even go .500 I'll be pleasantly surprised. While I like what Terry's done so far. 2019-2020 and the following year should on paper be really good!
Hell yeah. With that kind of lineup expectation should be high, as in run for conference title high expectations for '19-'20 year. This is a Kermit Davis type team he has assembled in a just a few months.

I would add not to worry about signing guys to play the 4-5 spots. We will have Eze, Odigie and Verhoeven who are all 6'9" or taller and Williams at 6'8". Terry plays a much different style of basketball than what we have seen at UTEP. The offense will not be centered around the post but rather it will start from the outside with shooters. Some people have low expectations for this years team but after seeing the completion of this class I am expecting a 20+ game winning season with a deep run in the CBI and perhaps getting into the NIT.

I would add not to worry about signing guys to play the 4-5 spots. We will have Eze, Odigie and Verhoeven who are all 6'9" or taller and Williams at 6'8". Terry plays a much different style of basketball than what we have seen at UTEP. The offense will not be centered around the post but rather it will start from the outside with shooters. Some people have low expectations for this years team but after seeing the completion of this class I am expecting a 20+ game winning season with a deep run in the CBI and perhaps getting into the NIT.
Something to consider for this year's expectations is to review what we lost from last year's contributors compared to what we're gaining this year. Is it an upgrade, downgrade or level? Aside from lack of depth, I think we are upgraded with the quality of the additions.

Something to consider for this year's expectations is to review what we lost from last year's contributors compared to what we're gaining this year. Is it an upgrade, downgrade or level? Aside from lack of depth, I think we are upgraded with the quality of the additions.

I think we've upgraded as well, but it may take a year or two before we really see that. We've got some good looking freshmen, but they are freshmen none the less

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT