ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

Looks like an abundance of options for 2019/20. In fact it's looking to be an over abundance. I'm not complaining; just commenting, but remember how everyone on here howled and cried out when Floyd over recruited. It was inhumane, unfair and unjustified for him to do the same thing we are all either ignoring or praising Terry for. Could be he knows something that we don't, but at this point I wonder.

Reactions: axingfools1
Looks like an abundance of options for 2019/20. In fact it's looking to be an over abundance. I'm not complaining; just commenting, but remember how everyone on here howled and cried out when Floyd over recruited. It was inhumane, unfair and unjustified for him to do the same thing we are all either ignoring or praising Terry for. Could be he knows something that we don't, but at this point I wonder.

It’s different. Floyd was actually guilty of over recruiting. There was even a rule named after him, The Tim Floyd Rule, aka, the eight and five rule. One has to “earn” a distinction such as that.

As you already alluded to the possibility, perhaps Terry knows something we don’t. Until he proves otherwise, I choose to trust where he’s going with this. He’s known as a pretty stand up guy in the cbb world. That can’t be by accident.

Hopefully we don’t experience it to the extent we did with Floyd, and feel like we’re constantly starting over, but In this day and age we are going to experience some attrition, making room for others to come aboard. That’s my guess anyway.

It’s different. Floyd was actually guilty of over recruiting. There was even a rule named after him, The Tim Floyd Rule, aka, the eight and five rule. One has to “earn” a distinction such as that.

As you already alluded to the possibility, perhaps Terry knows something we don’t. Until he proves otherwise, I choose to trust where he’s going with this. He’s known as a pretty stand up guy in the cbb world. That can’t be by accident.

Hopefully we don’t experience it to the extent we did with Floyd, and feel like we’re constantly starting over, but In this day and age we are going to experience some attrition, making room for others to come aboard. That’s my guess anyway.
Floyd's recruiting was made with good intentions but led him straight to perdition. He easily could over recruit because he knew there was always one or two who could not fit in his style of play no matter the accolades they received. Most were ill prepared psychologically for what they were getting into and in my opinion, Floyd always knew that in his gut but his style of recruiting was no more than hedge betting. I am no way mean to diminish his coaching. Specifically his recruiting at UTEP that was a disaster which found it's way on the court. I'll never forget one of his early top recruits publicly admitted he didn't belong in college and hated the thought (you have to remember this was before the "Ball brand" basketball that was offered to high school players but is now failing).

The practice of over recruiting is not new to college basketball, or specific to Tim Floyd (although as Fananticoog mentioned he is the poster child). Floyd utilized this practice with great success at his previous stops prior to UTEP. Where he failed at UTEP, was his inability to keep/replace his best players. When he was hired, Terry mentioned that an important responsibility was to re-recruit his existing players. This doesn't mean that all his players will end up staying. While I do not expect the massive roster turnover evident during the Floyd tenure, I do think that Terry will find a spot for a guy he thinks will help him win. That is the nature of the business. I think the signing of Vila is a clear example of that.

Cruzzi, a guard, is still listed as a commit but before Vila was signed, Cruzzi was one of 3 on the commit list but not Vila. Vila has been involved with Terry for quite a while and he fills a need that another guard really can't.

Cruzzi, a guard, is still listed as a commit but before Vila was signed, Cruzzi was one of 3 on the commit list but not Vila. Vila has been involved with Terry for quite a while and he fills a need that another guard really can't.

Agree. Pretty sure Cruzzi was offered as a walk on and therefore wouldn’t count against our numbers, tho.

Last edited:
I think McGee will leave the program after this year. The numbers will work out. I also think Giles will be on an academic scholarship and not athletic.

I think it'll be either Kobe or eze in my opinion. I hope eze stays of the 2. I think we're gonna see the best of him during Cusa schedule

I think it'll be either Kobe or eze in my opinion. I hope eze stays of the 2. I think we're gonna see the best of him during Cusa schedule
Of course anything can happen, but I don't think Eze goes anywhere. He is the only one of his kind on the team and CRT has raved about his potential. Vila is a stretch 4 and (although he is literally a big man) I don't think Verhoeven came here to be a center. Williams could be a one and done for us so Eze might be a good candidate to redshirt.

The person that leaves will almost certainly be guard just based on sheer numbers and circumstances. We will have 3 new guards coming in next season and 2 small forwards. Tarke will likely be a starter IMO.

It's only my opinion because of the bigs coming in next year. He was one of my favorite recruits this year and really hope he stays all 4 years. But do you all think he'd be willing to redshirt?

I honestly dont think he will redshirt... he will provide good depth next year and if in my head things are working right the classes are balanced pretty well...

Reactions: minermx07
Was looking at Rivals commitments for 2019 and in addition to Zarzuela, Wentzel and Vila there's a Jociah Cruzzi, 6'-5" that committed 9/29/18. Got two questions...
1) Is Cruzzi still a live commit?
2) What's with all the "z's"?
Too many z's means sleepy.

2) What's with all the "z's"?
Outside of the US it's pronouced zed.
giphy.gif

JOCIAH CRUZZI
Anybody know if he's a definite commit in addition to Vila, Wentzel and Zarzuela? Rivals shows he committed in September.

JOCIAH CRUZZI
Anybody know if he's a definite commit in addition to Vila, Wentzel and Zarzuela? Rivals shows he committed in September.
He committed to be a preferred walk-on. If he gets a scholarship offer elsewhere he will likely take it

Played in ten games, averaged 2.1 ppg, shot 5 of 26 fgs, 1 of 11 threes, 62% Fts not presently listed on their roster. Was recruited by everyone. Highly valued out of Midlothian HS.
Very interesting and mysterious. Wonder what the story is.

Played in ten games, averaged 2.1 ppg, shot 5 of 26 fgs, 1 of 11 threes, 62% Fts not presently listed on their roster. Was recruited by everyone. Highly valued out of Midlothian HS.
Most likely not happy with playing time. His stats aren't great, but I'll gladly take the scraps of a deep 14-4
Big 12 school.

He'll be eligible at the end of the fall semester (edit: may have to sit out 12 months). Has a man's body. Will play bigger than his 6'6" frame due to his length. Probably didn't see playing time because he couldn't guard the small forwards he was playing against. He's a little heavy footed and probably best suited for an inside game. Hope he grows an inch or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
He'll be eligible at the end of the fall semester (edit: may have to sit out 12 months). Has a man's body. Will play bigger than his 6'6" frame due to his length. Probably didn't see playing time because he couldn't guard the small forwards he was playing against. He's a little heavy footed and probably best suited for an inside game. Hope he grows an inch or two.
Have you seen him live or on video? How would you compare him to Tarke?

According to Star Telegram he was unhappy with his minutes. HC said "There's not enough minutes". He said "bye!". Second transfer this year for TCU. I think they have the Tim Floyd bug: HC ego + Player ego - constructive dialogue (Parent/Guardian and/or player) = Trouble with possibility of transfer.

Dill is transferring out..
Interesting that he never had a chance to play. Possibility Terry decided to save him a year of eligibility by not using him. Sure could have used an extra talented body. He had nice HS stats. He knew who was coming in next year.

Are the Miners recruiting Tristen Newton from Burgess? He’s a 6’3 shooting guard who plays for the 5th ranked team in 5A. The kid is averaging 38 points per game. I know his average may not seem impressive due to the quality of basketball played in EP, but he looks like the real deal.

His cousin went to play for Evansville. They were dynamite together last year. He's averaging 2.8 points a game as a freshman.
I doubt UTEP is recruiting him. If so, as a walkon.

How do transfers work as far as recruiting rankings? 247 didn’t list any of our transfers for the 2018 class nor are they on the 2019 class. If they were included we would have a top 30 class.

Reactions: axingfools1
Are the Miners recruiting Tristen Newton from Burgess? He’s a 6’3 shooting guard who plays for the 5th ranked team in 5A. The kid is averaging 38 points per game. I know his average may not seem impressive due to the quality of basketball played in EP, but he looks like the real deal.
According to gags, Jans was looking (at the brothers) last year at a 01/2018 game (photo from KTSM 2018 tweet provided). Other than that, nada. He can score and shoot from anywhere.
https://247sports.com/college/new-mexico-state/Board/103615/Contents/Hoops-Recruiting--114271077/

He has his own official website and according to his website, two schools are interested in him: UT-Rio Grande Valley &
University of Evansville
http://ixathletes.com/tristen_newton/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT