ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

According to gags, Jans was looking (at the brothers) last year at a 01/2018 game (photo from KTSM 2018 tweet provided). Other than that, nada. He can score and shoot from anywhere.
https://247sports.com/college/new-mexico-state/Board/103615/Contents/Hoops-Recruiting--114271077/

He has his own official website and according to his website, two schools are interested in him: UT-Rio Grande Valley &
University of Evansville
http://ixathletes.com/tristen_newton/
I remember that Aaron Jones was pushing him a while back, hoping UTEP would be interested. Apparently not. Actually I think they might be cousins.

Last edited:
Tough to gauge because his videos he is a man amongst boys against way inferior local talent. Didn't see any of his MVP Dallas ISD tournament video?

Reactions: minermx07
In nine games this year he averaged 4.4 ppg prior to foot surgery. In 2017/18 he averaged 6.6 ppg. Guess the foot was worth about 2.2.

Last edited:
A mysterious development indeed. Remember how we were always trying to decipher some of Floyd's shenanigans? Thought things were gonna be different this time.

Terry went on SportsTalk and Steve had a disclaimer that he was told that he is not allowed to ask about departures of coaches or players.

Terry went on SportsTalk and Steve had a disclaimer that he was told that he is not allowed to ask about departures of coaches or players.

I understand the value in keeping some things in-house, but it’s not like this/these situation(s) occurred yesterday. There’s been plenty of time to collaborate and come up with a mutually agreed upon message as to what happened between CRT and the dismissed, both players and coach. Not jumping to any conclusions because it could be anything really, but the outright lack of transparency is a little mystifying.

I understand the value in keeping some things in-house, but it’s not like this/these situation(s) occurred yesterday. There’s been plenty of time to collaborate and come up with a mutually agreed upon message as to what happened between CRT and the dismissed, both players and coach. Not jumping to any conclusions because it could be anything really, but the outright lack of transparency is a little mystifying.
Listen, coaches and administrators run a thin legal line whenever they talk about former players, coaches, students, teachers etc. So I understand not wanting to talk about it.

Still, a coach should be able to dance around a subject without having to avoid it all together. Floyd was a master at talking in generalities and not adressing specific issues.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Listen, coaches and administrators run a thin legal line whenever they talk about former players, coaches, students, teachers etc. So I understand not wanting to talk about it.

Still, a coach should be able to dance around a subject without having to avoid it all together. Floyd was a master at talking in generalities and not adressing specific issues.

Yeah, but there is obviously a deliberate attempt to evade the subject altogether. Like you said, the questions can be vaguely answered without crossing any legal boundary. Just the “fact” that CRT put that stipulation out to Kappy suggests it might’ve otherwise been approached. Oh well...

Reactions: jdubb66
Yeah, but there is obviously a deliberate attempt to evade the subject altogether. Like you said, the questions can be vaguely answered without crossing any legal boundary. Just the “fact” that CRT put that stipulation out to Kappy suggests it might’ve otherwise been approached. Oh well...
YUP!

The way it was told to me was Burton was let go for just basically not doing a good job. Smith caught them off guard. He was supposed to be here. Therefore, another down the bench coach would have been hired.
As for "splash" hire, I just don't know. I did hear a coach with D1 experience was supposed to be coming with a possible recruit on his coattails. Shit happens and things change.....
For the record, I'm not overly impressed with the grad transfers mentioned on this board at all. I'd rather leave the spot open.

Reactions: ZonaMiner
UTEP went full throttle controlling what UTEP fans see and hear. That's fine and I saw that happening after the Kugler and Floyd meltdowns happening in real time on radio or TV. The only problem is, they must always and never forget they work for you and I. They are not a private university. So not asking this or that is "requested" and the media does not have to abide by it.

Now if these local media sports media folks were willing to learn they would call up or read the Fresno Bee sports media personnel. They know how to back hand a head coach, the Athletic Director and fans and make them feel like champs in the same sentence and that's exactly what they did when CRT left Fresno and the hiring of Justin Hustson. That was some of the best sports writing I have seen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT