ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

You got me there. Alvarez wasn’t a commit so he doesn’t count. Unofficial count.
Upgrade 2 Lateral 1 Downgrade 1
Not a bad start. We’ll see where Lathon and Hawkins end up. Tarke will probably be a downgrade.

Georgia Southern, Stephen F Austin, Milwaukee.

Another Houston kid, so hopefully Terry can continue to work that area. Drawback is that Bieniemy would need to sit out next year, unless the NCAA approves the one time transfer waiver rule.

Which is plausible in this day and age. Doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason as to who is granted immediate eligibility. Plus, it wouldn’t surprise me if the one time transfer without penalty rule goes into effect for the 20-21 school year.

I have my doubts as to whether Terry can even wrangle him in, though. He’ll have to be one helluva salesman to get him here. As much as it pains me to say it, we just don’t have a lot going for us right now as a hoops destination. There are 3 schools in his top 5 that, as a player, I’d choose before utep at this point in time.

he will go to NMSU... just because we are utep and that is our luck...

If he wants to win conference championships, play in the NCAA tournament, and play his conference tournament in Vegas, he will choose NMSU.

If he wants to finish in the bottom pod, have fans hope they go to the CBI, and play his conference tournament in a practice football field with an AAU curtain, he will choose UTEP.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Come back to Texas, Mack. If these are the only teams involved I feel like we have a good chance at landing him.

Reactions: axingfools1
Mack is from Austin where Coach Terry has many connections. He was 14th in country in assists playing in the Big 10.
You are exactly what the doctor ordered, Cam. All we need is a good point guard to complete the roster. C'mon down or over, depending on where you are.

Mack is a guy I could get excited about. Takes a little while before seeing much of him in this vid but he has really good vision, is both quick and fast, and has a decent shot. Would be a good get for CRT.

Agreed, but we need an assist man now. I'm torn on the NCAA changing the transfer rule.

He showed he could be a really good facilitator in that highlight vid. I also watch a HS vid of him. Looks to be equally good an assist man as he is a scorer. I’d take this guy as our PG.

6.5 assists per game. Julyan Stone’s best year was 6.4 assists per.

NM. I see what you’re saying. We need a guy who can play NOW. I agree with that.

Reactions: MineroFanatico

If he is leaving to be closer to his mom, like so many other players claim, with her illness he should be granted immediate eligibility regardless of whether the rule changes or not.

But with the likes of Portland, Portland State, East Carolina and Rhode Island after his services, he could hardly use that reason to gain immediate eligibility playing for any of those schools.

Just to fair, it isn’t like EP is a stones throw from Austin either. Closer? Yes. Close? I guess that’s relative.

Hopefully he chooses UTEP and the NCAA sees it his way.

If he is leaving to be closer to his mom, like so many other players claim, with her illness he should be granted immediate eligibility regardless of whether the rule changes or not.

But with the likes of Portland, Portland State, East Carolina and Rhode Island after his services, he could hardly use that reason to gain immediate eligibility playing for any of those schools.

Just to fair, it isn’t like EP is a stones throw from Austin either. Closer? Yes. Close? I guess that’s relative.

Hopefully he chooses UTEP and the NCAA sees it his way.
Just a tab bit farther that St. Louis to Milwaukee.

Somebody should forward this info to Tristan Newton too since they are in the same class.

This kid is really talented and a real head case. His next school will be his 4th school in 3 years. He was suspended multiple times this past season for missing practices, team buses, etc. All of that might work in UTEP's favor with other schools not wanting to bother with him. Worth a shot?
I think so, but only if eligible now.

This kid is really talented and a real head case. His next school will be his 4th school in 3 years. He was suspended multiple times this past season for missing practices, team buses, etc. All of that might work in UTEP's favor with other schools not wanting to bother with him. Worth a shot?

We’ve got to go high risk to get high reward sometimes. I say yes. It worked out with Caracter. Not much to lose.

Reactions: Lil_Train
We’ve got to go high risk to get high reward sometimes. I say yes. It worked out with Caracter. Not much to lose.
I agree, especially since we currently have zero PGs on the roster. On top of that, Terry would still have 3 rides to work with, and I would think he would try to get another one as well. The decision on the one time waiver is expected next month from the NCAA. I wouldn't bring him in unless he can play next year; just too much of a wildcard.

I agree, especially since we currently have zero PGs on the roster. On top of that, Terry would still have 3 rides to work with, and I would think he would try to get another one as well. The decision on the one time waiver is expected next month from the NCAA. I wouldn't bring him in unless he can play next year; just too much of a wildcard.

Agree. As axingfools stated, we need an assist man “now”. Can you imagine trying to keep this kid content, babysitting him while riding out his transfer year? **** that! It’s gotta be now or never with this kid.

And Floyd tried with Hamilton, and Haskins tried with Johnson (Kansas Jayhawk transfer in late 80's that Haskins sent home on a one way ticket).

Its always a gamble but the en mass exodus is concerning but forgotten with a conference title.

Agree. As axingfools stated, we need an assist man “now”. Can you imagine trying to keep this kid content, babysitting him while riding out his transfer year? **** that! It’s gotta be now or never with this kid.
Isn't it usually the case that you won't know when The NCAA will declare when he's elible until he's already signed, sealed and delivered. Gilyard and Archie had both been enrolled before The NCAA declared them eligible early.

And Floyd tried with Hamilton, and Haskins tried with Johnson (Kansas Jayhawk transfer in late 80's that Haskins sent home on a one way ticket).

Its always a gamble but the en mass exodus is concerning but forgotten with a conference title.

There wasn’t much risk in recruiting Hamilton, other than having a mouthful of sour grapes. Now Rashanti Harris is another story. Plus, at that point in time, we thought we still had a solid program under Floyd and there might’ve been something to lose then.

Now, we truly have almost nothing to lose in attempting to lure a behavior risk at the end of his college career to EP. If it doesn’t work out, well we’re right back to where we are now.

There wasn’t much risk in recruiting Hamilton, other than having a mouthful of sour grapes. Now Rashanti Harris is another story. Plus, at that point in time, we thought we still had a solid program under Floyd and there might’ve been something to lose then.

Now, we truly have almost nothing to lose in attempting to lure a behavior risk at the end of his college career to EP. If it doesn’t work out, well we’re right back to where we are now.
I get ya.

One bit of silver lining is the bar is always much higher than UTEP Football.

Isn't it usually the case that you won't know when The NCAA will declare when he's elible until he's already signed, sealed and delivered. Gilyard and Archie had both been enrolled before The NCAA declared them eligible early.

I think you are correct under ordinary circumstances. This guy is most likely appealing to the NCAA for immediate eligibility upon transferring due to a sick parent (which should be verifiable) it sounds like. The NCAA is much more likely to make a quick(er) determination when that is the case. I’d be inclined to think he’d get the waiver. Especially with all the hoopla about the potential of it happening across the board for any student athlete. I just think things have loosened up a bit in regards to transferring.

I think you are correct under ordinary circumstances. This guy is most likely appealing to the NCAA for immediate eligibility upon transferring due to a sick parent (which should be verifiable) it sounds like. The NCAA is much more likely to make a quick(er) determination when that is the case. I’d be inclined to think he’d get the waiver. Especially with all the hoopla about the potential of it happening across the board for any student athlete. I just think things have loosened up a bit in regards to transferring.
Wouldn't hurt to figure out how to get Agnew immediately eligible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT