ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

RJ Barrett and Shau Gil Alexander follow him on Instagram and liked his post. I know it's not that big of deal. But most
players that are good pretty much keep in touch with each other. Maybe he is known in Canada.
I think they may have gone to the same school?

"The 6'2 junior guard from Detroit transferred to UTEP from North Alabama this offseason, but the Lions declined to provide support for his move to El Paso. Without the support of North Alabama, Agnew's waiver with the NCAA Clearinghouse was not granted."

Read More: Christian Agnew Will Bring The Sauce to UTEP Basketball | https://krod.com/christian-agnew-wi...tball/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Why did North Alabama "provide no support"?
The North Alabama coach was unhappy that Agnew decided to transfer. A big part of the NCAA approval is based on the assistance from the former school.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Good one. Actually, on a side note,I don't think Lathon had been approved either. I don't think it was a UTEP thing, but this global waiver would probably help him too. Most guys had already been approved.
Question...
If the NCAA does in fact give Agnew the greenlight will it just result in "another" DNP in the box score along with Onyema, Hess, White, etc.?

Question...
If the NCAA does in fact give Agnew the greenlight will it just result in "another" DNP in the box score along with Onyema, Hess, White, etc.?
I think he plays, but it does mean more DNP for all the others listed above (except Vuk of course)

Agree 100%, but Hess was brought in for a specific reason. Its unusual that he hasn't played with no explanation after shooting well in the 1st few games.
Seriously even in the two runaway games; no sight of White (poetic); why? His stats look nice from last season. Need scorers. Same tune; different year!!!! Look at his bio on website

Seriously even in the two runaway games; no sight of White (poetic); why? His stats look nice from last season. Need scorers. Same tune; different year!!!! Look at his bio on website
He can’t beat out the guards in front of him. White was plan C in case Bienemy/Agnew didn’t qualify.

Reactions: Lil_Train
QUOTE="axingfools1, post: 162756, member: 3623"]
Did we find out the NCAA ruling yet for Agnew and all the others?

I wonder if White is any better than Vuk?
[/QUOTE]

Not yet. I know the immediate waiver is expected to be a go, but its kind of strange how something so unprecedented like this has received so little attention. No mention of it on the NCAA website. No mention on the NCAA Twitter account. Only a few outlets reported on it yesterday that the official vote on it was supposed to happen some time today.

Good one. Actually, on a side note,I don't think Lathon had been approved either. I don't think it was a UTEP thing, but this global waiver would probably help him too. Most guys had already been approved.
How could Lathon, with family issues prompting him to be closer to home, not get a waiver, but Hawkins, stomping out over playing time, did?

So who do you guys think we are trying to replace now?
Looking at the roster next year, presumably without Williams, we are going to need major immediate help inside. I doubt several guys at the end of the roster will be back next year, so I don't view bringing in a guy like Chukwu as a one for one replacement. I do think we need to upgrade the overall talent of the roster.

How could Lathon, with family issues prompting him to be closer to home, not get a waiver, but Hawkins, stomping out over playing time, did?
I did see that Hawkins, and the other UTEP transfers were given "run off" waivers; basically indicating there was no scholarship available for them which makes it more likely they will be immediately eligible at the next school. I did not see Lathon listed as a run off. It is still odd that Lathon was not allowed to play this year with the global waiver. Again, it shows the craziness that is the NCAA.

I did see that Hawkins, and the other UTEP transfers were given "run off" waivers; basically indicating there was no scholarship available for them which makes it more likely they will be immediately eligible at the next school. I did not see Lathon listed as a run off. It is still odd that Lathon was not allowed to play this year with the global waiver. Again, it shows the craziness that is the NCAA.
Did the ncaa give him a waiver when he transferred over from the big 10. Maybe that’s why they didn’t grant him this one.

Did the ncaa give him a waiver when he transferred over from the big 10. Maybe that’s why they didn’t grant him this one.
He was denied admission to Northwestern so he was never enrolled there. Overall, strange situation for him.

Reactions: JCorona
He was denied admission to Northwestern so he was never enrolled there. Overall, strange situation for him.
Exactly.

Hawkins was run off? I guess he did get benched after his dirty technical foul against UAB last season (only played in one game after that). That coupled with his attitude problem with Lathon was enough to do it, I guess.

Exactly.

Hawkins was run off? I guess he did get benched after his dirty technical foul against UAB last season (only played in one game after that). That coupled with his attitude problem with Lathon was enough to do it, I guess.
The run off waiver "is designed for athletes who have not been kicked off the team for academic or disciplinary reasons. That would be within the control of the student-athlete. Athletic performance is not considered within the athlete’s control, whether the team is oversigned, the athlete was “recruited over”, or the coach misevaluated the athlete and they do not meet the standards of the program."

Not 100% sure, but I don't think Lathon received the run off waiver like Hawkins, Stroud, Tarke, and Archie. That would have made it easier for him to be eligible to play this year. Even without a run off waiver, you would think he would be eligible as a result of the "global" waiver, but that is not the case. Weird.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT