ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

I saw his hilights on YouTube. He seems like he’s a big kid who likes to play down low but at the same time he either looks really big or all of his opponents are tiny.

Yep. Why else would he back out a week later?
Because he got a better offer? Kids are rarely done with their recruiting until signed on the dotted line. Even then, we all know it is no guarantee. I bet he ends up in what he thinks is a more desirable place. Wouldn’t be surprised if he commits somewhere else very soon.

Reactions: Lil_Train
What has Terry done to inspire recruits to come to UTEP?
I’m not sure but I would imagine utep is a damn hard sell right now, to a kid who has options.

I think we’re gonna need a BCG type roster. Mostly unheralded recruits who put their work shoes on every day, who stay put, and get busy. Maybe we can build from “unlikely” success. I just can’t imagine that is gonna be under CRT’s watch though.

Because he got a better offer? Kids are rarely done with their recruiting until signed on the dotted line. Even then, we all know it is no guarantee. I bet he ends up in what he thinks is a more desirable place. Wouldn’t be surprised if he commits somewhere else very soon.
Did he sign with somebody else? The time frame was pretty short.

Did he sign with somebody else? The time frame was pretty short.
Not sure, axing. That’s why I posed it as a question. It could very well be that it’s because BW and Vila will be back next year. Reading up on him, it seems like had he had a season, or full season this year, his recruitment would’ve gone up. Many teams are just finding out the last minutes holes they need to fill, so my guess is someone got in his ear. I could be wrong though. Just a guess.

Not sure, axing. That’s why I posed it as a question. It could very well be that it’s because BW and Vila will be back next year. Reading up on him, it seems like had he had a season, or full season this year, his recruitment would’ve gone up. Many teams are just finding out the last minutes holes they need to fill, so my guess is someone got in his ear. I could be wrong though. Just a guess.
Yeah I get all that. The timing is just throwing me off, but you know me I'm old school. I'm not a fan of how coaching and recruiting are nowadays.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
9.6 ppg on .460 from the field, .375 from 3, and .646 from the line, with 6.0 rpg. He would definitely help provide front court depth, but is certainly not an adequate replacement for BW if he leaves.
Well probably not, but he did play well in conference and especially down the stretch in his lone season at Illinois St. He did have some monster games in the MWC 4 years ago too (17/13 against Fresno St). He is older, has a family and will likely be getting his last shot at UTEP. He is a wild card.

BTW we still haven't heard from BW. Are we thinking he tries to make the combine or get individual workouts and then decides?

I'm sure Vila will come back, but I'm not sure how he fits in. I can't imagine he has been able to practice.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Well probably not, but he did play well in conference and especially down the stretch in his lone season at Illinois St. He did have some monster games in the MWC 4 years ago too (17/13 against Fresno St). He is older, has a family and will likely be getting his last shot at UTEP. He is a wild card.

BTW we still haven't heard from BW. Are we thinking he tries to make the combine or get individual workouts and then decides?

I'm sure Vila will come back, but I'm not sure how he fits in. I can't imagine he has been able to practice.
I am not certain but it sounds like lil_train may have gotten word that this guy is a replacement for BW.

Besides a real rim protector/rebounder, I really think we need one more strong guard that can handle the ball and make plays. Its obvious Vuk was not the short term answer and it seems that Hess and White are not really in Terry's plans.

I am not certain but it sounds like lil_train may have gotten word that this guy is a replacement for BW.
I had heard rumors of a possible D1 transfer player that they were looking to bring in as a more known commodity to help fill in for Williams. I don't think Fisher is a one for one replacement for BW by any means, but at least we know he can produce decent numbers at a similar level as UTEP. Obviously, playing time would be a factor for a guy with just one year of eligibility, so availability of BW's minutes makes sense.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Besides a real rim protector/rebounder, I really think we need one more strong guard that can handle the ball and make plays. Its obvious Vuk was not the short term answer and it seems that Hess and White are not really in Terry's plans.
Agree. I think bringing in another PG who can augment Bieniemy is critical. I thought Bieniemy wore down as the season progressed, after some decent offensive games in the middle part of the season. In my opinion, he played way too many minutes. I don't see Vuk as a guy who can fill in that type of role.

NMJC....like his game.
"JUCO guard Romon Douglas-Watkis is a name to know. Through his first five games with John A. Logan, the 6-foot-6 shooting guard is averaging 12.8 PPG, shooting 45% from the field, and 34.8% from three. As of now he holds offers from East Tennessee State, Weber State, Cal State Bakersfield, UTSA, and South Alabama. There’s also heavy interest from West Virginia, Iona, Cincinnati, Illinois State with power 5 schools checking in and some top mid major programs as well." [247Sports]

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT