ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

I thought there were some people here that really liked Efe as a player. He leaves and not a blip. Good luck to him. I won't be surprised if he ends up at Rice or another smaller school close to home.

We did. Just not surprised. Only really surprised it didn’t happen last year.

I thought there were some people here that really liked Efe as a player. He leaves and not a blip. Good luck to him. I won't be surprised if he ends up at Rice or another smaller school close to home.

I liked Efe. I thought he played an important role off the bench especially later in the season when he seems to get more comfortable with his mid-range jumper. I appreciate that he spent 3 years here and wish him all the luck in the world.

I think it sucks that he left, it's a no brainer for him. After his very nice freshman year we all expected big, big things. Maybe we'll never know what happened, but I guarantee there's a story behind it.
Expect Onyema to be next.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I think it sucks that he left, it's a no brainer for him. After his very nice freshman year we all expected big, big things. Maybe we'll never know what happened, but I guarantee there's a story behind it.
Expect Onyema to be next.
Efe is a real smart kid. It's a testament to him that he stuck with Terry and UTEP for as long as he did. A couple of things though:

1) Terry never lauded Efe on the court (despite his high usage and efficiency his freshman year). Terry immediately overrecruited at the center position and pushed out Ezeagu. He actually told the media that Efe wouldn't have played otherwise. He must have convinced Efe to lose weight and try and compete for the job, but that was the worst thing he could have done basketball wise. It was his weight that helped him.

2) On the court Efe plays below the rim and the lost weight didn't help. If you are going to do that at the center position then you better be a great shooter, passer, defender etc.. otherwise you can't possibly be the answer on a team that wants to make a deep run.

Onyema is a rim runner. That's what we are seeing in the NCAA tourney. If he leaves we will be losing a good one just because of sheer stubbornness on Terry's part. If Terry can't do it then he needs to hire somebody that can teach him and our other bigs to play.

Efe is a real smart kid. It's a testament to him that he stuck with Terry and UTEP for as long as he did. A couple of things though:

1) Terry never lauded Efe on the court (despite his high usage and efficiency his freshman year). Terry immediately overrecruited at the center position and pushed out Ezeagu. He actually told the media that Efe wouldn't have played otherwise. He must have convinced Efe to lose weight and try and compete for the job, but that was the worst thing he could have done basketball wise. It was his weight that helped him.

2) On the court Efe plays below the rim and the lost weight didn't help. If you are going to do that at the center position then you better be a great shooter, passer, defender etc.. otherwise you can't possibly be the answer on a team that wants to make a deep run.

Onyema is a rim runner. That's what we are seeing in the NCAA tourney. If he leaves we will be losing a good one just because of sheer stubbornness on Terry's part. If Terry can't do it then he needs to hire somebody that can teach him and our other bigs to play.
I credit Odigie for his work and dedication to reshape his body, and also for sticking it out for three years. His efforts to lean up were in the hope of gaining mobility and better endurance. As a freshman, he could barely make it up the court a few times without being gassed. Unfortunately, although he was able to improve his conditioning, he couldn't overcome his lack of athleticism. To say he was a liability on defense is an understatement. The reality is that he played behind guys that are simply better options. Once Terry brought in Fisher, the writing on the wall was that Odigie would again be stuck behind another guy. I do hope he lands somewhere he can contribute on the court.

And he got ample playing time. Goes to show, it ain’t just about lack of PT around here.

I know it’s difficult to keep recruits around due to what can only be described as a transfer epidemic, but CRT has an especially tough time keeping kids around it appears. I’m sure he won’t be the last from this squad.

And he got ample playing time. Goes to show, it ain’t just about lack of PT around here.

I know it’s difficult to keep recruits around due to what can only be described as a transfer epidemic, but CRT has an especially tough time keeping kids around it appears. I’m sure he won’t be the last from this squad.
Hess too according to Verbal Commits.

This is an interesting one since Tydus was a starter. I dont think Vila was going to take his spot and it didn't seem that Onyema was in line too either after his lack of playing time.

I do agree that despite his tenacity Tydus was probably a backup center in a better scenario.

Does this mean BW is staying and Terry wants to play 2 PFs with Williams and Fisher up front. More playing time for Onyema as the athletic backup? This does seem to be more along the lines of what Houston is doing size wise.

I think he wants to make the tournament and saw the writing on the wall.

...maybe play for a dec
I think he wants to make the tournament and saw the writing on the wall.
...and maybe wants to play for a decent guy who can actually coach him up. It’s a head scratcher that Verhoeven’s stats, specifically his shot blocking, decreased from his freshman year, where he played in a better conference.

Obviously Verhoeven was never gonna be all-world, but he improved vastly on the offensive end from his soph year to his junior year. I wish him well and don’t blame him for bolting.

...maybe play for a dec

...and maybe wants to play for a decent guy who can actually coach him up. It’s a head scratcher that Verhoeven’s stats, specifically his shot blocking, decreased from his freshman year, where he played in a better conference.

Obviously Verhoeven was never gonna be all-world, but he improved vastly on the offensive end from his soph year to his junior year. I wish him well and don’t blame him for bolting.
This move is surprising to me. I think the playing time would be available. I guess the only thing that makes sense is that Williams returns for one last year, but I had heard that was highly unlikely. Several CUSA teams continue to pickup impact transfers, but not Terry. Next season already had the makings of another very long one.

This move is surprising to me. I think the playing time would be available. I guess the only thing that makes sense is that Williams returns for one last year, but I had heard that was highly unlikely. Several CUSA teams continue to pickup impact transfers, but not Terry. Next season already had the makings of another very long one.
As far as Xs and Os go, I have no faith in CRT’s ability to coach a team up. As far as holding guys accountable for their defensive lapses, and there were so many, I have no faith in the guy. I’ve seen enough to know that his coaching will not be the X factor. At this time, I’m so not looking forward to another year of Terry’s game management. Our only hope for next year is that he somehow assembles the right mix of guys like he did one year at Fresno State. SMH!

I liked Verhoeven's growth and potential, but if Williams inexplicably stays, we're better off with him and Fisher than Tydus/Efe.

Probably doesn't matter either way with our shitty coaching and low standards. Plus who knows who else transfers.

Reactions: utep-piggy
It seems like Tim Floyd never left.
This is an absolute pandemic. I have been in attempted exchanges again with Senter right after Efe quit. He once again instructed me not to email him any more and again informed me that we are living in "today’s world of basketball". Said he can't talk about situations with players or coaches. Said I have no idea what an AD's job entails like does. He said he appreciates my "obeying" him by not continuing my questioning the sad state of affairs at UTEP.
And now we lose Tydus.
Tough to gather any pride or enthusiasm for my school when the current leaders don't care.

Last edited:
This is an absolute pandemic. I have been in attempted exchanges again with Senter right after Efe quit. He once again instructed me not to email him any more and again informed me that we are living in "today’s world of basketball". Said he can't talk about situations with players or coaches. Said I have no idea what an AD's job entails like does. He said he appreciates my "minding" him by not continuing my questioning the sad state of affairs at UTEP.
And now we lose Tydus.
Tough to gather any pride or enthusiasm for my school when the current leaders don't care.
Wow seriously?

This is an absolute pandemic. I have been in attempted exchanges again with Senter right after Efe quit. He once again instructed me not to email him any more and again informed me that we are living in "today’s world of basketball". Said he can't talk about situations with players or coaches. Said I have no idea what an AD's job entails like does. He said he appreciates my "minding" him by not continuing my questioning the sad state of affairs at UTEP.
And now we lose Tydus.

Okay, so Senter is definitely a shitty AD, but it's not his job to answer fan questions about individual transfers.

I hope he's gone, just don't think the nail in the coffin should be his failure to humor a fan, unless you're some powerful booster.

Okay, so Senter is definitely a shitty AD, but it's not his job to answer fan questions about individual transfers.

I hope he's gone, just don't think the nail in the coffin should be his failure to humor a fan, unless you're some powerful booster.
Are you serious? It's much more than questioning players transferring. That's just one piece resulting from the mass failure of Terry's tenure. I am not asking to be humored; I'm asking over and over for at least an acknowledgement that there is a problem and that he intends to try to fix it. I don't have access to the entire list of players who left when he came plus all those that he recruited and then left, but it could be enough to make a complete 13 man roster.
What do you think an AD's job should be?

This is an absolute pandemic. I have been in attempted exchanges again with Senter right after Efe quit. He once again instructed me not to email him any more and again informed me that we are living in "today’s world of basketball". Said he can't talk about situations with players or coaches. Said I have no idea what an AD's job entails like does. He said he appreciates my "obeying" him by not continuing my questioning the sad state of affairs at UTEP.
And now we lose Tydus.

So email heather wilson and voice your discontent with the athletic program

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Are you serious? It's much more than questioning players transferring. That's just one piece resulting from the mass failure of Terry's tenure. I am not asking to be humored; I'm asking over and over for at least an acknowledgement that there is a problem and that he intends to try to fix it. I don't have access to the entire list of players who left when he came plus all those that he recruited and then left, but it could be enough to make a complete 13 man roster.
What do you think an AD's job should be?

To hire coaches and hold them accountable, raise attendance, raise money, etc blah blah, and yes... engage the fan base. But answering a randos questions about transfers on the basketball team: very low on the list.

Despite our disagreement on what kind of answer he owes you and the fans or not... let it be clear... I think he and his coaches have done a horrible job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT