ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
He is a 2019 guard, I believe. Very athletic.

chefd5
‏@stroud_deon
8h8 hours ago

Blessed to receive an offer from Coach Rodney Terry and the UTEP staff. Go Miners!pic.twitter.com/d4vGwkagC5

DYJFo-9VoAA8EtK.jpg

DYJFo-qUQAAcs47.jpg

6:34 PM - 12 Mar 2018

Reactions: miner1liner
It will also be interesting to see what happens to early UTEP signees, Avery Martinez and Teddy Ochieng. I haven't seen anything saying that they decommitted like Norman and Eyman. Certainly, Terry would be familiar with these two guys out of California.

not that it matters only utep player following Terry on Twitter is omega and he is graduating.Paul Thomas dad is following him also. i kinda look at those things. But it doesnt matter i think.

I just hope all current players stay. Let Coach Terry develope them. I think
we have a good base. Let Coach Terry reinforce the team with some Juco's
and transfers.

Go Miners...

Last edited:
Keep Gilyard, McGee, Osborne, Wade,Thomas and Smith. Bring Deshon Taylor as a Grad Transfer. 2 or 3 quality transfers JC or otherwise. 2 or 3 high school kids and we're talking Grits, Bacon and a Buttermilk Biscuit with gravy!

Personally I hope the players stay. I’m sick of the turnover with this program, as I’m sure everyone else is at this point. It’s evident there is talent on this roster and I want to see what these kids can become in the coming years. But we do need big men, and big men who have been taught to be big men. I don’t know how many of those exist in today’s game.

Personally I hope the players stay. I’m sick of the turnover with this program, as I’m sure everyone else is at this point. It’s evident there is talent on this roster and I want to see what these kids can become in the coming years. But we do need big men, and big men who have been taught to be big men. I don’t know how many of those exist in today’s game.

Maybe not many but I watched 6’ 5” Ed Polite, of Radford, snag 12 rebounds last night and go up for a monstrous dunk looking like he was 6’ 8” or 6’ 9”. He also had a 19 rebound game earlier this year. Dude plays way bigger than he is. Hopefully Terry can identify those guys. When was the last time we were a STRONG rebounding team? I can’t even remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: develman
Maybe not many but I watched 6’ 5” Ed Polite, of Radford, snag 12 rebounds last night and go up for a monstrous dunk looking like he was 6’ 8” or 6’ 9”. He also had a 19 rebound game earlier this year. Dude plays way bigger than he is. Hopefully Terry can identify those guys. When was the last time we were a STRONG rebounding team? I can’t even remember.
J Jones at New Mexico State averages 12 rebounds a game. Second in the NCAA. Oh that's right he didn't have the character to play for us

Model student-athlete at New Mexico State. A fan favorite

I was just going to mention the 6'5" Jones. Our last decent rebounding year was 14-15' with Hunter and Lang. We need a rebounding rim protector that can finish. Big men of old are gone....

Like Charles Barkley once said” I have been asked what technique I used to rebound. My technique was go get the dam ball”. 25% is ability. 75% is desire. Obviously Utep needs to get guys who are aggressive and go after it.

Couldn’t agree more.

Terry said they have 5 Scholarships left. Does that mean the commits Floyd had all left . Cause i know 2 left and Rivals still has 2 commits for Utep. So is it 5 or 7?

Terry said they have 5 Scholarships left. Does that mean the commits Floyd had all left . Cause i know 2 left and Rivals still has 2 commits for Utep. So is it 5 or 7?
1.Touchet
2. Thomas
3. Osborne
4. Wade
5. Smith
6. McGee
7. Gilyard
8. Royster

That leaves 5 (or 3 if Martinez and Ochiang are still committed.

Reactions: FiliUTEP
Wonder if Terry goes after Nick Marshall?

Former Memphis signee, four star I think, then went JUCO...Floyd offered him in October

Anyone got thoughts or info on him?

And Royester was/is on campus this school year, but everyone on the roster, and LOI list or Prop 48 is a question until further notice right?

Reactions: axingfools1
Wonder if Terry goes after Nick Marshall?

Former Memphis signee, four star I think, then went JUCO...Floyd offered him in October

Anyone got thoughts or info on him?

And Royester was/is on campus this school year, but everyone on the roster, and LOI list or Prop 48 is a question until further notice right?
We were recruiting him last year. He's a name I was wondering myself of we go back after him. Utep still shows as schools recruiting him. Also Roderick Williams who we had and went back to Los Angeles is still available.

I don't think Marshall ended playing for Motlow State JC this year. His status is very questionable. Also, I highly doubt Roderick Williams would reconsider UTEP. He did have a solid sophomore season at ELAC, and was named league MVP.

I don't think Marshall ended playing for Motlow State JC this year. His status is very questionable. Also, I highly doubt Roderick Williams would reconsider UTEP. He did have a solid sophomore season at ELAC, and was named league MVP.
Might be a different story with Terry at the helm. Could reconsider his destination

Like Charles Barkley once said” I have been asked what technique I used to rebound. My technique was go get the dam ball”. 25% is ability. 75% is desire. Obviously Utep needs to get guys who are aggressive and go after it.
I do not totally agree. The first thing that you should do when the ball goes up is go straight in front of a defender and box him out. Most players do not do that and try and rely on just jumping ability. If a player has boxed you out, you will have to jump over his back to get the ball. Watch the smaller players use TECHNIQUE to overcome great jumping ability.

Reactions: axingfools1
Boxing out is overrated. You just got take a guess where the ball is going to go .

Boxing out is overrated. You just got take a guess where the ball is going to go .

I wouldn’t say boxing out is over rated. You have to be able to read where the ball is going to go if it misses and you have to be able to put yourself in a good position to get the ball once it heads that way. There were a pretty good clip at 0:30 where Rodman was already blocking out PJ Brown when Kukoc was driving to the hole. That right there put him in position to get the offensive board.

Reactions: UTEP Grade
Boxing out is for players that are not athletic enough or to short. Look at Andre Drummond. He just to tall and pretty fast and he just go gets it. Boxing out is taught when you first starting to play basketball. Then you just learn other ways to rebound.

Boxing out is for players that are not athletic enough or to short. Look at Andre Drummond. He just to tall and pretty fast and he just go gets it. Boxing out is taught when you first starting to play basketball. Then you just learn other ways to rebound.
Thanks for the info PT

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT