ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry to UT?

Maximus Miner

Rookie
Jul 1, 2005
Will Terry really be an assistant to Coach Beard at Texas? Lot of rumors that this may happen. Wow! A lot Miner fans will be jubilated if this actually goes through. On the other hand it would mean possibly more players transferring out and the rebuild process would star all over,

Will Terry really be an assistant to Coach Beard at Texas? Lot of rumors that this may happen. Wow! A lot Miner fans will be jubilated if this actually goes through. On the other hand it would mean possibly more players transferring out and the rebuild process would star all over,
No evidence that a rebuild was ever in process

You’re always rebuilding when you recruit very little high school players.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Seriously, someone make the case for why Beard would hire Terry, because I don’t see one.

Reactions: miner1liner
Seriously, someone make the case for why Beard would hire Terry, because I don’t see one.
Terry’s Texas/Beard connections Kappy said on twitter they are close, Terry recruits the state well to be honest and has landed transfers (albeit the obvious lack of results) and Bryson Williams could be a package deal.

Yeah, it’d only be for recruiting not for coaching.
When he can put all his effort into recruiting, he’s probably a pretty good recruiter. Better recruiter than coach anyway. Bad coach. I don’t even think he’s a mediocre coach. Any success he has is due to his players because he does land some decent recruits. He just doesn’t know how to coach (em).

If he and UT want each other, I’m all for that merger. But like HFK said, I’m just waiting for the “April Fools!”. It ain’t gon happen.

Last edited:
Maybe CRT feels the hot seat, knows his coaching-ability is sub-par and can learn under Beard, probably will be paid more, and will have a hell of a lot easier time recruiting ATX and name dropping Durant, Aldridge, Ford, and more.
Ohhhh and they’re gonna have a new arena!

Maybe CRT feels the hot seat, knows his coaching-ability is sub-par and can learn under Beard, probably will be paid more, and will have a hell of a lot easier time recruiting ATX and name dropping Durant, Aldridge, Ford, and more.
Ohhhh and they’re gonna have a new arena!
That’s the hope broseph! Like someone else said...please let it be true.

Reactions: TxRdKiller

I know that this has been answered, but it can't be overstated just how great of a recruiter that Terry was at Texas. While on the Longhorn staff he recruited Kevin Durant, LaMarcus Aldridge, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Avery Bradley, and others. Beard doesn't need him for Xs and Os or player development, but he certainly can use his ability to recruit.

It's also not like Ogden has a much better record than Terry.

Hearing from multiple folks that we will all find out today if this is really happening or not....could come from anywhere, but I think the Austin media will break it first if it happens or doesn't.

It's a good bet that the Austin media will break it first if it does happen. To many members of the local media (I'm looking at you El Paso Times) only report on the information that UTEP provides them.

Austin is a beautiful city. Terry and his skinny jeans will fit right in. I hope we aren't waiting on Terry to make his decision. If we are maybe we can help him make the decision easier for him. 😉
Right! But seriously though this could be the buyout that we need. Its just too bad Senter would still be there to make the next hire.

I dont think Terry is leaving.

Austin is getting crowed and now bitchin' is spilling over. The median home price is about $800,000.

TAMU R.E. is reporting EP median home price at (rounding up) $178,000 and going up. I come in at $183-185 and climbing fast as well (very low inventory) but I digress.

For comparison here is Barbee quick stats:

"Tony Barbee, a former Auburn head coach, joined Calipari's staff two years ago and was promoted to a full assistant coach before last season. His new two-year deal is worth $400,000 per season, a $25,000 raise from last season"

CRT will get way more.

Home prices attract good resumes to EP along with no state income tax. Will Barbee be open to it? Will Senter entertain it at least?

At this point we don't have to buyout Senter. Just send him home until summer.

This could be exciting. A new AD and a new basketball coach.

I think he will take the job. He's good friends with Beard and he's about to build a basketball powerhouse in Austin. I think Terry's gf lives in Houston so it would be much easier to visit with her. He has to know that if he stays he will become UTEP’S most hated basketball coach ever.

Actually this would be the best time to hire a new coach do to the pendibg new transfer rule and regaining the COVID year of eligibility. We would just need a coach who could bring in immediate help and try to retain our better players.

Are you sure this is not some April’s fools crap?

A reporter would not report this. Only companies can get away with it if it’s something ridiculous. This country is filled with whiny people who get chapped easily, you can’t report “fake news” anymore.

I'm listening to Beard on the Horn right now. See if I can pick up anything interesting.

If the basketball thing doesn't work out he can always stay in Austin and become a politician. Man can this guys say all the right things.

If Terry’s true intent is to remain the head coach at UTEP, why hasn’t he publicly denied the validity of the the UT Austin rumors ?

You have to believe Senter is on his knees this morning praying Terry leaves UTEP to absolve himself of next year’s basketball disaster.

Last edited:
Actually this would be the best time to hire a new coach do to the pendibg new transfer rule and regaining the COVID year of eligibility. We would just need a coach who could bring in immediate help and try to retain our better players.
The issue is the guy selecting. There is no way Wilson will make the decision on her own. She would have to fire/replace Senter before the hiring takes place. Senter is the AD right now, and it is his job to the make the selection, unfortunately.

Reactions: TxRdKiller

If Terry’s true intent is to remain the head coach at UTEP, why hasn’t he publicly denied the validity of the the UT Austin rumors ?
Maybe it’s still in the works. Nothing to confirm or deny at this point.

The issue is the guy selecting. There is no way Wilson will make the decision on her own. She would have to fire/replace Senter before the hiring takes place. Senter is the AD right now, and it is his job to the make the selection, unfortunately.
Unless Wilson relieves him of that duty, knowing he’s about out the door.

Yes I agree

Reactions: miner1liner
Every year always something .... our athletics will always be a stepping stone now and that sucks ...
That’s part of the allure of a CBG, or “maybe” even a Barbee. They’ve both moved around in the game enough to maybe want to root somewhere.

Maybe the retread isn’t a great idea, but for me that’s the allure of an older guy who has had success. They’re more likely to stay put for some time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT