ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry to UT?

I would guess that UT would need to pay Terry at least what he is making at UTEP to leave. If this is the case, it is kind of sad that Assistant coaches at the Power 5 schools make more than Head Coaches at the non money schools.

I just don't see how UTEP athletics can compete if they are unable to pay for coaching talent.
Terry is the highest paid coach in CUSA correct? How about we find somebody that knows HOW to coach basketball first.

First report that RT has made a decision

I have not read through the 5 pages of this thread but through my sources, today is the day that Rodney will decide. He has the offer in hand from UT. It is hard to imagine him passing up being an assistant at UT again but we will see. There is a decent D1 coach lighting up Senter's phone who has a connection to the area that really wants the job. I think we would be in good hands if he takes over, especially for recruiting.

I have no read through the 5 pages of this thread but through my sources, today is the day that Rodney will decide. He has the offer in hand from UT. It is hard to imagine him passing up being an assistant at UT again but we will see. There is a decent D1 coach lighting up Senter's phone who has a connection to the area that really wants the job. I think we would be in good hands if he takes over, especially for recruiting.

I just saw the Horn 247 article, so seems like he made his decision early this morning.

I have not read through the 5 pages of this thread but through my sources, today is the day that Rodney will decide. He has the offer in hand from UT. It is hard to imagine him passing up being an assistant at UT again but we will see. There is a decent D1 coach lighting up Senter's phone who has a connection to the area that really wants the job. I think we would be in good hands if he takes over, especially for recruiting.
Former NMSU coach? Sadler, Barbee, Billy G?

Reactions: FarWestTexas

Don't want Menzes....especially if we can get Jans. He makes a lot less than Rodney did.

You have no clue....Menzes has been calling since last week.

Says the guy that touted Vuk’s signing.

All I heard on this board was how much Menzies and Jans suck and they only win because they coach against WAC teams. Now they’re good enough to coach at UTEP.

What lesson would that be? The only “bad” thing about Terry leaving is dummy Senter gets to hire another coach.

How about avoid hiring a coach with a mediocre record against D1 competition.
Quit giving undeserving coaches long contracts with guaranteed $.
Quit hiring poor Xs and Os coaches!

Last edited:
Great news. Let’s hope Senter has learned a lesson.

Good buy Coach Terry.

I hope he is smart enough to know he is not HC material. This is program #2 he has left high and dry. He is a Gary Nord, good recruiter with an eye for good talent and most respectfully, that's it.

What really sucks is we can say buy to Ze'rik Onyema. This young man is going to be a future beast in the paint and some coach will bring him to his full potential, it just will probably not be at UTEP.

Says the guy that touted Vuk’s signing.

All I heard on this board was how much Menzies and Jans suck and they only win because they coach against WAC teams. Now they’re good enough to coach at UTEP.
Isn't it a little weird how Menzies and Weir weren't able to produce the same results from their wac days in the mw? Are we wrong for saying they benefited from a weak wac schedule?

If I had to choose between Billy G., Sadler and Barbee I’d take Barbee. Neither of the three is my personal favorite though.
Especially if he could sway some of those kids who don’t make the cut at Kentucky to come to utep...kids he’s built a relationship with who he’s spent time recruiting. Kinda like he did when he left Memphis.

Isn't it a little weird how Menzies and Weir weren't able to produce the same results from their wac days in the mw? Are we wrong for saying they benefited from a weak wac schedule?
Maybe. Just funny that UTEP fans would be “salivating” over ex-NMSU and current NMSU coaches.

I wouldn’t mind Barbee. But I think we need to go back to what has worked in the past and bring in a top assistant coach from a big school.
I'm so disgusted with Terry right now I can spit on a puppy.

I can't wrap my head around a BG, Barbee or Menzies to fill the role right now.

Now for shits and giggles, if rumors were verified that McCasland wanted to come to UTEP I would for sure be out landscaping his new front yard or washing his new contract luxury automobile for free and on a Sunday, too.

But right now, Rodney Terry, thanks for the underachieving, leaving a mess and....

tenor.gif

Must be Marvin Menzies

So first and foremost, GODD RIDDANCE RODNEY TERRY!!! Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

But I do feel sorry for his assistant coaches, who are now left high and dry, looking for work elsewhere. Perhaps our new coach will retain one of them, but I doubt it.
They can go too. Clean start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT