ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches better than Rodney Terry thread

That's what I'm saying we don't have the patience. Sure maybe he does it in under four years but what if he doesn't. We're just going to fire every coach that doesn't have an ncaa tournament or conference title by year 2-3?
We’re in such a drought that our thirst is immediate. How much longer can we go without water?

Dramatic? Maybe. But most of us can hardly stand the dry mouth. You’re right. We ARE an impatient bunch at this time.

We’re in such a drought that our thirst is immediate. How much longer can we go without water?

Dramatic? Maybe. But most of us can hardly stand the dry mouth. You’re right. We ARE an impatient bunch at this time.
I agree and that's why I loved the Sanchez to Charlotte hire. So we can see and compare in real time that not every hot young assistant will immediately turn things around. Some will but for every success story I bet there's 10 failures.

They don’t have to make the dance, but at least have a chance. When was the last time any of us actually believed we were going to the tournament?
I would probably say around year 5 of TF era. He had that good team that was upset by MTSU in the conference tournament. We didn't have an at large but I think that was Floyd's best chance to win the autobid.

Reactions: Lil_Train
That's what I'm saying we don't have the patience. Sure maybe he does it in under four years but what if he doesn't. We're just going to fire every coach that doesn't have an ncaa tournament or conference title by year 2-3?

Its not just about making the NCAA tournament. If Terry won the league every other year, at least we’re in the NIT. He hasn’t come close to any championship or NIT/NCAA berth.

No you don’t fire a coach after 3 years of no championships, but you can kind of tell how things are going by then. He was 9-12 vs D1 teams this year.

How many years does a coach “deserve” here at UTEP? I don’t think asking for a NCAA Tournament “capable” team once every 4 years is too much to ask. It’s been 11 years since we last went and maybe 2 of the 11 were “good” teams.

Before that 2018 Final Four, Loyola hadn’t been to the tournament in 33 years. Do you think their fans will be “okay” with going 33 years between appearances now? They’re not going to give their next coach 8 years for a conference title or NCAA berth.

Once UTEP goes 20 years without an NCAA appearance, we’re just another team like Rice and UTSA. I don’t want to be like Rice and UTSA basketball.

Its not just about making the NCAA tournament. If Terry won the league every other year, at least we’re in the NIT. He hasn’t come close to any championship or NIT/NCAA berth.

No you don’t fire a coach after 3 years of no championships, but you can kind of tell how things are going by then. He was 9-12 vs D1 teams this year.

How many years does a coach “deserve” here at UTEP? I don’t think asking for a NCAA Tournament “capable” team once every 4 years is too much to ask. It’s been 11 years since we last went and maybe 2 of the 11 were “good” teams.
The UTEP basketball I know isn't what you guys grew up with. Over the last 30 years we are averaging an ncaa appearance every 8 years. And have won 3 regular season conference titles. And the autobid only once. But you guys want Terry to have already won two regular season titles by now?

I want us to hire the next Gillespie and be in the ncaa in year 2 but I'm also realistic. We're not as good as we think we are. We should be but the results say otherwise.

The UTEP basketball I know isn't what you guys grew up with. Over the last 30 years we are averaging an ncaa appearance every 8 years. And have won 3 regular season conference titles. And the autobid only once. But you guys want Terry to have already won two regular season titles by now?

I want us to hire the next Gillespie and be in the ncaa in year 2 but I'm also realistic. We're not as good as we think we are. We should be but the results say otherwise.

Nobody is saying Terry should be a 2x CUSA champion at this point, but you have to take standards and expectations into consideration. I am not talking about 66, the 80s, or 1992 either.

I am talking about the stature and salary of coach Terry. He was moderately successful at Fresno and not a first time coach. He is getting paid rather well, especially for UTEP/CUSA standards. If we had hired Chris Ogden, expectations for him would have been different. He would have had a lower salary and it would have been his first coaching job.

Results would have been acceptable under Ogden giving his stature. They are not for Rodney Terry. UTEP could be achieving the same results or better, for a lesser price. If Coach K came here tomorrow, his expectations would be different than an assistant from Arizona St.

If an assistant like Billy Gillespie, Doc Sadler, and Tony Barbee can take UTEP to a NCAA tournament - for less money and against better competition, an experienced, higher paid coach like Terry should be able to do the same.

Nobody is saying Terry should be a 2x CUSA champion at this point, but you have to take standards and expectations into consideration. I am not talking about 66, the 80s, or 1992 either.

I am talking about the stature and salary of coach Terry. He was moderately successful at Fresno and not a first time coach. He is getting paid rather well, especially for UTEP/CUSA standards. If we had hired Chris Ogden, expectations for him would have been different. He would have had a lower salary and it would have been his first coaching job.

Results would have been acceptable under Ogden giving his stature. They are not for Rodney Terry. UTEP could be achieving the same results or better, for a lesser price. If Coach K came here tomorrow, his expectations would be different than an assistant from Arizona St.

If an assistant like Billy Gillespie, Doc Sadler, and Tony Barbee can take UTEP to a NCAA tournament - for less money and against better competition, an experienced, higher paid coach like Terry should be able to do the same.
Well said.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

Sounds good but my expectations for Terry were teams that struggle to get to .500 and maybe by year 5 or 6 we get a good season and make the NIT or NCAA. Up to this point he has delivered exactly what he showed he could do.

Sounds good but my expectations for Terry were teams that struggle to get to .500 and maybe by year 5 or 6 we get a good season and make the NIT or NCAA. Up to this point he has delivered exactly what he showed he could do.

Your expectation for the highest paid UTEP coach ever, was worse results than Gillespie, Sadler, and Barbee?

Your expectation for the highest paid UTEP coach ever, was worse results than Gillespie, Sadler, and Barbee?
My expectations were what he showed he could do at his previous job. If Dimel had been hired at 1.5 million dollars a year does that mean we should have won cusa by year 2 cuz we have the highest paid coach? His salary was determined by a clueless AD. I don't put too much stock into his salary.

My expectations were what he showed he could do at his previous job. If Dimel had been hired at 1.5 million dollars a year does that mean we should have won cusa by year 2 cuz we have the highest paid coach? His salary was determined by a clueless AD. I don't put too much stock into his salary.

If Dimel was hired at 1.5, I expect him to perform at a level of a 1.5 coach. Your boss doesn’t give out high salaries to outside hires so they can perform like the average lower level workers.

If Dimel was hired at 1.5, I expect him to perform at a level of a 1.5 coach. Your boss doesn’t give out high salaries to outside hires so they can perform like the average lower level workers.
While that should be the expectation, I think what Corona is saying is just because Terry makes the money he does, it obviously doesn’t guarantee success. Rather what is more telling than the money he makes, is how he’s done in the past. I say true dat. We just have a dumbass for an AD who doesn’t require his coaches to perform.

While that should be the expectation, I think what Corona is saying is just because Terry makes the money he does, it obviously doesn’t guarantee success. Rather what is more telling than the money he makes, is how he’s done in the past. I say true dat. We just have a dumbass for an AD who doesn’t require his coaches to perform.

Nothing is guaranteed. However, you don’t pay someone $750k and then be okay with him performing the same as someone making $300,000. If you want $300,000 results, hire someone for $300,000 and not $750,000.

You wouldn’t pay a Lamborghini price for a car with a Ford Mustang under the hood. You would just buy a Ford Mustang.

At the end of the day of the day if Senter was a good AD he would have hired Terry at 2 million for 4 years and Nowins wouldn't be so upset over the results.

Nothing is guaranteed. However, you don’t pay someone $750k and then be okay with him performing the same as someone making $300,000. If you want $300,000 results, hire someone for $300,000 and not $750,000.

You wouldn’t pay a Lamborghini price for a car with a Ford Mustang under the hood. You would just buy a Ford Mustang.
You’re right. I don’t, but Senter does. That is not a surprise anymore. That is the reality. If I understand him correctly, Corona is just saying, and I think he’s right, CRT’s coaching history is more indicative of his ability than his current pay. You can’t argue with that. In an ideal world, he should be earning his paycheck but he isn’t. He’s incapable, and we shouldn’t be surprised about it at this point.

You’re right. I don’t, but Senter does. That is not a surprise anymore. That is the reality. If I understand him correctly, Corona is just saying, and I think he’s right, CRT’s coaching history is more indicative of his ability than his current pay. You can’t argue with that. In an ideal world, he should be earning his paycheck but he isn’t. He’s incapable, and we shouldn’t be surprised about it at this point.

I sorta-kinda get what you and Mr. Corona are saying but I agree with NW1992. Terry is getting paid over 700k per year. He should be performing at that level or above. That's all there is to it. He was not hired to "do your best 350k level if that's as good as you are" for 700k. He was hired to perform at or above 700k level.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I sorta-kinda get what you and Mr. Corona are saying but I agree with NW1992. Terry is getting paid over 700k per year. He should be performing at that level or above. That's all there is to it. He was not hired to "do your best 350k level if that's as good as you are" for 700k. He was hired to perform at or above 700k level.
I am very aware of that. First and foremost, CRT shouldn’t have been paid that much. That is the original problem. Now with that said, most of us were well aware that CRT was a career .500 coach before he got here. A higher paycheck wasn’t going to make him coach any better. So the issue is that Senter overpaid for the average results we knew he had produced over his career as a head coach.

Of course we’d all like 700K results. But the writing was always on the wall that we probably weren’t going to get them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT