ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches gone?

1KiddMiner

Rookie
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
According to Brett in his time's article, CDD said he wants to ensure the coaches have new jobs before he announces departures.....

Who could it be????

I have heard a rumbling about Cox. His son also chose to sign with Idaho, instead of staying in El Paso and signing with UTEP.

Canales twitter specific recruiting account(the bag) has not had a tweet since 9/6/19. We can only hope that he is on his way out also.

In reading that same article, it is frustrating to see both an offensive and a defensive player both talking about how the players were not getting the same signals and they were running different plays. That is 100% on poor coaching, especially at the end of two seasons and after two full spring balls. That has been my biggest disapointment with Dimel so far, is the lack of overall organization and discipline when you watch us play. When you add up just the final two games; we had multiple pre-snap penalties, we had multiple delay of game penalties, we had multiple personal foul penalties, and we had to burn multiple time-outs because we couldn’t get our call/personnel in. That is a reflection of poor coaching.

I have heard a rumbling about Cox. His son also chose to sign with Idaho, instead of staying in El Paso and signing with UTEP.

Canales twitter specific recruiting account(the bag) has not had a tweet since 9/6/19. We can only hope that he is on his way out also.

In reading that same article, it is frustrating to see both an offensive and a defensive player both talking about how the players were not getting the same signals and they were running different plays. That is 100% on poor coaching, especially at the end of two seasons and after two full spring balls. That has been my biggest disapointment with Dimel so far, is the lack of overall organization and discipline when you watch us play. When you add up just the final two games; we had multiple pre-snap penalties, we had multiple delay of game penalties, we had multiple personal foul penalties, and we had to burn multiple time-outs because we couldn’t get our call/personnel in. That is a reflection of poor coaching.

If they can’t communicate properly that’s 100% on the coaches and it’s unacceptable. This team can’t even handle the simple things like getting the correct play call in, and it’s been 2 years.

Last edited:
According to Brett in his time's article, CDD said he wants to ensure the coaches have new jobs before he announces departures.....

Who could it be????
How about Dimel just make UTEP winning a priority and stop worrying about making sure everybody is OK. I understand we don't want to burn bridges everywhere, but what if he hires a new coordinator soon. Will he still wait until the old guys have new jobs? Just let them go. It part of being a coach.

I have season tickets and on several occasions I saw the defense scrambling because they couldn’t get the right substitutions on the field.

When these players are talking about miscommunication with the coaches I wonder if they’re talking about when the coaches are signaling in adjustments pre play. On offense they were always stopping to look at the coaches for some hand signals and before they ran the play. If that’s the issue they really need to simplify that system.
BackSpectacularGannet-size_restricted.gif

Don't understand how this coaches with the experience they have have done nothing, nada, crap to be more specific.
I understand the state the football team was in but I have not seen any progress. They all need to go.

Go Miners...

How many times have we seen the linebackers trying to figure where to line up when the ball is hiked.
Why did we continue with a hard count, then stop and look at the sidelines for the actual play. Every team knows not to move until the second look.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Against NMSU, it seemed like on every long run our defense wasn't set and looking at the sideline when the ball was snapped.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Against NMSU, it seemed like on every long run our defense wasn't set and looking at the sideline when the ball was snapped.

Explains why every team that went no huddle had so much success. I can’t remember a team that needed to look over to “daddy” every time pre snap. What information is being communicated in the huddle if they still can’t get the play correct?

i really hope but doubt that our offensive scheme goes bye bye.... its awful as it is now!!
I agree. And It certainly doesn't fit the kid "with the golden arm"...Hardison. It is really tough seeing him operate in Dimel's current offense, but at the same time, I don't anticipate Dimel changing. I would expect him to recruit another JC, and graduate transfer QB. There's no way you can count on just one guy to make through a season with Dimel's offensive scheme; which is another huge drawback of the offense.

Last edited:
I agree. And It certainly doesn't fit the kid "with the golden arm"...Hardison. It is really tough seeing him operate in Dimel's current offense, but at the same time, I don't anticipate Dimel changing. I would expect him to recruit another JC, and graduate transfer QB. There's no way you can count on just one guy to make through a season with Dimel's offensive scheme; which is another huge drawback of the offense.
But....I believe Dimel's eggs are in the basket of Goodwin.

Reactions: Minerforlife
Especially since you can now play 4 and still redshirt... not like we were close to winning anything anyway...

I have season tickets and on several occasions I saw the defense scrambling because they couldn’t get the right substitutions on the field.

When these players are talking about miscommunication with the coaches I wonder if they’re talking about when the coaches are signaling in adjustments pre play. On offense they were always stopping to look at the coaches for some hand signals and before they ran the play. If that’s the issue they really need to simplify that system.
BackSpectacularGannet-size_restricted.gif
David Lee 2.0.

This is scary since Senter is a new AD and unaware due to where he came from:

UTEP stuck to a coaching line, coaching tree, legacy, what floats your boat: Lee, Bailey, Kugler, Nord. They all came from the same line and some success producing two to three NFL players (per coach) but a program reeling. From that coaching tree the best UTEP got was a Humanitarian Bowl and New Mexico Bowl bid (and at that time the school had to pay Boise State for "facility use" if I remember correctly).

Just based on history of Dimel, UTEP needs to be ice cold water to the face realistic. His HC experience is not productive no matter his reasoning, his RPO offense went backwards this year and the defensive side was worse than last year.

Senter needs to ask him if he is bring in someone who can get the job done and is a winner or is it someone he is comfortable with? At first glance it appears Dimel has gone with people he is comfortable with and that is fine but given the circumstances, he needs to reach beyond himself more than his comfort norm allows and something Senter will do because it is right for the program but maybe something out of Dimel's norm.

Last edited:
Explains why every team that went no huddle had so much success. I can’t remember a team that needed to look over to “daddy” every time pre snap. What information is being communicated in the huddle if they still can’t get the play correct?
Many are going to full real time sideline changes. It's the best way to counter LB's and DB's since they can literally run up to the line to spook the qb or drop back to disguise a coverage (but may actually be a delayed blitz). The qb can look over and get an audible. A coach will leave it up to the qb to make the decision if the qb is fantastic like former qb Brent Stockstill at MTSU. UTEP has not had that in a while.

And now UNT has announced OC and DC are gone. Mister nice guy Dimel won’t get around to looking at replacements until some dumbass school is desperate enough to hire our guys. For God’s Sake put the fans and university first, Dimel.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
And now UNT has announced OC and DC are gone. Mister nice guy Dimel won’t get around to looking at replacements until some dumbass school is desperate enough to hire our guys. For God’s Sake put the fans and university first, Dimel.

That's not how its happening. He has informed them, he is looking for replacements, but wont announce it out of respect to the coaches. Doing it behind the scenes.

ODU fired Wilder after 13 loyal years. I liked Wilder. Good coach in a land of unrealistic expectations and illusions of grandeur. Brought them up to FBS with solid talent and competed. God bless those ODU fans; hope they enjoy CUSA football in their new stadium because if they think they are going to a larger conference within a few years they are very mistaken.

ODU fired Wilder after 13 loyal years. I liked Wilder. Good coach in a land of unrealistic expectations and illusions of grandeur. Brought them up to FBS with solid talent and competed. God bless those ODU fans; hope they enjoy CUSA football in their new stadium because if they think they are going to a larger conference within a few years they are very mistaken.
I give it 5. Over under folks, taking bets now!
giphy.gif

You might not like it, but I agree with that decision.

2016 10-3
2017 5-7
2018 4-8
2019 1-11

Doesn’t appear the program is heading in the right direction does it? If any UTEP fan is “upset” at this, that is the reason why UTEP keeps 2-22 coaches.

So Cox is out recruiting?? That is a bit of reversal. Can Dimel possibly get away with bringing back both Coordinators?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT