ADVERTISEMENT

College Basketball News 2021- '22

Milwaukee landed the #5 player in the Nation
PATRICK BALDWIN JR...

but no worries UTEP got a 40% shooter juco......

What's happened to Fili? When and why did he join "The Trolls"? Seems like he used to be one of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikesarabia
No, bitchen about the same thing over and over ( especially when no one can see the future) will get you labeled a troll.

Reactions: Cube Jack
I dont mind bitching about players, coaches or A.D.s after the fact. I will wait and see how the new guys play and how Golding coaches before I bitch about them.

So far Golding has stepped it up slightly in recruiting, but it's certainly nothing to run home about yet. So far.

No, bitchen about the same thing over and over ( especially when no one can see the future) will get you labeled a troll.
What if they’re legitimate? That’s what some of you guess don’t get. I’m not “bitchen” about being ranked #22 and #1. Or that we’re playing in the Cotton Bowl again. UTEP is a bottom level FBS football and basketball school now. If you’re happy with that, then you are the actual “troll”.

What if they’re legitimate? That’s what some of you guess don’t get. I’m not “bitchen” about being ranked #22 and #1. Or that we’re playing in the Cotton Bowl again. UTEP is a bottom level FBS football and basketball school now. If you’re happy with that, then you are the actual “troll”.
Well one could agree with the football obviously, but Basketball has averaged an RPI ranking in the top half of D-1 over the last 10 years. So while Basketball has under achieved to our expectations, you'd be inaccurate to say we are a bottom level Basketball program. Sorry just facts.

Well one could agree with the football obviously, but Basketball has averaged an RPI ranking in the top half of D-1 over the last 10 years. So while Basketball has under achieved to our expectations, you'd be inaccurate to say we are a bottom level Basketball program. Sorry just facts.
Technically UTEP has averaged an RPI of 182 which puts us in the bottom half.

Technically UTEP has averaged an RPI of 182 which puts us in the bottom half.
Just looked it up actually 172 and a little higher if you count 2010. Either way it's not good, but it's not at or near the bottom of the 357 D-1 teams. Terry's tenure definitely brought it down. Believe it or not Floyd had them above 100 most years.

Reactions: axingfools1
Just looked it up actually 172 and a little higher if you count 2010. Either way it's not good, but it's not at or near the bottom of the 357 D-1 teams. Terry's tenure definitely brought it down. Believe it or not Floyd had them above 100 most years.
Could be the site you used. I used this one and it's 182.
https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/info/rpi_rankings/2021

Throw computer rankings away and what's the best thing UTEP has done in the last decade?

Could be the site you used. I used this one and it's 182.
https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/info/rpi_rankings/2021

Throw computer rankings away and what's the best thing UTEP has done in the last decade?
Don't misunderstand, I'm not happy with the state of the program up until now. We've definitely been irrelevant. Just saying to be considered bottom level like No NCAA said, they'd have to at least avg close to around 300 and in the last 10-11 years they have 1 top 50 finish, and 3 top 100 and then of course alot of 200's. You're right though besides the NCAA 2010 there's nothing to show worth a Damn. I'm just happy that Senter seems to have made the right call for our next HC, so we'll see where it goes from here.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not happy with the state of the program up until now. We've definitely been irrelevant. Just saying to be considered bottom level like No NCAA said, they'd have to at least avg close to around 300 and in the last 10-11 years they have 1 top 50 finish, and 3 top 100 and then of course alot of 200's. You're right though besides the NCAA 2010 there's nothing to show worth a Damn. I'm just happy that Senter seems to have made the right call for our next HC, so we'll see where it goes from here.
I agree but let's stick with the last decade as you originally stated. I'm not sure which site you're using but in that time period our best finishes have been 77, 99 and 99.

I don't understand why fans that demand better recruiting and results are labeled as trolls.

I agree but let's stick with the last decade as you originally stated. I'm not sure which site you're using but in that time period our best finishes have been 77, 99 and 99.

I don't understand why fans that demand better recruiting and results are labeled as trolls.
#59 2010-2011 and the year before 2009-2010 42. TeamRankings.com Again you may be mis- understanding my point, which I think I made clear. I'm not happy with how the basketball program has underachieved I also called no one a troll by the way.

#59 2010-2011 and the year before 2009-2010 42. TeamRankings.com Again you may be mis- understanding my point, which I think I made clear. I'm not happy with how the basketball program has underachieved I also called no one a troll by the way.
I went off the original metrics you mentioned. RPI and the last 10 years.

"Basketball has averaged an RPI ranking in the top half of D-1 over the last 10 years."

Once that data proved to no longer serve your purpose you changed it to the last 12 years and used a website's team rankings to try and prove your point.

I'm not saying you called anyone a troll just a trend I've noticed on here.

My question was simply why Fili has posted seemingly nothing but negative posts recently. Most folks have indicated how pleased they are with the Golding hire and his direction for the future. Why Fili
Having a separate opinion from the majority makes one a troll now?
When every opinion is sarcastic, critical and negative while his history (as I recall it) was upbeat and positive. That's why I questioned his sudden attitude change. Golding has signed two new recruits and got Tydus to come back. There are still several schollys left. Where is there any justification for negatively at this early stage.
Fili certainly has every right to an opinion, but there is no justification to giving Golding a failing grade when the whole matter is still in it's infancy.

I went off the original metrics you mentioned. RPI and the last 10 years.

"Basketball has averaged an RPI ranking in the top half of D-1 over the last 10 years."

Once that data proved to no longer serve your purpose you changed it to the last 12 years and used a website's team rankings to try and prove your point.

I'm not saying you called anyone a troll just a trend I've noticed on here.
Without 2009-2010 it's in the 170s I didn't use that one I started 2010-2011 up until 2020-2021 how many years is that? Maybe my math is off, but I think that's 10 years 🤔 I guess if you start 2011/2012 til now it may be 180s Either way not gonna argue over a few points. Point is we have been about a .500 team for the most part and that's not acceptable. I for one am having an open mind to the new hire and am staying positive that it'll get turned around.

Last edited:
Reactions: miner1liner
My question was simply why Fili has posted seemingly nothing but negative posts recently. Most folks have indicated how pleased they are with the Golding hire and his direction for the future. Why Fili
When every opinion is sarcastic, critical and negative while his history (as I recall it) was upbeat and positive. That's why I questioned his sudden attitude change. Golding has signed two new recruits and got Tydus to come back. There are still several schollys left. Where is there any justification for negatively at this early stage.
Fili certainly has every right to an opinion, but there is no justification to giving Golding a failing grade when the whole matter is still in it's infancy.
Not sure. I would guess it's because we were under the impression Golding would recruit HS players and coach them up. I thought he would get a few D1 P5 transfers.

I'm at the point where I'm tired of being upbeat over every recruit too. Let's see how they do in a Miner uniform. I'm neutral at the moment.

Without 2009-2010 it's 172, I didn't use that one I started 2010-2011 up until 2020-2021 how many years is that? Maybe my math is off, but I think that's 10 years 🤔
2020-2021 154
2020-2019 193
2019-2018 326
2018-2017 289
2017-2018 219
2017-2016 217
2016-2015 77
2015-2014 99
2014-2013 99
2013-2012 148

1821÷10= 182.1

2020-2021 154
2020-2019 193
2019-2018 326
2018-2017 289
2017-2018 219
2017-2016 217
2016-2015 77
2015-2014 99
2014-2013 99
2013-2012 148

1821÷10= 182.1
Again I originally started 2010/2011 so 181 teams were better than and 175 were worse than. Still closer to middle of the pack of say. Ok I gotta go to work, you can take the win if u want Corona lol Either way we're both not happy with the last 10 or even 25+ years of basketball for that matter as a true Miner Fan!

Last edited:
Again I originally started 2010/2011
Ok man. My point is I used your metrics you originally stated. RPI and 10 years.

The main point is Nowins has been saying for years these results are unacceptable and he was labeled a troll. Fili doesn't get hyped over the recruits and he's a troll too.

I don't care honestly just wanted to point that out to the board.

Most likely I joined the troll list too.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Ok man. My point is I used your metrics you originally stated. RPI and 10 years.

The main point is Nowins has been saying for years these results are unacceptable and he was labeled a troll. Fili doesn't get hyped over the recruits and he's a troll too.

I don't care honestly just wanted to point that out to the board.

Most likely I joined the troll list too.
Fili is entitled to his own opinion, his reasoning is just dumb. If you want to say a recruit sucks, that’s fine. However, he has said stuff like “JC guys suck” and then somehow brings his personal rec league stats into that equation. It’s just ridiculous.

Who wants to be on a board where everyone agrees on everything and everyone thinks the next Golding/Dimel recruit is going to be the next Randy Culpepper/Aaron Jones? I don’t.

Fili is entitled to his own opinion, his reasoning is just dumb. If you want to say a recruit sucks, that’s fine. However, he has said stuff like “JC guys suck” and then somehow brings his personal rec league stats into that equation. It’s just ridiculous.

Who wants to be on a board where everyone agrees on everything and everyone thinks the next Golding/Dimel recruit is going to be the next Randy Culpepper/Aaron Jones? I don’t.
Fili is a contrarian. I don't think he believes half the things he posts, but he posts them to get good conversations started.

That being said, is Fili's name a reference to Fili Rivera, a very excellent JC transfer? If so, why is he ridiculing juco transfers now when his name is a reference to one?

Fili is a contrarian. I don't think he believes half the things he posts, but he posts them to get good conversations started.

That being said, is Fili's name a reference to Fili Rivera, a very excellent JC transfer? If so, why is he ridiculing juco transfers now when his name is a reference to one?

I seriously doubt Fili puts that much thought into simply trying to get good convo going. 🤷‍♂️

Got it. All the bitching about Senter makes one a troll then.
Senter has a record with UTEP. Gives us plenty to complain about. Golding and his new recruits don’t have a record yet. If they come in here and suck, then we can bitch. Give them a chance to prove themselves.

The cupboard isn't completely dry like when Gillespie or Barbee took over. With what's coming back already this team should be .500 With some more pieces they should sniff 20 wins year one. There are 4 starters all with plenty of D-1 experience.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Senter has a record with UTEP. Gives us plenty to complain about. Golding and his new recruits don’t have a record yet. If they come in here and suck, then we can bitch. Give them a chance to prove themselves.
I rather they prove themselves first. For years I've read how such and such recruit is a stud or good or cheerful positive responses. We've seen the results the last decade. People are allowed to bitch the same way you are allowed to be excited without having seen them play in a Miner uniform.

I rather they prove themselves first. For years I've read how such and such recruit is a stud or good or cheerful positive responses. We've seen the results the last decade. People are allowed to bitch the same way you are allowed to be excited without having seen them play in a Miner uniform.
I believe our last two Basketball coaches have done a poor job with the recruits once they got to UTEP be them 2 stars or 4 stars. They just failed to "coach them up".

Filiberto Rivera was a 4 star recruit . Wasnt he juco player of the year??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT