ADVERTISEMENT

College Basketball News 2021- '22

I wasn't aware that student athletes could sign 'endorsement' deals linked to certain schools or certain types of schools. Hopefully the NCAA had set a hard line, otherwise some athletes are going to get hurt and there is going to be even more cheating. This was not the intention of the rule.

While I agree college athletes have been exploited financially by NCAA and athletic programs will this remedy the situation? Big money always draws the unscrupulous who will attempt to exploit anyone and anything for a profit. What is there to keep a star athlete from shaking down a rich booster for a little "investment" in his t-shirt business on the promise he won't transfer next season? Next step strip college athletics of tax exempt status, they clearly are for profit anyway you look at it.

Last edited:
If Leeser owns one of the highest selling Hyundai dealerships in the country and was able to get Hyundai to sponsor the Sun Bowl for a few years, as he claims, then can he help out UTEP by giving Deion Hankins or Praise Amaewhule an endorsement deal to keep them in a Miner uniform, should they both have great seasons? Or can Leeser's Huyndai be part of a nice sponsorship package to keep KJ Lewis in town? Leeser single handedly sponsored the Thanksgiving parade.

Aside from Leeser, I am not sure how many other big business are located in El Paso and could be major sponsorship partners? UTEP's biggest sponsors appear to be organizations like GECU. The biggest employers of the city are mostly either government or not headquartered here, which would make high dollar sponsorships harder to obtain.
Ummm.... Not sure how many other's? Leeser is a small fish compared to the Fosters and the Hunts as an example.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
what to me is going to be interesting is ….. how will all these deals and money making effect the kids that aren’t gonna get anything? Bench players …. How is that going to effect team chemistry? You know you always have those idiots that like to show off what they got… that could create some interesting story lines between teams

While I agree college athletes have been exploited financially by NCAA and athletic programs will this remedy the situation? Big money always draws the unscrupulous who will attempt to exploit anyone and anything for a profit. What is there to keep a star athlete from shaking down a rich booster for a little "investment" in his t-shirt business on the promise he won't transfer next season? Next step strip college athletics of tax exempt status, they clearly are for profit anyway you look at it.
I really think if you get an endorsement you should not get a scholarship… but that’s just my opinion… you should have to pay your way …. There are sooo many students that actually want a good education that could benefit from those scholarships

Reactions: kickballpro
Next step strip college athletics of tax exempt status, they clearly are for profit anyway you look at it.
The revenue sports were used to fund the non-revenue sports. Many (most) athletic departments are NOT making a profit. Is UTEP's track & field a net money-maker? Most schools use their money from the revenue sports to give opportunities to student-athletes in the non-revenue sports, many of them women, to use their talents to earn a college degree.

People who have no interest in pursuing a college degree really shouldn't be enrolled in college.

Twitter account of Rocco Miller of bracketeer.org says Sam Houston State will be in the Sun Carnival basketball tournament hosted by UTEP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT