ADVERTISEMENT

Collosal collapse

Starting to wonder if they deserve the CBI. We can’t keep saying we have the talent, and then play non winning ball.

Reactions: topminer
Zero awareness, mental toughness. Two games in a row they fail to foul/get a shot off as time expires.

Doesnt matter anyway. This is a CBI team currently, whose entire season comes down to one week in March. The rest of the season is just unnecessary frustration.
Well said. +2

I looked back a couple weeks and can’t find the quote anywhere, but I think it was jcorona who had a very cryptic prophesy, whether on purpose or not. It was right before we went off to Hawai’i.

The quote went something to the effect of, “We’re 10-2 with wins against two long time rivals in UNM and NMSU. We’re so far beyond where we were last year yet it feels as if the wheels are about to come off the bus at any time”. Does anyone else remember that? Was that you corona?

I looked back a couple weeks and can’t find the quote anywhere, but I think it was jcorona who had a very cryptic prophesy, whether on purpose or not. It was right before we went off to Hawai’i.

The quote went something to the effect of, “We’re 10-2 with wins against two long time rivals in UNM and NMSU. We’re so far beyond where we were last year yet it feels as if the wheels are about to come off the bus at any time”. Does anyone else remember that? Was that you corona?
Yup I remember the comment, but not the commenter.
Regarding the collasal collapse. We don't have a player that "wants" the ball at crunch time. It's a hot potato.

Yup I remember the comment, but not the commenter.
Regarding the collasal collapse. We don't have a player that "wants" the ball at crunch time. It's a hot potato.
Williams wants the ball at crunch time, but this is not optimal as an interior player. You need to have a guard in that role because the ball is in their hands. Many of us thought that would be a problem, but not to this extent. I'm my opinion, Terry will need to add some pieces because the coaching to this point has not worked.

Reactions: miner1liner
Lathon hit some game-winners.

No doubt we lost a good player but you seem to be suggesting, several times now, that UTEP is so much better with him. Maybe because of his family problems, but Lathon was a mere shadow of his former self towards the end of his time here. Also, this happens in sports...losing a player. Not to be a dikk, but you almost sound Floyd like.

Lol are you talking about this one?

Here we are 1/3 of the way in, sitting exactly where we should be, maybe even a game better than odds predicted, and it feels like the dam is getting ready to burst.

Look at this turd Darby trying to defend the losses. FAU and FIU haven’t beat anyone good. Pathetic!

I agree that Darby is a turd, based mostly on his tweets a few years ago about Hunter, for which he should have been fired, but in this case putting a positive spin on things is his job. I have a hard time criticizing someone for doing their job.

No doubt we lost a good player but you seem to be suggesting, several times now, that UTEP is so much better with him. Maybe because of his family problems, but Lathon was a mere shadow of his former self towards the end of his time here. Also, this happens in sports...losing a player. Not to be a dikk, but you almost sound Floyd like.
UTEP sure ain't better without him.

Of course not. He could have said “Tough road swing, we need your support....”

Instead, he’s trying to make FAU and FIU look like world beaters in their home games in front of 500 people.

I didn’t know home attendance was a part of the rankings.

Yep. Was my interpretation close? Did you mean that in a way like “things are going well but feels like the other foot is about to drop”?
You said it better than I meant it. And we talked about it at the utsa game and I think we’re in agreement about Terry. I do want to give him the opportunity to play out the season before going in hard on him. I know it’s not looking good right now but things can still turnaround.

You said it better than I meant it. And we talked about it at the utsa game and I think we’re in agreement about Terry. I do want to give him the opportunity to play out the season before going in hard on him. I know it’s not looking good right now but things can still turnaround.

I’d like nothing better.

Something is going on that we dont know about. Just the whole weirdness of this team's regression, player rotation, player favorites, inconsistent offense, turnovers, Hawkins and Lathon wanting to leave, Terry's interview with the media the other day, etc.

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because we have been in every game. Him being out this week didn't help, but the team didnt seem inspired either. I was positive before these 2 games that we would win one or both. Its gonna be interesting to see what happens over the next few days.

Something is going on that we dont know about. Just the whole weirdness of this team's regression, player rotation, player favorites, inconsistent offense, turnovers, Hawkins and Lathon wanting to leave, Terry's interview with the media the other day, etc.

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because we have been in every game. Him being out this week didn't help, but the team didnt seem inspired either. I was positive before these 2 games that we would win one or both. Its gonna be interesting to see what happens over the next few days.

I agree, wholeheartedly. These guys are not playing near their potential. They are careless, undisciplined and seem to play without heart. This so reminds me of Floyd coached teams. It always seemed like there was something “internally broken” with him at the helm. Turns out, where there was smoke, there was fire. Want to give CRT the benefit of the doubt but I can’t help but “feel” the similarities.

That was so early in his tenure, when we had that discussion. At that point, all I had to go on were his very mediocre results at Fresno State. I saw nothing that was terrible, but nor did I see anything that made me think we had ourselves anything beyond a mediocre coach.

As last season progressed to a certain point I asked myself where I saw improvement. Even by season’s end, I couldn’t identify any meaningful improvement. That was one of my criteria before that season started...to see noticeable improvement, because we didn’t see it all that much during Floyd’s era. As bad as the team was last year, especially in the beginning, there was only one direction to go...and that was up...but somehow we managed to not go up. Not even sure how that can happen.

Then, to borrow a phrase from CTF, I thought I’d give Terry the benefit of the doubt because “the real cavalry was coming”. I liked what I saw on paper, in highlight videos, on player ranking lists, etc. I thought perhaps Terry really didn’t have much to work with last year and I needed to give him the opportunity to prove himself with a roster full of talent.

Fast forward to today. We have a team that is underachieving, and that’s putting it mildly. The controllables are not being controlled. Most of our turnovers are unforced. There is no evident fire in these guys’ bellies. Player substitution/rotation is beyond confounding. Player favoritism is apparent even to a blind man. We almost had 4 player defections in the first 1/3 of a season. Either Terry can’t coach these guys up OR he’s not as good of a recruiter as we’ve given him credit for. The team unity seems as absent as it is in our political threads on this forum. Most of these are coaching issues in my experience.

I hate to be the guy who says he was early to recognize the Floyd issues. But I was. This reminds me of Floyd era bb. I hope to hell i’m wrong because it’ll be another ****ing rebuild...another start over if I’m sensing correctly.

The other day I said I was dropping any expectations I had for this team. I meant it. But I’m finding that to be an impossible pursuit. I do have expectations. I expect what I expected last year...which is improvement from day one to the last day of the season. So far, we’ve gone backwards on the continuum.
This thing has the feel of unraveling. Overreaction? Maybe. I don’t think so, though. This is why your statement about the dam about to break stuck out in my mind. I was already feeling what you put into words and I didn’t want to believe it. Now I have no choice. Yes, there is still the possibility that this team comes together. Great stories are made from teams like this turning it all around. I hope the ship can still be righted.

Sorry for the novel. Just needed a cathartic moment...or ten.

I think what’s going on is that Terry is a .500 coach.

That’s exactly what we are seeing. A team that will go .500 against D1 teams.

Edit: this wasn’t a response to the comment above. We just posted at the same time.

That was so early in his tenure, when we had that discussion. At that point, all I had to go on were his very mediocre results at Fresno State. I saw nothing that was terrible, but nor did I see anything that made me think we had ourselves anything beyond a mediocre coach.

As last season progressed to a certain point I asked myself where I saw improvement. Even by season’s end, I couldn’t identify any meaningful improvement. That was one of my criteria before that season started...to see noticeable improvement, because we didn’t see it all that much during Floyd’s era. As bad as the team was last year, especially in the beginning, there was only one direction to go...and that was up...but somehow we managed to not go up. Not even sure how that can happen.

Then, to borrow a phrase from CTF, I thought I’d give Terry the benefit of the doubt because “the real cavalry was coming”. I liked what I saw on paper, in highlight videos, on player ranking lists, etc. I thought perhaps Terry really didn’t have much to work with last year and I needed to give him the opportunity to prove himself with a roster full of talent.

Fast forward to today. We have a team that is underachieving, and that’s putting it mildly. The controllables are not being controlled. Most of our turnovers are unforced. There is no evident fire in these guys’ bellies. Player substitution/rotation is beyond confounding. Player favoritism is apparent even to a blind man. We almost had 4 player defections in the first 1/3 of a season. Either Terry can’t coach these guys up OR he’s not as good of a recruiter as we’ve given him credit for. The team unity seems as absent as it is in our political threads on this forum. Most of these are coaching issues in my experience.

I hate to be the guy who says he was early to recognize the Floyd issues. But I was. This reminds me of Floyd era bb. I hope to hell i’m wrong because it’ll be another ****ing rebuild...another start over if I’m sensing correctly.

The other day I said I was dropping any expectations I had for this team. I meant it. But I’m finding that to be an impossible pursuit. I do have expectations. I expect what I expected last year...which is improvement from day one to the last day of the season. So far, we’ve gone backwards on the continuum.
This thing has the feel of unraveling. Overreaction? Maybe. I don’t think so, though. This is why your statement about the dam about to break stuck out in my mind. I was already feeling what you put into words and I didn’t want to believe it. Now I have no choice. Yes, there is still the possibility that this team comes together. Great stories are made from teams like this turning it all around. I hope the ship can still be righted.

Sorry for the novel. Just needed a cathartic moment...or ten.
Your comment about the team coming together is precisely the deal. Question is why are they apart? What is going on in the locker room? Where or who is the cancer? Basically every aspect of this team is a monumental flop. Now; even BW seems to be losing it. We all question so many different aspects of the season with no answers. Why this; why that. There were even more questions after today's surrender (reminds me of the Nazis marching down through Paris amidst the waving white flags). It was such a horrid finish the coach wouldn't even show for the post game. Teicher seemed a bit stunned and lost for words so he simply signed off.

We can't give up yet. This players are going to need our support. On the upcoming home games.
Let's get out there and make them feel at home.

Go Miners...

Reactions: mikesarabia
We can't give up yet. This players are going to need our support. On thr upvoming home games.

Go Miners...

Season's over, man. We'll all be here rooting and supporting our guys but we have to be real. Season's over.

Just kidding, ok? I know jokes don't come across very well on the internet...

Reactions: utep2step
We can't give up yet. This players are going to need our support. On the upcoming home games.

Go Miners...

Despite how I feel about the situation, I will be at as many games as I can be at, starting with UTSA. The more support they have, the better. I completely understand those that choose against paying steeper prices to go see them the way they’ve been playing, though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT