ADVERTISEMENT

Comparison to new BB new comers!

minerproud

Rookie
Apr 22, 2014
Hi All,

Just by looking at our new BB recruits, I'm going to compare them to some of our other historic BB players. "This is only my opinion and you can make your own Judgement."
Tirus Smith - Marlon Maxey
Joey St. Pierre - Dave Feitel
Evan Gilyard - Juden Smith
Kobe Magee - Fili Rivera

What do all think?

Well....I'll loosely give you 3 for 4; but Evan Gilyard and Juden Smith...c'mon? Did you see Juden play? He was a 6'-6" about 185 lbs very strong and athletic forward.
Gilyard is a 5'-8 or 9" point guard. ??????

Reactions: MineroFanatico
It is difficult for me to envision either the Maxey or Feitl comparisons, at this point.

If I had to compare Smith to a former player, I would probably go with Sharif Fajardo. I don't see Smith as a Maxey type athlete. He would probably be best served to red shirt, get himself in D1 shape, and backup Thomas next year. I would be very surprised to see him getting minutes ahead of Thomas at this point, and there are other lineups that could be implemented if Thomas were to get into foul trouble. I could potentially see a lineup that includes Willms, Jones, and Rod Williams on the court together. I would like to see Jones make that big jump many guys make from their freshman to sophomore years, which would make it tough to keep him off the court.

In the case of St. Pierre, I think the Lang comparison may be fair. I thought it took Ced a couple of years to be effective, and I think the same for St. Pierre. I think the probability of St. Pierre being red shirted is even higher than Smith based where he is at with his overall development. Unless Willms or Jones were to get injured, I think it is likely that St. Pierre will red shirt this year.

I would like to see Jones make that big jump many guys make from their freshman to sophomore years

I am hoping for a decent jump from Paul Thomas as well. Even though Thomas is going from Soph to Junior, last year was his first real year of getting D1 experience and after getting that full first year under his belt, I am hopeful that he can now take another step forward. He was the Conference Player of the Week at one point last year, which is a very good sign for a first year starter. I also saw him recently and he appears to be getting a little bit bigger as well.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Just by looking at our new BB recruits, I'm going to compare them to some of our other historic BB players. "This is only my opinion and you can make your own Judgement."
Tirus Smith - Marlon Maxey
Joey St. Pierre - Dave Feitel
Evan Gilyard - Juden Smith
Kobe Magee - Fili Rivera

What do all think?

I know you stated it's your opinion, but the only one I might agree with is the Smith and Maxey comparison.

Did you ever see Juden Smith play? In my opinion the best Miner player that I saw play. I did not see any of the players from the 60's or early 70's. Anyway, you are way off base comparing Juden to Gilyard. Nothing against Gilyard, but he is a point guard and should be compared to one.

For the record, I said it before and I'll say it again, Gilyard will be our point guard and will be productive.

Reactions: miner1liner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT