ADVERTISEMENT

Concerned about the offense

Minerforlife

MI Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2013
After a day to reflect about the season I'm very concerned about the offense. We've played five games and offense has only had one good game ULM. The ULM game is the outlier. Outside of the ULM game the running game has been infective outside of the fourth quarters against ACU and SFA.

We have to get much better production out of the offense if we are going to win more games. The stats and excitement over the ULM game really masked the offensive deficiencies we have. Our offensive stats are really padded because we are one of 9 FBS teams playing 12 games this season.

We desperately need a tight end. We haven't had a legit d1 tight end since Plinke. They have to replace Fields carries with Awatt and Eldridge. Running a little up tiempo offense wouldn't hurt. It would certainly help mask some of the deficiencys we have on the o line and it would be a chore for a gassed d-line to try to tackle Hankins.

Outside of the ULM game the offense has been rather anemic. We have a legitimate chance to have a winning season. A winning season will require radical and significant changes to the offense.

After a day to reflect about the season I'm very concerned about the offense. We've played five games and offense has only had one good game ULM. The ULM game is the outlier. Outside of the ULM game the running game has been infective outside of the fourth quarters against ACU and SFA.

We have to get much better production out of the offense if we are going to win more games. The stats and excitement over the ULM game really masked the offensive deficiencies we have. Our offensive stats are really padded because we are one of 9 FBS teams playing 12 games this season.

We desperately need a tight end. We haven't had a legit d1 tight end since Plinke. They have to replace Fields carries with Awatt and Eldridge. Running a little up tiempo offense wouldn't hurt. It would certainly help mask some of the deficiencys we have on the o line and it would be a chore for a gassed d-line to try to tackle Hankins.

Outside of the ULM game the offense has been rather anemic. We have a legitimate chance to have a winning season. A winning season will require radical and significant changes to the offense.
I feel that most everything that you just mentioned goes back to coaching and play-calling. Dimel has clearly brought up the level of talent but play-calling and decision making hasn't been his biggest strength thus far. I don't see it happening but I would like to see Canales take over as play-caller. If this happens maybe Dimel would be able to concentrate more and improve his in-game decision making . One can hope...

Concerned as well, however our offense does have the players who could have a big game or two, which I don't believe we have seen yet. Hardison has shown he can hit the long pass and I don't think he has hit his top yet. Our two WR also have big game potential and all it takes is a monster game by one. At RB we have Hankins and he too has yet to really have a breakout game. In the next few games I suspect we are going to see a breakout somewhere. If we don't well it might mean that we have seen the max potential of our abilities. This team has a lot of new parts and I hope we haven't seen the glass ceiling for them.

The play that sticks out to me the most is the failed fourth and 1 from the 14. It was a pass short of the 1st down. I saw people saying we should have run it up the middle. Isn’t that exactly what everyone is expecting? Had we run it up the middle and gotten stuffed there would be more complains about the lack of creativity in the play calling.

Concerned in the short term for this season...but we are set up pretty good. Cowing and Hardison are Sophmores, Hankins a Freshman. Thompson is a Junior but I still think he needs to be more involved in the passing game or recruit someone who will be. The O-line, Darta Lee is a Senior, but the best O- Lineman seem to be the sophomores that are starting and the freshman and sophomores that occassionally rotate in.

What’s ironic is that our intermediate passing games is miles better than our long game. Why they abandoned it so early in the game is beyond me. Makes no sense.
The only reason that makes sense is because there were several passes batted down at the line. But I still don't think that justifies abandoning it.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
What’s ironic is that our intermediate passing games is miles better than our long game. Why they abandoned it so early in the game is beyond me. Makes no sense.
Yeah, there was a play where if Hardison checks down to the FB instead of going deep, we might have been able to drive down and give ourselves a chance. I don't know if that's coaching or a young QB, making bad decisions or not seeing the field. It's like he's a Gamble and it's Go Big or Go Home!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Honest Question: Does Dimel not realize that Fields carries are hurting the offense/team? Is he just being stubborn, or does somebody need to honestly point this out to him?

Fields simply does not have the size nor speed for this level and his stats prove this: When ranking all of our RB's this season, Fields only has the 4th longest run from scrimmage(despite almost having the most carries/chances) and he is also only the 4th ranked RB on our team this season in yards per carry.

This has been mentioned so many times, but what should be a 3 to 4 yard carry from a different back, results in only a 2 yard carry when Fields is running. We leave yards on the field(don't maximize) on almost every Fields carry. Our running scheme is not the best and the O-line has struggled, but Dimel is almost intentional hurting his own team by then adding so many Fields carries(wasted downs) on top of this.

Why does it take Dimel so long to identify simple issues that others see so quickly? For instance it took Dimel 3 games last season to publicly mention the discipline/penalty issues that I had been screaming about 3 games earlier.

I have a friend who coaches high school football out in East Texas. He works with a guy who played for Dimel at UH. When we first hired Dimel, I asked what he thought of him and he said that one of the biggest player frustrations was that at times Dimel would play his seniors over more talented under class men. He stated that he was ready to transfer had Dimel not been replaced. Dimel did get replaced, this guy stayed and earned a starting role under the new staff the next year and had a good career. We saw this happen last year when Kai and Jones were given almost all of the reps, while guys like Hardison and Goodwin did not even get a full use of 4 complete games. What are guys like Awatt and Eldridge thinking right now, as they watch a less talented RB getting so many carries ahead of them? They are probably having the same thoughts as this former UH player did.

The play that sticks out to me the most is the failed fourth and 1 from the 14. It was a pass short of the 1st down. I saw people saying we should have run it up the middle. Isn’t that exactly what everyone is expecting? Had we run it up the middle and gotten stuffed there would be more complains about the lack of creativity in the play calling.
Throwing the ball short of the marker on 4th down is like leaving a birdie putt short. There are just some things in sports that should be avoided if possible.

Reactions: miner1liner
Dimel needs someone to inform him that "winning " is the goal; not playing his favorites. He apparently isn't aware of the W-L factor.

Throwing the ball short of the marker on 4th down is like leaving a birdie putt short. There are just some things in sports that should be avoided if possible.

I actually didn’t mind that the pass was shy of the marker because there was space for our receiver to make a move. That was on Hardison, not for throwing short of the chains, but for throwing it down near the dirt which made it so our wr didn’t have time go down, get back up, then make his move.

I actually didn’t mind that the pass was shy of the marker because there was space for our receiver to make a move. That was on Hardison, not for throwing short of the chains, but for throwing it down near the dirt which made it so our wr didn’t have time go down, get back up, then make his move.
Can’t get back up in college, once your knee hits your down. He needed to get that throw up where the receiver can bull his way for that yard.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Honest Question: Does Dimel not realize that Fields carries are hurting the offense/team? Is he just being stubborn, or does somebody need to honestly point this out to him?

Fields simply does not have the size nor speed for this level and his stats prove this: When ranking all of our RB's this season, Fields only has the 4th longest run from scrimmage(despite almost having the most carries/chances) and he is also only the 4th ranked RB on our team this season in yards per carry.

This has been mentioned so many times, but what should be a 3 to 4 yard carry from a different back, results in only a 2 yard carry when Fields is running. We leave yards on the field(don't maximize) on almost every Fields carry. Our running scheme is not the best and the O-line has struggled, but Dimel is almost intentional hurting his own team by then adding so many Fields carries(wasted downs) on top of this.

Why does it take Dimel so long to identify simple issues that others see so quickly? For instance it took Dimel 3 games last season to publicly mention the discipline/penalty issues that I had been screaming about 3 games earlier.

I have a friend who coaches high school football out in East Texas. He works with a guy who played for Dimel at UH. When we first hired Dimel, I asked what he thought of him and he said that one of the biggest player frustrations was that at times Dimel would play his seniors over more talented under class men. He stated that he was ready to transfer had Dimel not been replaced. Dimel did get replaced, this guy stayed and earned a starting role under the new staff the next year and had a good career. We saw this happen last year when Kai and Jones were given almost all of the reps, while guys like Hardison and Goodwin did not even get a full use of 4 complete games. What are guys like Awatt and Eldridge thinking right now, as they watch a less talented RB getting so many carries ahead of them? They are probably having the same thoughts as this former UH player did.

Kinda ironic how Dimel is so loyal to Fields...even though Fields was set to transfer himself a year ago.

Maybe Fields coming back, after Wadley got hurt, is why he is being rewarded with carries now...

Reactions: JCorona
no trickery, no misdirection except for one successful bubble screen, no throwing to a capable TE or running backs, no RUNNING OUTSIDE THE TACKLES which would have taken some pressure off of Hardison and running backs...sounds like a recipe for disaster and it was as only 10 points was scored by the offense.....UTEP will not win another game if Dismel doesn’t change his ways, frustrating considering the improvements in offensive talent

points scored:

SFA 24
UT 3
ACU 17
ULM 31
LT 10

21 points per game against a cupcake schedule!
The revised COVID football schedule has rescued Dimel’s job. No pandemic and he is fired at the end of the season.

Last edited:
no trickery, no misdirection except for one successful bubble screen, no throwing to a capable TE or running backs, no RUNNING OUTSIDE THE TACKLES which would have taken some pressure off of Hardison and running backs...sounds like a recipe for disaster and it was as only 10 points was scored by the offense.....UTEP will not win another game if Dismel doesn’t change his ways, frustrating considering the improvements in offensive talent

points scored:

SFA 24
UT 3
ACU 17
ULM 31
LT 10

21 points per game against a cupcake schedule!
The revised COVID football schedule has rescued Dimel’s job. No pandemic and he is fired at the end of the season.
So obviously you don't think they're better and have not been impressed with the obvious improvement, that's fine. Just wondering are you thinking they won't win another game or how many? I'll go on record saying they will win 6-8 games total this year. That's based on the obvious jump in talent this year, while I agree play calling is still suspect. I'll say 7-5

Kinda ironic how Dimel is so loyal to Fields...even though Fields was set to transfer himself a year ago.

Maybe Fields coming back, after Wadley got hurt, is why he is being rewarded with carries now...
BS. What if Fields decides to come back next year? Eldridge will be gone. There are no guarantees with Wadley

You play your best players (especially if they are of at least equal talent and are younger/year). Play the guys now and reap the rewards now and next year. There is a place for Fields, but he is being over utilized

So obviously you don't think they're better and have not been impressed with the obvious improvement, that's fine. Just wondering are you thinking they won't win another game or how many? I'll go on record saying they will win 6-8 games total this year. That's based on the obvious jump in talent this year, while I agree play calling is still suspect. I'll say 7-5

I'm not ready to say that we will win another game. That said, I liked what I saw from some of the team against LaTech in the second half as the game progressed. This was the first game in forever where our guys showed some heart, some toughness, some grit. They pushed off LaTech guys who got in their faces trying to intimidate. They hustled, particularly on defense, to pressure LaTech's QB and to get to the ball. They punched back when LaTech punched them.

If our guys can build on that -- and they will be watching film as they prepare for their next game so I hope they see that for themselves -- they will gain more confidence and start to win some games they would normally lose. The game of football can be taught. Attitude is something they need to bring from birth and parental teaching.

We’ve seen some good football from UTEP but IMO it’s filled with asterisks. The FCS schools played us a lot tougher than they should. Even UNT who’s not having a good year played much better vs their FCS opponent than us.

ULM might be the worst team in the country. LT has suffered from injuries, hurricanes and COVID. Texas isn’t the top 10 team they pretended to be.

In years past we’re probably looking at a 1-4 start so this is good. I still don’t know what to expect from this team. Saturday is a huge day for El Paso sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT