ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Realignment and UTEP - Again

TxRdKiller

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 16, 2001
Yes, the dreaded conference realignment subject. Again. Anyway...

Due to the pandemic, there are many stories over the past 6 or 8 months about conference realignment. I've read scenarios where 10 or 11 conferences are created with 12 teams each and I've read about the PAC-12 and Big-12 merging or forming an agreement of sorts as a 16 team conference. Some schools get added while others get kicked to the curb.

In all scenarios, UTEP is treated pretty harshly. Even relegated to the FCS in a 10 conference, 12 schools per conference arrangement. One scenario I read is pretty comical. They drop Texas Tech and TCU from the Big-12 while adding New Mexico and South Dakota State. Yeah, like that would ever happen.

I truly hope that Dr. Wilson is hearing the same chatter about realignment and working to position UTEP as strongly as possible for consideration. Not that UTEP would be invited to join the Big-12 but I'd also love to see us OUT of this ridiculous C-USA.

Oh yeah, I read one where Boise State and San Diego State are invited to join the AAC. I'd love to see that. Let them spend all of their revenue paying for airline tickets traveling across the country. And it might create an opening somewhere in the west for UTEP to get into a more favorable setting where we can rekindle or build new geographical rivalries.

Harshly? Isn't the fcs what you, Taco and Nowins want for UTEP?

Harshly? Isn't the fcs what you, Taco and Nowins want for UTEP?

C'mon now, Mr. Corona. The ONE thing I want for UTEP is to return to a GEOGRAPHICALLY aligned conference. I want to rekindle or form new rivalries with schools with which we share commonality. Someone we can love to hate. I don't care enough about ODwhO and FIwhO and KentuckyWhat to get even remotely excited about playing them. I've been pretty clear about that. I don't give a flying **** about those schools.

So call it what you want. If you interpret my desire to play against schools I can get excited about playing against as wanting UTEP to drop to FCS go right ahead. I'm good with however you want to interpret that.

With that said, what are your thoughts about realignment? Where would you like to see UTEP? Don't just shit on someone else's points, make some of your own.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Come on Killer,

Mr Corona has already made it known that CUSA is way better than Independence or FCS because of UTEP’s ability to win a conference title and their bowl berths, of course comparing them to NMSU’s chances.

UTEP has won 2 conference titles their whole footballing life. 2. UTEP hasn’t won any in CUSA and hasn’t even won the West division in 16 years. They’ve only been to 3 bowl games and 2 of those were the New Mexico Bowl.

If you’re playing football at UTEP, you really don’t have a realistic chance at winning any conference trophies or going to a bowl game. UTEP has been once in the last 11 years. But yeah, that’s better than being hypothetically left out of a bowl game for being an Independent. NMSU didn’t have any problems getting a game and neither has Liberty.

Let’s remain in CUSA playing our rivals Old Dominion, Florida International, and Middle Tennessee St. The fans will be super disappointed when their season tickets say Dixie St instead of Western Kentucky! All those classic Miner-Hilltopper classics will be no more.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I cant think of any fcs schools that are in our geographic region or that I would get excited about playing.

My thoughts are that until utep puts a winning product on the field/court all we will do is continue losing. Now to fcs schools.

Come on Killer,

Mr Corona has already made it known that CUSA is way better than Independence or FCS because of UTEP’s ability to win a conference title and their bowl berths, of course comparing them to NMSU’s chances.

UTEP has won 2 conference titles their whole footballing life. 2. UTEP hasn’t won any in CUSA and hasn’t even won the West division in 16 years. They’ve only been to 3 bowl games and 2 of those were the New Mexico Bowl.

If you’re playing football at UTEP, you really don’t have a realistic chance at winning any conference trophies or going to a bowl game. UTEP has been once in the last 11 years. But yeah, that’s better than being hypothetically left out of a bowl game for being an Independent. NMSU didn’t have any problems getting a game and neither has Liberty.

Let’s remain in CUSA playing our rivals Old Dominion, Florida International, and Middle Tennessee St. The fans will be super disappointed when their season tickets say Dixie St instead of Western Kentucky! All those classic Miner-Hilltopper classics will be no more.
Who did NMSU football play this season again?

Reactions: Cube Jack
What do you want Dr Wilson to do? Call the sports writers and ask for where they got their info? Every year one of these articles is pulled out of some media guys ___ ___ ___, fans get all hot and bothered about the rumors. 99% bullshit and pretty sure Dr Wilson has enough to do in running a university instead of chasing down this crap. Besides these things never happen in public view.

Who did NMSU football play this season again?

They played more games than Old Dominion.

I am very thankful that I got to see the Miners go winless in conference play again and narrowly beat 2 FCS schools. That La-Monroe game will be remembered in 55 years too.

It would have been a travesty and life altering had we not seen UTEP football this past season. Recruits all around the country were impressed that we were able to get trashed by Texas and play on ESPN+.

I am very thankful that I got to see the Miners go winless in conference play again and narrowly beat 2 FCS schools. That La-Monroe game will be remembered in 55 years too.

It would have been a travesty and life altering had we not seen UTEP football this past season. Recruits all around the country were impressed that we were able to get trashed by Texas and play on ESPN+.
But you said nmsu has no problems getting games. Huh?

C'mon now, Mr. Corona. The ONE thing I want for UTEP is to return to a GEOGRAPHICALLY aligned conference. I want to rekindle or form new rivalries with schools with which we share commonality. Someone we can love to hate. I don't care enough about ODwhO and FIwhO and KentuckyWhat to get even remotely excited about playing them. I've been pretty clear about that. I don't give a flying **** about those schools.

So call it what you want. If you interpret my desire to play against schools I can get excited about playing against as wanting UTEP to drop to FCS go right ahead. I'm good with however you want to interpret that.

With that said, what are your thoughts about realignment? Where would you like to see UTEP? Don't just shit on someone else's points, make some of your own.
Which FCS schools would you be excited about playing?

Once again your argument is flawed. Since joining CUSA we've been to three bowls compared to one ncaa tournament. You're going to say "are you equating The New Mexico bowl with NCAA tournaments" Yes I am. UNT went to the tournament and won a game this year. If they had to choose they would take playing in the Bahamas bowl over an NCAA tourney every time.

There's a reason NMSU is trying so hard to stay FBS. They aren't independent by choice. They desperately want a new conference. I guarantee you the Arizona bowl was worth more to them financially than all their tourney appearances.

The problem with football as I've said many times is that we have never fully funded. It's absolutely Ludacris to pay a basketball coach more than the football coach. The sad thing is we have really tried to be good at basketball. We have failed and burned alot of money trying. The basketball program is in the exact spot the football program except the basketball program had been funded better than any hoops program in CUSA. We have never proved we can compete consistently in modern basketball.

If you drop football to independent of fcs basketball and all of the other sports will get worse. The conference affiliation will get worse. Sponsors will flee. At least half and probably more of the donors would leave. Football is the rising tide that lifts all boats. When the administration prioritizes football the entire athletic department will improve.

Once again your argument is flawed. Since joining CUSA we've been to three bowls compared to one ncaa tournament. You're going to say "are you equating The New Mexico bowl with NCAA tournaments" Yes I am. UNT went to the tournament and won a game this year. If they had to choose they would take playing in the Bahamas bowl over an NCAA tourney every time.

There's a reason NMSU is trying so hard to stay FBS. They aren't independent by choice. They desperately want a new conference. I guarantee you the Arizona bowl was worth more to them financially than all their tourney appearances.

The problem with football as I've said many times is that we have never fully funded. It's absolutely Ludacris to pay a basketball coach more than the football coach. The sad thing is we have really tried to be good at basketball. We have failed and burned alot of money trying. The basketball program is in the exact spot the football program except the basketball program had been funded better than any hoops program in CUSA. We have never proved we can compete consistently in modern basketball.

If you drop football to independent of fcs basketball and all of the other sports will get worse. The conference affiliation will get worse. Sponsors will flee. At least half and probably more of the donors would leave. Football is the rising tide that lifts all boats. When the administration prioritizes football the entire athletic department will improve.

LMAO - ludacris?!? It’s ludicrous. The minor bowl games that CUSA teams play in don’t give the schools very much money. The Arizona Bowl pays $350,000 and aired on ASN when NMSU played. You think that’s better than losing in the NCAA tournament on CBS/TBS/TNT/TruTV ?

UNT would definitely not take a Bahamas Bowl over winning the NCAA tournament. What a “ludacris” statement!

My mistake I meant to put ncaa tournament game not the entire tourney. They certainly would pick Bahamas bowl over winning one ncaa tournament game.

What do you want Dr Wilson to do? Call the sports writers and ask for where they got their info? Every year one of these articles is pulled out of some media guys ___ ___ ___, fans get all hot and bothered about the rumors. 99% bullshit and pretty sure Dr Wilson has enough to do in running a university instead of chasing down this crap. Besides these things never happen in public view.

I'd like for Dr. Wilson to simply be aware that realignment is coming. TV contracts will begin expiring after the 2022/2023 season and conferences don't wait until the last minute to put the pieces in place to maximize revenue. And knowing that, to position UTEP in the best light possible.

Believe me, I know that will be a Heculean task but she's the school President. It's her job to get UTEP into the best conference situation possible.

LMAO - ludacris?!? It’s ludicrous. The minor bowl games that CUSA teams play in don’t give the schools very much money. The Arizona Bowl pays $350,000 and aired on ASN when NMSU played. You think that’s better than losing in the NCAA tournament on CBS/TBS/TNT/TruTV ?

UNT would definitely not take a Bahamas Bowl over winning the NCAA tournament. What a “ludacris” statement!

My mistake I meant to type ncaa tournament game not the entire tournament. They would certainly rather go to Bahamas bowl than win a tournament game.

The bowl games is way more profitable than the ncaa tournament games. I guarantee you NMSU generated more donations and merchandise sales off that bowl game than they did for any of their tournament appearances.

My mistake I meant to put ncaa tournament game not the entire tourney. They certainly would pick Bahamas bowl over winning one ncaa tournament game.

I can't speak for UNT. What I can and will say is that I would take a 13th seeded UTEP beating a 4th seed in the NCAA tourney over winning a bullshit bowl against a bullshit team. There are far too many football bowl games and most of them are crap.

I can't speak for UNT. What I can and will say is that I would take a 13th seeded UTEP beating a 4th seed in the NCAA tourney over winning a bullshit bowl against a bullshit team. There are far too many football bowl games and most of them are crap.

Correct and he’s acting like they’re making tons of money by going to one. If UTEP made the Bahamas Bowl, they would barely break even, if that.

Well before Dr Wilson does anything she has to get the nod from the BOR and my money is on we being permanently married to UTSA. They are not going to let UTEP strike out on their own, period. We are stuck and the UT system has us by the gonads. As far as CUSA goes I think the east breaks off and we end up playing all the have not Texas schools plus maybe a few in bordering states like La Tech or the Aggies. We will never go back to the OLD WAC, they don't want us and we can't leave the Texas schools. We are stuck where we are the situation will change around us, but we have little to do except watch it revolve around us.

Last edited:
Let's be real for a moment. No one in cusa is upgrading conferences. Maybe a 5% chance the east schools form their own conference. At that point add nmsu and one or two other schools and CUSA west turns out to be a better conference for us than the current form.
I wouldn't hate that. Except Southern Miss, UAB and LA Tech would probably stick with the CUSA East schools. Which leaves us and the CUSA Texas schools in a bad spot.

At that point, I wouldn't be shocked if they all stuck together and just gave us the boot. Then, hello WAC. We bring nothing to the table.

Reactions: utep-piggy
I wouldn't hate that. Except Southern Miss, UAB and LA Tech would probably stick with the CUSA East schools. Which leaves us and the CUSA Texas schools in a bad spot.

At that point, I wouldn't be shocked if they all stuck together and just gave us the boot. Then, hello WAC. We bring nothing to the table.
Some of the eastern schools in the SB would probably join them too. At that point we pick what's left of the western schools in the SB and CUSA. A realistic conference that I wouldn't mind

UTEP
NMSU
UTSA
Texas St
UNT
RICE
ULM
Lafayette
Arkansas St

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin

UTEP’s perpetual suckage in athletics always leaves them and their fans at the mercy of other conference schools. In any realignment scenario, expect UTEP to be left behind again in another conference downgrade. UTEP is a liability offering good tacos and enchiladas but shitty athletics.

Some of the eastern schools in the SB would probably join them too. At that point we pick what's left of the western schools in the SB and CUSA. A realistic conference that I wouldn't mind

UTEP
NMSU
UTSA
Texas St
UNT
RICE
ULM
Lafayette
Arkansas St

There’s still 5 more years left on the CFP contract. A new league has no right to come in and split money with them. The MWC, SBC, MAC, AAC, and CUSA are not going to give up money and let some new league make their pots less. Not happening before 2026.

UTEP
NMSU
UTSA
Texas St
UNT
RICE
ULM
Lafayette
Arkansas St

Assuming those Sun Belt schools would want to join us. The current Sun Belt is no worse and may be more appealing to them than a CUSA West 4.0

There’s still 5 more years left on the CFP contract. A new league has no right to come in and split money with them. The MWC, SBC, MAC, AAC, and CUSA are not going to give up money and let some new league make their pots less. Not happening before 2026.
So then what's the purpose of this thread?

Assuming those Sun Belt schools would want to join us. The current Sun Belt is no worse and may be more appealing to them than a CUSA West 4.0
If Appalachian St, Coastal Carolina and the Georgia schools join the cusa eastern schools what's the appeal for the remaining 6 sb schools to stay?

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
So then what's the purpose of this thread?

The pandemic has changed everything. TV contracts for the P5 conferences begin to expire in the next year or two. They are going to poach from one another to reshape themselves for the TV eyeballs they want. Why else would conferences continue to change their membership? TV. Don't think that schools like Boise State are content to remain in G5 or whatever that will become over the next several years.

Where will that leave UTEP?

Reactions: JCorona
The only time we were good and got called up to a better conference ended up being a curse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT