ADVERTISEMENT

Could UTEP be invited to join the Big12?

The big 12 will look vastly different in a few years. The big 12 was vastly over paid for their tv rights that wont happen next time around. In Austin most of the whorn boosters and alumns think its inevitable they will end up in the pac 12. Austin has alot more in common with the Pac 12 cities than any of the big 12 towns. The intrigue comes with who would go with them. Ou and osu are tied together by the Oklahoma legislature. Neither fits culturally in the pac 12 but if the big 10 or sec is off the table they would go. I dont think tech goes to the pac 12, the pac 12 is a strong academic conference their presidents wouldnt stand for tech's terrible academics plus Lubbock is the polar opposite of the pac 12 locales. I think Houston will tag along with the whorns to the pac 12, they bring good academics one of the richest recruiting areas in the country and a top 10 tv market.

Its definately not out of the realm of possibilities that UTEP could end up in the big 12 someday but the makeup of the conference could be vastly different.

According to Dan Wolken (@DanWolken), the USA Today CFB Writer and Ralph Russo (@ralphDrussoAP) CFB Writer for the AP feel that if the Big XII expand it will come from either Boise St., BYU or any of the AAC schools. That tells us that UTEP needs to a better job of investing in its athletic program.

In the short term root for memphis and cinci or any two of the aac schools to get it in. If that happens UTEP and UMASS would get aac invites.

If BYU and Boise go to the big 12 UTEP will be in the depleted MWC, same scenario in the AAC.

I don't see Boise going to the Big 12. They sit in the big chair in the MWC and get everything they want. Why leave for a smaller chair? I agree with MinerforLife, Ok and others only leave for the P12 if there is nowhere else to go and the door is shut for the SEC. I don't see Tech going to the P12 under any condition. The P12 campus presidents wouldn't want to absorb a school that doesn't push that same academic standard as they do. Not every school in the P12 is Stanford, Cal academics, but all campus prez's are in agreement with their benchmark level.

UTEP can end up in the Big 12. But the Big 12 then wouldn't be the same as it is today. Either way, UTEP would have to invest in the program in a way I don't think they have or are begrudgingly doing. They'll definitely have to change the way they do business.

According to Dan Wolken (@DanWolken), the USA Today CFB Writer and Ralph Russo (@ralphDrussoAP) CFB Writer for the AP feel that if the Big XII expand it will come from either Boise St., BYU or any of the AAC schools. That tells us that UTEP needs to a better job of investing in its athletic program.

Wolken is a dumbass and hates El Paso. Just for shits and giggles, let's take the BIG XII throws out a feeler for UTEP. I guarantee, Wolken will have an anti UTEP write up so fast it will make your head spin.

Wolken is just speaking the truth utep2step. Boise and BYU are no brainers over UTEP to join the Big 12. The bring way more to the table than UTEP.
UTEP has like a 1% chance of ever moving to the BIG 12. I don't know why people keep bringing up this topic all the time. UTEP will bring nothing to the BIG 12.

The big 12 will look vastly different in a few years. The big 12 was vastly over paid for their tv rights that wont happen next time around. In Austin most of the whorn boosters and alumns think its inevitable they will end up in the pac 12. Austin has alot more in common with the Pac 12 cities than any of the big 12 towns. The intrigue comes with who would go with them. Ou and osu are tied together by the Oklahoma legislature. Neither fits culturally in the pac 12 but if the big 10 or sec is off the table they would go. I dont think tech goes to the pac 12, the pac 12 is a strong academic conference their presidents wouldnt stand for tech's terrible academics plus Lubbock is the polar opposite of the pac 12 locales. I think Houston will tag along with the whorns to the pac 12, they bring good academics one of the richest recruiting areas in the country and a top 10 tv market.

Its definately not out of the realm of possibilities that UTEP could end up in the big 12 someday but the makeup of the conference could be vastly different.

I agree. Much like the make up of CUSA changed before UTEP joined.

UTEP can leave conferences when they consistently win Conference USA Championships year in and year out, they still haven't dominated CUSA yet. I don't know what good it would be to get clobbered by the BIG XII week in and week out.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Wolken is just speaking the truth utep2step. Boise and BYU are no brainers over UTEP to join the Big 12. The bring way more to the table than UTEP.
UTEP has like a 1% chance of ever moving to the BIG 12. I don't know why people keep bringing up this topic all the time. UTEP will bring nothing to the BIG 12.
Boise? Really? Good, solid program, but they're not going to the Big XII. UTEP will never be in the Big XII, but that doesn't mean Wolken is a pillar of knowledge either.

Boise isn't leaving the MWC for the Big 12... They WOULD leave for the Pac 12 before thinking three times about the B12 and even saying that I'm squinting my eyes. In the MWC, Boise is the big dog. They get everything they want. Why leave that to become a puppy? They'd be a puppy in the P12, but there's a lot more - dare I say - prestige being in the P12 over the B12.

The bigger question is what would the B12 have to offer Boise to entice them to join? BYU is an easy one, but Boise is much harder.

Gee Tribal, I have no idea what the B12 could offer them besides increased money and exposure. Boise would jump to the B12 in a second. The Big12 paid out like 25 million to its teams last year. MWC comes nowhere near that. Any G5 school would jump to any P5 school in 1 second

Gee Tribal, I have no idea what the B12 could offer them besides increased money and exposure. Boise would jump to the B12 in a second. The Big12 paid out like 25 million to its teams last year. MWC comes nowhere near that. Any G5 school would jump to any P5 school in 1 second

First, let's be realistic. Boise isn't going to jump at more money, only to get thumped for several years before becoming competitive again. They had the chance to leave before and they didn't. Besides they get the lions share of the MWC revenue. That's a sore factoid to UNLV. Leave for the B12? Yeah maybe when realignment happens again and Hawaii folds their program into a D3 operation. Last note, Boise already gets national exposure. They are probably the only MWC school that does.

Last edited:
Look at what joining the Big 12 did to TCU. That's what the Big 12 has to offer Boise. The money and exposure like ST said but also a good chance to play for a National Championship and a BCS bowl every season.

Prior to Peterson leaving they played in quite a few bowl games. And considering the BCS doesn't exist anymore, I don't think they'll be playing in any of those. Lol

For that to happen UTEP would have to go undefeated and win a big bowl game like a Fiesta Bowl. UTEP can't even beat a mediocre opponent in the New Mexico Bowl. UTEP is light years away from being the next Boise State.

It was Kugler's second season. Relax. This will be his third. It takes time to build a program especially one that was left to languish. Can UTEP become the next Boise? Only if the school invests in the program and Kugler keeps winning. We'll know more on the direction of the program after this season.

It was Kugler's second season. Relax. This will be his third. It takes time to build a program especially one that was left to languish. Can UTEP become the next Boise? Only if the school invests in the program and Kugler keeps winning. We'll know more on the direction of the program after this season.

That's basically what I said, just in other words. :)

First, let's be realistic. Boise isn't going to jump at more money, only to get thumped for several years before becoming competitive again. They had the chance to leave before and they didn't. Besides they get the lions share of the MWC revenue. That's a sore factoid to UNLV. Leave for the B12? Yeah maybe when realignment happens again and Hawaii folds their program into a D3 operation. Last note, Boise already gets national exposure. They are probably the only MWC school that does.

Yes they would jump for money. Every G5 school would. They had a chance to leave for the Big East, but doing so would have put their basketball teams in the Big West. Their Olympic sport coaches were upset about leaving the MWC to go to the Big West.

At the llth hour, they worked out a deal with the MWC, were they got special treatment, to the delight of both them and the rest of the conference. UNLV did get screwed in $ this season, Boise did good for them, but it does not compare to what they could get from being in the Big12.

They do get a lot of exposure, but most of it is on Friday or Saturday nights at 1115pm eastern. Primetime Big12 games start at 8pm Eastern. Not only that Boise is playing on ESPN2 and CBSSN. They are not playing on ESPN and ABC like OU and UT.

The Big 12 would come with increased exposure and more money. Only a fool would turn it down. If you don't believe me, go to the Boise or MWC board and ask them yourself. You would be laughed off the topic so quick because it's so asinine.

Yes they would jump for money. Every G5 school would. They had a chance to leave for the Big East, but doing so would have put their basketball teams in the Big West. Their Olympic sport coaches were upset about leaving the MWC to go to the Big West.

At the llth hour, they worked out a deal with the MWC, were they got special treatment, to the delight of both them and the rest of the conference. UNLV did get screwed in $ this season, Boise did good for them, but it does not compare to what they could get from being in the Big12.

They do get a lot of exposure, but most of it is on Friday or Saturday nights at 1115pm eastern. Primetime Big12 games start at 8pm Eastern. Not only that Boise is playing on ESPN2 and CBSSN. They are not playing on ESPN and ABC like OU and UT.

The Big 12 would come with increased exposure and more money. Only a fool would turn it down. If you don't believe me, go to the Boise or MWC board and ask them yourself. You would be laughed off the topic so quick because it's so asinine.

I, nor does anyone else need to ask cause Boise isn't moving. You're forgetting they have alumni to answer to and not one of their alumni is going to stand silent for them to shift to the Big 12 only to get hammered for a few seasons. But all of this is for naught. BYU is the better fish to catch for the Big 12 right now but BYU isn't about to give up that indie status either - especially now that the BCS nonsense is done.

I, nor does anyone else need to ask cause Boise isn't moving. You're forgetting they have alumni to answer to and not one of their alumni is going to stand silent for them to shift to the Big 12 only to get hammered for a few seasons. But all of this is for naught. BYU is the better fish to catch for the Big 12 right now but BYU isn't about to give up that indie status either - especially now that the BCS nonsense is done.

Boise St. and BYU would move in a hot second. The guaranteed money is too good to pass up. The Boise St. alumni would much rather see games against teams in the Power 5 conferences than MWC teams every week. And who says they will get thumped? TCU was supposed to get thumped when they came to the Big 12 and they were the last team out in the playoff for the championship last year. And yeah the BCS is done, but if you think politics and who you play in the season doesn't matter anymore you haven't been keeping up with the Jones's. You will need to beat quality teams to even make it into those playoff bowls, and BYU is going to have a hell of a time getting respect unless they play Power 5 conferences every week.

Boise would jump in heartbeat. For the last 30 years BYU has been the strongest canidate on paper for conference realignment but they are still waiting by the phone. The truth of the matter is that college presidents dont want to be aligned with a Mormon school. Mormonism isnt well thought of in academia. The no play on Sunday is also a non starter for most conferences. The biggest reason they arent in a p5 conference is the political influence and money they wield. The big 12 is run by ut austin and to a much lesser extent oklahoma. There is no way they are inviting an alpha dog who will disrupt the power structure. BYU would not sit quietly in the back with their head down and go along with the whorns agenda. They have as much money as the Whorns, have more alumns in congress than any other school, and their own tv network. They pose a big risk to the power structure of the big 12 thats why they wont get an invite.

There isn't a Miner fan on here who wouldn't mind going 0-9 in conference play for 4 years if it meant UTEP was in the Big 12. Same goes for the basketball team. Better to be in the Big 12 sucking $$$, collecting money and getting exposure and better recruits than to be meddling in Crapference USA.

Here is a story from Jon Solomon of CBSSports.com about Big XII expansion.
BYU: The Cougars badly want to get into a Power Five conference for more money, exposure and scheduling help. BYU, owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, probably offers the largest potential audience for the Big 12. It might not be a cultural fit for the Big 12, though, such as BYU's policy of playing no games on Sundays.
Boise State: Competitively in football, Boise State makes all the sense in the world. The Broncos are a brand name by winning games. They also play in Idaho with a very small TV market.

Memphis: Like Cincinnati, adding Memphis would help solve the West Virginia travel problem. Memphis has a quality basketball program, has been improving in football, and is located in a decent (and new) TV market for the Big 12. Memphis president David Rudd apparently got Boren's memo and tweeted Wednesday: "Will be announcing new football & basketball facilities soon, stay tuned. Committed to competing at the highest level."

Boise has been a powerhouse in Div1-AA. They moved up to Div.1-A and they have only played in Div.1-A for 15 years and they are already the top mid-major in the country. The have won 2 BCS bowls, have had 2 undefeated seasons, have victories over TCU, Iowa State, Oklahoma, UTAH, ASU, and Arizona in bowl games. I am pretty sure BSU Alumni are licking their chops to get into the Big 12. BSU isn't thinking they are going to get hammered for a few seasons, they are thinking they will compete in the Big 12 right away. BSU wouldn't think twice about staying in the Mountain West if offered an invite to the Big 12. Big 12 vs. Mountain West.....uuuuum thats a no brainer. Boise would do very well in the Big 12 and everyone in Boise knows it.

When they moved from Div.1-AA to Div.1-A they weren't thinking ohh we will get hammered for awhile. They saw it as a opportunity to move up and took advantage of it. They will think the same if offered an invite to the Big 12.

Boise would jump in heartbeat. For the last 30 years BYU has been the strongest canidate on paper for conference realignment but they are still waiting by the phone. The truth of the matter is that college presidents dont want to be aligned with a Mormon school. Mormonism isnt well thought of in academia. The no play on Sunday is also a non starter for most conferences. The biggest reason they arent in a p5 conference is the political influence and money they wield. The big 12 is run by ut austin and to a much lesser extent oklahoma. There is no way they are inviting an alpha dog who will disrupt the power structure. BYU would not sit quietly in the back with their head down and go along with the whorns agenda. They have as much money as the Whorns, have more alumns in congress than any other school, and their own tv network. They pose a big risk to the power structure of the big 12 thats why they wont get an invite.

Which is why I said BYU isn't going to move anywhere. They enjoy their independence as MinerforLife pointed out. However, I don't see, nor have I have seen BYU be about the money more than the austerity. True, part of pursuing them may be religious ideology, but they are certainly not going to sit in the back of the bus and just be happy to be going for a ride. That's not BYU at all.

The only reason I disagree with Boise jumping - and mind you I give credit to the possibility minds change over time, but in 2013, the school prez, several big donor alumni and the AD were having a discussion about moving "in the future." The alumni that were present made it known they didn't see the necessity in moving to a bigger conference. Once they said that, the AD dropped the subject. Again, things change, so maybe in 2015, they feel differently (*shrugs shoulders).

Everyone knows the Big 12 needs to expand. Everyone knew this a year ago. The Big 12 commish just didn't think they needed to. Now he does. The only question is who wants to join. I agree with MinerforLife, BYU isn't taking a back seat and given the community and alumni support Boise enjoys, they wouldn't take a back seat either to any other Big 12 school. For Boise, if more money means the back seat, the Broncos would just as soon stay in the MWC, where they get everything and anything they want. More money doesn't always mean things are "more" better.

I agree in a perfect world Boise would stay put. However, in the current climate they will do whatever it takes to move up. Its looking more likely everyday that we are moving towards four super conferences that will split from the NCAA. Boise doesnt want to get left behind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT