ADVERTISEMENT

Courtside Club

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
New Courtside club coming to the DHC. I guess they will have to take away seats that are next to the walk in entrance.

Reactions: JCorona
Nice. About time the Haskins Center gets fancy seats for the super rich.

I read more into it. I don't think there will be any courtside seats. Sounds more like a bar area for donors that give 5k+
That’s how I understood it too. Otherwise there would have to be major renovations court side at The Don. That would mean removing seats and constructing a new area for these high rollers. No way UTEP would get it done in time for the season.

Large area underneath the stands across form the coaches offices and player prep rooms. It is large so there is a lot of room to upgrade and it looks like it will have it's own entrance outside. Can have a drink and snack before entering your seat through the tunnel. Likely a perk for the courtside seating people. Gives UTEP more a reason to up charge for those seats. Will likely never see skybox style seats in the DHC too cost prohibitive and you could get burned like UNM did a few years back, spend a bundle on them then couldn't generate enough income to pay for it. Smart move by UTEP.

Reactions: axingfools1
Large area underneath the stands across form the coaches offices and player prep rooms. It is large so there is a lot of room to upgrade and it looks like it will have it's own entrance outside. Can have a drink and snack before entering your seat through the tunnel. Likely a perk for the courtside seating people. Gives UTEP more a reason to up charge for those seats. Will likely never see skybox style seats in the DHC too cost prohibitive and you could get burned like UNM did a few years back, spend a bundle on them then couldn't generate enough income to pay for it. Smart move by UTEP.
When I was young my dad used to keep clock He would give me a pass to sit behind the Miner bench. At halftime there was usually a little buffet in that area you are talking about.

When I was young my dad used to keep clock He would give me a pass to sit behind the Miner bench. At halftime there was usually a little buffet in that area you are talking about.
I used to get courtside pass many moons ago and the buffet was always good stuff.

Reactions: kickballpro
I was going to say the same thing then backed out.

You are correct and it still happens.
Yup, been going on for decades. Happens at all venues across the country. They get chummy with the SID Director at Where Ever U and their slap along side kicks and get the stats and maybe some summary; pump it out on the laptop to the editor for the dead line & proof and that's it. If they say there's more too it they are bs'ing.

Now, let me be clear, this is for college game day for the major revenue sports. I am not saying they are not "earning their keep", I am saying that the SID just has to provide the stats, info and certain legally allowable access; the rest is just the gravy. So yes, they technically do not have too show up "on site". SID directors do not need some cock of the walk media personnel snooping around on the sidelines waiting for a coach's gaffe, back handed put down or some late pm scoop that has not been properly vetted and the local sports media does not need cold shoulder/angry attitude from the coaching staff or AD's office when the school needs much needed fan support and ticket sales.

Reactions: Cube Jack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT