ADVERTISEMENT

CRT's recruiting history at Fresno State

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
We hear a lot about his recruiting while an assisstant at Texas, but I think we can expect more along the lines of what he did at Fresno St. and hopefully more.

https://thecollegehoopsreport.blogspot.com/2018/03/utepathletics.html?m=1

He also recruited forwards Paul Watson, Bryson Williams and Nate Grimes.Toren Jones (dismissed) and Cullen Russo were both very decent Juco forward transfers too.

Last edited:
Reactions: picks up
I looked at his last team in Fresno and it had 8 transfers on the roster. It had guys from Auburn, Colorado, Washington, NMSU, Texas A&M, UMKC, Pacific, and Long Beach St. It’s reassuring to know he was taking advantage of the transfer epidemic and not the other way around. I expect in the next few seasons for our roster to be filled with a couple of quality D1 transfers.

I think he does better in Utep recruiting wise. Its going to be a bit easier for him to recruit Texas.

How’d that work out? Another great Fili prediction
He did recruit at a very high level by uteps standards. He brought a first team all big 12 player and a potential big east mvp who both ended up playing multiple seasons here. Not to mention tarke and odegie who were either all conference mvps or first team all conference players at their respective school. It is still baffling they were as bad as they were from 19-21. His first year he signed every single player who came on a visit except for that kid who went to oklahoma state.

He did recruit at a very high level by uteps standards. He brought a first team all big 12 player and a potential big east mvp who both ended up playing multiple seasons here. Not to mention tarke and odegie who were either all conference mvps or first team all conference players at their respective school. It is still baffling they were as bad as they were from 19-21. His first year he signed every single player who came on a visit except for that kid who went to oklahoma state.
Tarke stunk at UTEP.

Tarke stunk at UTEP.
I know he did. He was terrible, I had no idea how he looked so good at coppin state. Point is, they had legit talent all across the board for 2 seasons and were worse than they are now under Golding. Golding has a great personality, fun guy. He needs to take some of the big donors out for a beer and make the ask for what he needs to get some higher quality players here. Duquesne turned their program around in a season because they were able to give players deals.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Tarke stunk at UTEP.
Actually not. He started his first couple of games, and did stink. Then he got stuck deep on the bench. When he did come in he played with heart and energy, and made a positive contribution. You would think that would have earned him more playing time, but not with Terry as a coach. Like some other players (Efe, Stroud) Tarke could have made a much larger contribution had he been given more minutes.

Actually not. He started his first couple of games, and did stink. Then he got stuck deep on the bench. When he did come in he played with heart and energy, and made a positive contribution. You would think that would have earned him more playing time, but not with Terry as a coach. Like some other players (Efe, Stroud) Tarke could have made a much larger contribution had he been given more minutes.
But plenty of minutes for Vila.

Tarke was well known as the hardest worker on the team. First to show up, last to leave and played hard in practice and in game time. He tried too hard IMO. When he was at NJIT he just let the flow of the game come to him from the video clips I saw. At UTEP it's as if he was trying to make the team for JV basketball.

Terry was definitely able to bring in some high level talent in retrospect. I wanted to add a couple of observations. First, on Tarke, injuries did play a big role during his playing season at UTEP. I remember thinking he was just starting to come around, and then sure enough, he was injured again after a steal and dunk. He never seemed to be fully healthy here. He was also very shaky in his move to the perimeter, and was super turnover prone. Second, while there was talent on the team, many of the guys at critical positions were young, inexperienced, and actually below average at the time. While Williams was always very solid, guys like Hawkins, Lathon, Odigie and even Boum were not the players that they are now (pretty obvious observation there). So, there were some challenges there that would have been tough on many coaches.

Pivoting over to this year's team, one of the reasons I felt good going into the season was due to Golding bringing in some experienced players, like Givance, Hardy, and Solomon. My question at this point is that even though they are older/experienced players, are they really higher level talent guys? Too me, several guys haven't lived up to expectations to this point, but hopefully that changes quickly. Right now, I don't see any all conference type talent on this team.

Terry was definitely able to bring in some high level talent in retrospect. I wanted to add a couple of observations. First, on Tarke, injuries did play a big role during his playing season at UTEP. I remember thinking he was just starting to come around, and then sure enough, he was injured again after a steal and dunk. He never seemed to be fully healthy here. He was also very shaky in his move to the perimeter, and was super turnover prone. Second, while there was talent on the team, many of the guys at critical positions were young, inexperienced, and actually below average at the time. While Williams was always very solid, guys like Hawkins, Lathon, Odigie and even Boum were not the players that they are now (pretty obvious observation there). So, there were some challenges there that would have been tough on many coaches.

Pivoting over to this year's team, one of the reasons I felt good going into the season was due to Golding bringing in some experienced players, like Givance, Hardy, and Solomon. My question at this point is that even though they are older/experienced players, are they really higher level talent guys? Too me, several guys haven't lived up to expectations to this point, but hopefully that changes quickly. Right now, I don't see any all conference type talent on this team.
Nicely stated. Boum was the real deal. That's was my point on Tarke. How do you get injured, trying too hard. Go with the flow with the game and your body follows. I think Terry hurt the team chemistry in some way we as fans will never know. My goodness, they got into a (non physical) fight at Christmas in Hawaii?! I'm glad Terry is gone.

Nicely stated. Boum was the real deal. That's was my point on Tarke. How do you get injured, trying too hard. Go with the flow with the game and your body follows. I think Terry hurt the team chemistry in some way we as fans will never know. My goodness, they got into a (non physical) fight at Christmas in Hawaii?! I'm glad Terry is gone.
Yep, agree on Terry. He also had his own serious health issues while HC at UTEP. I thought it was a good move for both sides. Back to Golding, I must admit, the efforts and results on the road versus NMSU and DePaul gave me very "Terry" type vibes. While those two are decent teams, there are several similarly talented teams in conference. Golding and company need to do better.

Boum cost us a game against KU that we could have and should have won but his blunders and stupidity single-handidly threw what would’ve been our biggest win in 30 years away

Reactions: kickballpro
Boum cost us a game against KU that we could have and should have won but his blunders and stupidity single-handidly threw what would’ve been our biggest win in 30 years away

Terry should have called a timeout. You had 5 players back on defense for Kansas and once he realized we weren’t going to beat them back down the court he should have called a timeout and set up a final shot.

I agree with you about Boum kinda screwing up in the moment but Terry also choked.

But plenty of minutes for Vila.
I know Vila struggled, but he had a severe foot issue during his time here and it was misdiagnosed. He was probably 30-40% physically. It was tough for him, he could have been an integral piece to the team. He played well early on in spite of his poor shooting, then his confidence was shot by mid season. He plays in Spain on a team with Marc Gasol and won the championship this past year. Overall, Terry did an awful job managing that team. He showed that you can recruit good talent to El Paso. Idk what this staffs deal is when it comes to recruiting, but maybe they should pick Terry`s brain on how he was able to win recruiting battles in El Paso.

I blame the 15 point lead we blew on the loss. Besides Boum and Williams, everyone else disappeared in the last 10 - 12 minutes of the game. Literally gone, I might be wrong but I don't remember anyone else besides those two making points when we needed to. I blame everyone else that didn't contribute in the second half of the second half for the loss.

I know Vila struggled, but he had a severe foot issue during his time here and it was misdiagnosed. He was probably 30-40% physically. It was tough for him, he could have been an integral piece to the team. He played well early on in spite of his poor shooting, then his confidence was shot by mid season. He plays in Spain on a team with Marc Gasol and won the championship this past year. Overall, Terry did an awful job managing that team. He showed that you can recruit good talent to El Paso. Idk what this staffs deal is when it comes to recruiting, but maybe they should pick Terry`s brain on how he was able to win recruiting battles in El Paso.
Terry recruited guys at UT that went on to play in the NBA. He also had good Texas and Fresno connections. Most importantly he didn't have to deal with the NIL. Golding has nothing but his Gung Ho personality and his 1 win against UT.

Vila was horrible on defense for his size...

I blame the 15 point lead we blew on the loss. Besides Boum and Williams, everyone else disappeared in the last 10 - 12 minutes of the game. Literally gone, I might be wrong but I don't remember anyone else besides those two making points when we needed to. I blame everyone else that didn't contribute in the second half of the second half for the loss.
Boum missed open looks and threw the ball away multiple times. It’s on him. Forever

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT