ADVERTISEMENT

Current basketball roster

I asked Broaddus on twitter and he says Hill graduates in 2022 which is strange to me. Can underclassmen actually sign loi's?

I asked Broaddus on twitter and he says Hill graduates in 2022 which is strange to me. Can underclassmen actually sign loi's?
This seems to confirm Broaddus’ claim. I didn’t know a kid could sign early either.

This seems to confirm Broaddus’ claim. I didn’t know a kid could sign early either.

No wonder he has no stats

COACHES????
Have I missed anything? The website shows all the Terry coaches. I figured Coach Joe would be cleaning house and get his own guys. Seems from a recruiting standpoint he needs new connections as well.

Reactions: kickballpro
If y’all have a chance, listen to the first part of the Sports Talk 600 El Paso podcast from earlier this week when they interviewed Tydus. Very informative and he spoke about why he decided to stay and practices with Coach Golding and Coach Cox. It’s about a 30 minute interview but answered so many questions.

If y’all have a chance, listen to the first part of the Sports Talk 600 El Paso podcast from earlier this week when they interviewed Tydus. Very informative and he spoke about why he decided to stay and practices with Coach Golding and Coach Cox. It’s about a 30 minute interview but answered so many questions.
Thank you Mrs Verhoeven. Coach Golding owes you a dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

Reactions: minerdefense
Thanks for the heads up. Some interesting tidbits.

Alright then. Next year's roster has changed a bit. With the return of Tydus and the additions of Bonke and Jorell; who do you have for your starters if the season started tomorrow?

As far as assistant coaches go, Coach Golding may be holding on to them giving them a chance to explore opportunities while keeping them on payroll or he may just go with them. With all the upheaval in college athletics right now, allowing them to stick around until the doors open elsewhere shows a bit of compassion.

Agree with Maring at the 4. I think we need at least one more PF or SF though
Agree. A true 6'6/6'7 SF type is a clear need in my opinion looking at the current roster. Also, another ball handler/PG would be good. The only back up to Bieniemy on the roster is Boum, and I think we saw last year, that wasn't a great option; and neither was Vulikic.

Would Agnew be ok at the point guard position assuming he got under control? I can’t remember how well he dealt with pressure ?

Regarding the starters or at least the "crunchtime" players, if you review last years stats you'll see just how enimic we were. Look at the team Fg%, 3ptfg%, Ft%. Williams and Boum dominated the stats, but Boum's FG% was not good and BW was horrible from 3. Bieniemy, Kennedy and Agnew must get minutes, but IMO with the Saterfield addition, he has to get major minutes. Sjolund shot 47% from 3, but he's gone. We expect the coaching quality to be dramatically improved, but you still have to have the players who can perform. Saterfield IMO has to be a difference maker. I don't see any returnees improving that much.
I'll say this tho; all our guards need to play more aggressively, take it to the hoop, etc. because they have no perimeter game except for Boum.
What we see come November might be so far removed from what we've been seeing it might look like a whole new roster.

Another area I would like us to improve in is forcing turnovers and steals. These always lead to better offensive performance, shooting percentage while limiting the other teams offensive chances. We have been abysmal in this area under Terry and I would like us to take more chances on the defensive side and force a bit of pressure. I think if coach Golding does like he did at ACU this could be the area where we make the biggest jump (not to mention it's way more interesting from a fan viewpoint)

Another area I would like us to improve in is forcing turnovers and steals. These always lead to better offensive performance, shooting percentage while limiting the other teams offensive chances. We have been abysmal in this area under Terry and I would like us to take more chances on the defensive side and force a bit of pressure. I think if coach Golding does like he did at ACU this could be the area where we make the biggest jump (not to mention it's way more interesting from a fan viewpoint)
Agreed. I thought the team actually did better in that regard last year, but yes it could improve. I think with the guards and bigs we have we can be very aggressive on defense. Not only man to man, but press and zone when needed too. I would love to see us be able to mix it up and have that become a staple of our program again. It will be interesting to see how things change under Golding.

Ze'rik Onyema
I just went back and looked at his various High School game videos. Have all of you done so? Several of us questioned Terry's decision to keep him off the floor last season. His videos clearly show his athleticism and ability. Granted; videos are selected to show all the positive highlights available and never include any shortcomings, but I'm saying with some genuine coaching behind him this guy has no limits. Add him into the lineup with Tydus and Bonke and it looks good to me.

No wonder he has no stats
The team he was supposed to play for this past season cancelled due to covid. Also noticed on UTEP's site under basketball news that Hill signed an loi with UTEP and would play in the 2021-2022 season. That news item was dated 11-24-20.

In case you weren’t able to hear Kappy’s interview on Friday here is a recap regarding the current roster:

1. He informed all players that they were beginning new and no starting positions were guaranteed from last year. With that, he said that the two weeks of practice that they had, he was impressed with JB, Keonte and Souly.
2. Christian Agnew is a chip on the shoulder type of player, which is his type of player, filled his ACU teams with these types of players. Tremendous defender and great in transition but does need to work on shot selection, which Christian is aware of.
3. Tydus will play the 4 and 5 and will have more opportunities to score then he did in the past. However, he needs to make those shots and if he can’t, he won’t be given those opportunities. He is very excited that Tydus decided to stay.
4. Emanuel White redshirted last year and will provide them with length this year.
5. Z gained 20 to 30 pounds last year and got beaten up in practice last year going up against Bryson and Tydus, so they need to give him a “little love”. He said that just the two weeks that Z was with Coach Cox, he made improvements and if he keeps it up, then we shouldn’t be surprised to see him play this year. If he doesn’t play this year, he is definitely a major part of what Golding wants to do with program in the future. However, he spoke about what a good kid Z is and it sounds like he is very coachable.
As for the recent recruits:
1. Bonke has great size and will have 3 years of eligibility.
2. Very excited for Saterfield and has followed him for awhile. Put up great numbers last season and has always played on winning teams with 3 years eligibility.
3. Kizze has great international experience and has 4 years eligibility.
He spoke of the covid recruiting and doing everything on zoom but also how you couldn’t have the “eye” test and see the recruits in person to assess. He is very excited that in person recruiting will begin again.

As for the coaches, he still has one opening and util then, they can’t announce the coaching staff but he is working to fill that spot immediately.
1. Coach Cox was one one he targeted as soon as he got the job. Considers him one of the best post coaches in the country and is very familiar with him due to coaching against him while Cox was at SFA.
2. Butch Pierre is considered one of the best recruiters in the country and he did not personally know him but that things aligned for Pierre to join his staff. Also he is very excited that he has two coaches in Pierre and Cox that have a ton of championship experience.
3. He has 3 non coaching positions filled(sorry, can’t remember their names), one from ACU, one from Chris Beard’s staff from Texas Tech and one from Doc Sadler’s staff at southern miss.
I know most of this information is not new, but it was good to hear from Coach Golding. One thing I did appreciate about the interview and almost every interview that I have heard from Coach Golding is the amount of information that he will provide. It’s almost rapid fire and you have to pay attention or it will pass you by. Hopefully this type of transparency will always last.

fyi...Coach Golding’s favorite coach was Bobby Knight. Just a little interesting tid bit

In case you weren’t able to hear Kappy’s interview on Friday here is a recap regarding the current roster:

1. He informed all players that they were beginning new and no starting positions were guaranteed from last year. With that, he said that the two weeks of practice that they had, he was impressed with JB, Keonte and Souly.
2. Christian Agnew is a chip on the shoulder type of player, which is his type of player, filled his ACU teams with these types of players. Tremendous defender and great in transition but does need to work on shot selection, which Christian is aware of.
3. Tydus will play the 4 and 5 and will have more opportunities to score then he did in the past. However, he needs to make those shots and if he can’t, he won’t be given those opportunities. He is very excited that Tydus decided to stay.
4. Emanuel White redshirted last year and will provide them with length this year.
5. Z gained 20 to 30 pounds last year and got beaten up in practice last year going up against Bryson and Tydus, so they need to give him a “little love”. He said that just the two weeks that Z was with Coach Cox, he made improvements and if he keeps it up, then we shouldn’t be surprised to see him play this year. If he doesn’t play this year, he is definitely a major part of what Golding wants to do with program in the future. However, he spoke about what a good kid Z is and it sounds like he is very coachable.
As for the recent recruits:
1. Bonke has great size and will have 3 years of eligibility.
2. Very excited for Saterfield and has followed him for awhile. Put up great numbers last season and has always played on winning teams with 3 years eligibility.
3. Kizze has great international experience and has 4 years eligibility.
He spoke of the covid recruiting and doing everything on zoom but also how you couldn’t have the “eye” test and see the recruits in person to assess. He is very excited that in person recruiting will begin again.

As for the coaches, he still has one opening and util then, they can’t announce the coaching staff but he is working to fill that spot immediately.
1. Coach Cox was one one he targeted as soon as he got the job. Considers him one of the best post coaches in the country and is very familiar with him due to coaching against him while Cox was at SFA.
2. Butch Pierre is considered one of the best recruiters in the country and he did not personally know him but that things aligned for Pierre to join his staff. Also he is very excited that he has two coaches in Pierre and Cox that have a ton of championship experience.
3. He has 3 non coaching positions filled(sorry, can’t remember their names), one from ACU, one from Chris Beard’s staff from Texas Tech and one from Doc Sadler’s staff at southern miss.
I know most of this information is not new, but it was good to hear from Coach Golding. One thing I did appreciate about the interview and almost every interview that I have heard from Coach Golding is the amount of information that he will provide. It’s almost rapid fire and you have to pay attention or it will pass you by. Hopefully this type of transparency will always last.

fyi...Coach Golding’s favorite coach was Bobby Knight. Just a little interesting tid bit
Thanks. I did read sometime back that he did get players who "fell through the cracks" (lack of a better term) type mid major players.

Thanks. I did read sometime back that he did get players who "fell through the cracks" (lack of a better term) type mid major players.
Seems to me that he probably has the same consensus as most of us. The most significant need is in the low post area ...big banger! The future with Tydus, Z and Bonke as our only post players is not as comforting as the guard/small forward situation. I think there is unlimited potential with the guard options.

One thing I did appreciate about the interview and almost every interview that I have heard from Coach Golding is the amount of information that he will provide. It’s almost rapid fire and you have to pay attention or it will pass you by. Hopefully this type of transparency will always last.
Agreed. We'd never get this much info from Floyd, Terry or Barbee. It will keep us hardcore fans in the loop and happier.

Agreed. We'd never get this much info from Floyd, Terry or Barbee. It will keep us hardcore fans in the loop and happier.
Also, he did speak about the basketball camp and the second camp being a more advanced skill set camp for high school kids and hoping that one player in particular in El Paso will attend. Gotta love that!
He also said that the staff is accumulating old game videos to show the team when they come back to highlight the history of the program. For example, playing Arizona in the tournament at Arizona. He wants them to understand the tradition of Utep.

Seems to me that he probably has the same consensus as most of us. The most significant need is in the low post area ...big banger! The future with Tydus, Z and Bonke as our only post players is not as comforting as the guard/small forward situation. I think there is unlimited potential with the guard options.
There are some really good bigs out there in the Portal. I think Golding and staff are going all out to get 1-2 of them. This would really give the team a boost and give the young guys time to sink in.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
There are some really good bigs out there in the Portal. I think Golding and staff are going all out to get 1-2 of them. This would really give the team a boost and give the young time to sink in.

where can you see list of available transfers??

So do we think Sibley plays the 3 or 4? He seems to be the same size as Sjolund with a slender build. He just doesn't look like a BW 4 type player so not sure that he is 'the replacement' (especially as a freshman). I could be wrong. VH was about this size too and played like a center.

I still see Tydus and Maring as the starters up front right now. They seem to be more of an interchangeable 4/5 combo, but they are not going to stretch the floor. Onyema plays like a center too so that leaves Sibley to play 3 or 4.

I still think we need that anchor center to complete this group and push everybody into their roles. Somebody that can take pressure off the guards.

Reactions: jdubb66
So do we think Sibley plays the 3 or 4? He seems to be the same size as Sjolund with a slender build. He just doesn't look like a BW 4 type player so not sure that he is 'the replacement' (especially as a freshman). I could be wrong. VH was about this size too and played like a center.

I still see Tydus and Maring as the starters up front right now. They seem to be more of an interchangeable 4/5 combo, but they are not going to stretch the floor. Onyema plays like a center too so that leaves Sibley to play 3 or 4.

I still think we need that anchor center to complete this group and push everybody into their roles. Somebody that can take pressure off the guards.
I don't see Sibley as a replacement for Williams at the 4. He looks more like a perimeter player offensively. At Georgetown, Ewing mentioned that Sibley wasn't ready for more playing time last year. I'm guessing much of that was related to defending at this level, which is common to many young players. I do agree that we could use a true low post scoring option. I don't think TV has shown enough offensively to be counted on in the post. Hopefully Maring can add some presence in that area as well.

If Maring, Sibley and Onyema can split minutes and have similar production to BW, I'll be cool with that.

Reactions: groundrounds
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT