ADVERTISEMENT

Current basketball roster

We now have 11 commits or signed.

2 schollies to give. What type of player do we need most urgently?
If just
Givance, Hardy, McKinney, Zachery, Sumlin
Sibley, Frazer
Dos Anjos, Z
Hamilton, Kalu
this roster who starts?
Givance, Zachery, Sumlin
McKinney, Hardy,
Sibley/Hardy, Frazer/Solomon
Sibley/Solomon/Frazier, Dos Anjos
Zerik, Kalu, Hamilton

With Goldings coaching do any of the experts on here think this team can do well in CUSA in 22-23?
I'm no expert either but I'm not sure where the scoring will come from outside of Hardy. I think we have some guys that can maybe put up 10-15 every so often, but I think this 2nd year we are going to struggle. Without ever seeing this current team play I say .500.

Will not predict what this team can do win/loss wise but it appears we are going to be much better on the boards which was a big weakness last year. Points can be made by rebounding on the offensive end and along with a pressure/turnover oriented defense can make up some of the scoring.

I'm wondering why we are assuming this team will be a better rebounding team than last year's team? Looking at the new roster, I'm not sure I see improvement in that area, with the exception of maybe Solomon; and possibly Sibley, if he gains significant strength. What am I missing?

I'm no expert either but I'm not sure where the scoring will come from outside of Hardy. I think we have some guys that can maybe put up 10-15 every so often, but I think this 2nd year we are going to struggle. Without ever seeing this current team play I say .500.
Givance can definitely score and distribute, but I also think this team will have difficulty scoring. 3 point % will probably be abissmal as well. Slightly above .500 maybe or right below. Not impressed with next year's players, but maybe Golding will surprise us

With Goldings coaching do any of the experts on here think this team can do well in CUSA in 22-23?
I'm an expert, with my experience in playing in rec leagues. People here are worried with rebounding, having size doesn't really guarantee that the team will be good in rebounding. I rather have a small athletic lineup. I think this new team that Golding is building is more athletic than last years team. The SFs and Shooting guards will have to help with rebounding. Plus people here been saying they really like Z. I see him being a Ben Wallace and Kenneth Faried type player for UTEP.

I'm an expert, with my experience in playing in rec leagues. People here are worried with rebounding, having size doesn't really guarantee that the team will be good in rebounding. I rather have a small athletic lineup. I think this new team that Golding is building is more athletic than last years team. The SFs and Shooting guards will have to help with rebounding. Plus people here been saying they really like Z. I see him being a Ben Wallace and Kenneth Faried type player for UTEP.
Who's doing the scoring though?

Who's doing the scoring though?

So looking at the roster and what they did scoring wise in 21-22, here's where we are at in terms of points. Also, remember Golding thinks this years team will be really special defensively.

Jamal Sumlin - 23.5 ppg - (High School)
Shamar Grivance - 13.7 (D1)
Tae Hardy - 13.7 (D1)
Jonathan Dos Anjos - 12.1 (Juco)
Derek Hamilton - 11.0 (Juco)
Calvin Solomon - 9.3 (D1)
Malik Zachery - 7.9 (Juco)
Jamari Sibley - 5.3 (D1)
Mario McKinney - 3.8 (D1)
Otis Frazier - 2.7 (D1)
Ze'Rik Onyema - 2.0 (D1)
Kevin Kalu - 1.5 (D1)

Right now, Onyema needs some pick and role, dump passes, bunny hooks and/or drive and finish to really score within an offense. A lot of that is also predicated and having outside shooting as well. Otherwise he is not a big offensive threat at this point. 8-10 points in 25 minutes would be great.

Where he can really make a difference is rebounding, rim protection and creating excitement. That should be his main focus. Offense takes time.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerManiac
I'm hoping between Grivance and Hardy we'll get consistent scoring at the guard and maybe Mc Kinney lives up to his potential. I like the Solomon pick up. He can be a 10 and 5 or 6 guy. Outside shooting will be a struggle. Hopefully this team can defend and keep people under 70.

Can someone post NMSUs roster? I'm too lazy to look it up. How many did they lose?

I'm wondering why we are assuming this team will be a better rebounding team than last year's team? Looking at the new roster, I'm not sure I see improvement in that area, with the exception of maybe Solomon; and possibly Sibley, if he gains significant strength. What am I missing?
Well not just based what the new guys could possible do but based on how inadequate we were in games last year. I remember games were we failed to get the ball back and gave the other team 2-3 shots in one set. It was a major weakness last year and likely was that we just weren't physical enough out front or inside. Inside we haven't changed much, but forwards do much of the board work and I think we were short in that department in a lot of games. We have a better stable of 6-6 guys who look more physical and if they can play or not remains to be seen.

In the projected starting lineup above, I'm curious about Solomon as opposed to Dos Anjos. I don't see enough to pick one over the other. What's your take?

In the projected starting lineup above, I'm curious about Solomon as opposed to Dos Anjos. I don't see enough to pick one over the other. What's your take?
Right. More experience and a proven commodity at the D1 level. If Dos Anjos can push him or if they are interchangeable then great, even better.

Also since rumor has it that Sibley is moving to the 3, and being that Z is a cleaner type center, the PF position needs to be able to do a lot. I hope Solomon is a pleasant suprise.

It seems to be this way every year. The UTEP website shows an updated roster for the women ; gone are those that are gone. All the new ones are shown. The men; different story. The roster continues to all those that flew the coup and that's it.
Why?

They won't post updates until school starts in the fall, never understood this process the old guys are gone and the new ones are official. NMSU puts their new guys on as they are announced as do just about everyone else. ?????

Reactions: kickballpro
It just makes no sense to me that our "so called roster" continues to honor all those that left looking for greener pastures and that includes starters as well the bench boys. We should be anxious to show off our completely "new" and actual roster.
Is there a justifiable reason or just too lazy to act?

The football roster is more up to date but Eldridge is still on it. Cowing is no longer listed and the new qb MacNamara is listed. Maybe each sport is responsible for its own updates and basketball keeps dropping the ball.

The womens roster is updated. The womens team is small. They only have 2 players above 6ft. They have no height.

Back to my previous post on Solomon and Dos Anjos; I looked at videos last night of Sumlin, Grivance, Hardy, Dos Anjos, Hamilton and Solomon. My impressions are:
1) Sumlin in the video I watched scored 39. He
scored from everywhere. I know this is high
school, but how many kids have we had over
time that could make that claim? Maybe
I was too sleepy, but he seemed to have an
attitude. Cocky, etc. and it bothered me.
2) Grivance didn't show me anything.
3) Hardy may end up being a real gem
4) Dos Anjos and Solomon were both very
impressive. With Sibley plus those two
playing 3 and 4, this looks like a strong
and maybe biggest strength.
5) Hamilton...couldn’t find enough to make
an impression.

As far as the women's team goes, it's troubling that so many contributors departed and they seemed as if they underperformed late in the season. I think there must of been something going on behind the scenes as this past group imploded. Hope it get fixed this year.
Same here

5 point guards on the roster. Someone is not playing and will probably transfer before Thanksgiving.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT