ADVERTISEMENT

Current basketball roster

Confused why last scholarship was another PG not a Big man. Also it seems Golding is recruiting Abilene Christian level players at UTEP. So I hope he can really coach em up to a higher level of competition.
Don't be confused. I think we already figured it out.

Reactions: nattybry
We will have 7-8 players with capacity to transfer next season.

Something that I dont get with this transfer pandemic. Do all these players think that they will get playing time?? All these players will figure out that it will be the same everywhere. UTEP just what 10 new players and they all probably want to start. Lol

Seriously? THAT'S you barometer? OMG bro please.....That's like saying Alabama football get's 5 start QBs, why don't we?
Good lord
So its typical for a women's division 1 team to only have 2 players over 6ft??

5 point guards on the roster. Someone is not playing and will probably transfer before Thanksgiving.
4 of them can play on the wing too
There are 120 minutes available with 5 guys its 24 min each
But a couple will get more playing time
Possible one is not happy but probably would not transfer out in mid year

4 of them can play on the wing too
There are 120 minutes available with 5 guys its 24 min each
But a couple will get more playing time
Possible one is not happy but probably would not transfer out in mid year
Sumlin is a freshman and probably won't play

Do you think he would accept a Redshirt??
Maybe if needed. In general, kids will have to start accepting them again now that the COVID year is gone.

Another question is the prop 48. Should Golding even try to use it with the one time free transfer? Maybe the prop 48 should come with a minimum 3 year commitment (2 years of play) as long as the coach stays.

Maybe if needed. In general, kids will have to start accepting them again now that the COVID year is gone.

Another question is the prop 48. Should Golding even try to use it with the one time free transfer? Maybe the prop 48 should come with a minimum 3 year commitment (2 years of play) as long as the coach stays.
I think he and Hamilton will need to Redshirt.

I would never redshirt a basketball player.
1.. Its not like Football where their bodies are often not ready. College Basketball players have played hundreds of games before ever starting college.
2. The nature of College Basketball is to transfer. You're taking a risk redshirting a guy and never get anything out of him
3. The mindset of a college basketball player is they need to get to the NBA by 21. If you're a 5th year senior, you're an old man. Players don't want to sit out because they pretty much all believe their going pro in 3 years.

Reactions: MinerManiac
He's gonna have to or transfer I would think. Unless he's better than the transfers coming in with either D1 or JC experience.

Another reason not to redshirt. At the end of the season, your coach has watched you practice for a year and he's got 8-9 scholarships every offseason to find someone better than you.

In my mind this is our starting 5 and bench
Starters:
PG - S. Grivance 5-10
SG- T. Hardy 6-3
F- C. Solomon 6-7
F- J. Sibley 6-8
C- Z. Onyema 6-8

Bench:
PG- M. Mc Kinney 6-1
PG/SG- M. Zachery 6-2 or C. Lemurs 6-3
G/F- O. Frazier 6-6
F- J. Dos Anjos 6-7
C- K. Kalu 6-9

In my mind this is our starting 5 and bench
Starters:
PG - S. Grivance 5-10
SG- T. Hardy 6-3
F- C. Solomon 6-7
F- J. Sibley 6-8
C- Z. Onyema 6-8

Bench:
PG- M. Mc Kinney 6-1
PG/SG- M. Zachery 6-2 or C. Lemurs 6-3
G/F- O. Frazier 6-6
F- J. Dos Anjos 6-7
C- K. Kalu 6-9

I say Sibley startsl a SF
And Anos starts at PF.
From what I have seen of dos Anjos, he is not really a 4. He is not physically strong enough to establish himself on the interior. He played on the perimeter in JC, and I see him as a SF type. He may be asked to play a similar role as Sibley this past year, taking advantage of certain matchups posting smaller players inside, but that is not really a strength in his game. Ideally, Onyema and Kalu are better suited to play the 4 spot, but the roster doesn't have that luxury as it stands, unless Hamilton can come in and play right away. The 4/5 spots look really questionable to me.

From what I've seen of Solomon he's a Golding type player. He'll do a lot of dirty work. Plays bigger than he is. I see him being a 8-10 ppg 7-8 rpg some blocks some steals some assists and just be a good all around defender. Therefore I think he starts.

If Golding has the guts he could really play small . Like the Warriors play Draymond at Center. Play Sibley or Anjos at Center and surround them with shooters.

From what I've seen of Solomon he's a Golding type player. He'll do a lot of dirty work. Plays bigger than he is. I see him being a 8-10 ppg 7-8 rpg some blocks some steals some assists and just be a good all around defender. Therefore I think he starts.
I agree. He's improved every year, and he's a solid defender. He's a good athlete that can attack/slash to the basket. He should get solid minutes.

I would never redshirt a basketball player.
1.. Its not like Football where their bodies are often not ready. College Basketball players have played hundreds of games before ever starting college.
2. The nature of College Basketball is to transfer. You're taking a risk redshirting a guy and never get anything out of him
3. The mindset of a college basketball player is they need to get to the NBA by 21. If you're a 5th year senior, you're an old man. Players don't want to sit out because they pretty much all believe their going pro in 3 years.
Never say never, but I agree that in general that it isn't a good idea to redshirt a basketball player. Even under the old transfer rules redshirting basketball players was much more rare than redshirting football players, though it did obviously happen sometimes. With the transfer rules as they are now it makes it much more dangerous to do so, as kickball points out.

One exception to this rule of thumb is Terry’s redshirting of Onyema. Okay, I know that he didn't technically redshirt, but with a free year to burn Terry kept a raw but extremely athletic freshman almost entirely on the bench, instead of giving him some playing time in manageable situations. The very limited minutes that Terry did give him might have whet the fan's appetite, but did nothing to help Onyema's development. So while it wasn't technically a redshirt, it was one for all intents and purposes. Fortunately Onyema has stayed loyal to UTEP so far, tempering the potential negative impact of his de facto redshirt year.

If Golding has the guts he could really play small . Like the Warriors play Draymond at Center. Play Sibley or Anjos at Center and surround them with shooters.
Draymond is a one of a kind type player. "Rim protection" is an absolute must in today's game and I can't see playing either at that spot. Sibley will foul out early.

We are going to see HEAVY minutes from Hardy, Solomon and Sibley. They are going to get all they can handle. Hopefully Onyema is improved and can play 20-25 minutes. I agree that Givance may get the early nod at the point, but Zachery could be better. Frazier and big KK look the part, but they haven't shown much come game time. Not sure how much the others can contribute at this time. Hopefully Sumlin is special and stays a few years. That's the most we can hope for.

I am curious to hear other observations are on Grivance. What I saw was a little fast & quick guy who dribbles a lot and looks to pass before he shoots. These are good for a point, but I think he doesn't shoot it, because he hits a low percentage. Maybe I should've look at more videos.
I feel like between Dos Anjos, Sibley and Solomon we have three interchangeable options.
Biggest concern #5. If Z could develop he has the tools to be special. From what little we saw of him ,he plays with mucho gusto, endless hustle and fire, but may have to turn on his"speed control" option, so he won't continue to be foul machine. C'mon coaches..fix it.

We are going to see HEAVY minutes from Hardy, Solomon and Sibley. They are going to get all they can handle. Hopefully Onyema is improved and can play 20-25 minutes. I agree that Givance may get the early nod at the point, but Zachery could be better. Frazier and big KK look the part, but they haven't shown much come game time. Not sure how much the others can contribute at this time. Hopefully Sumlin is special and stays a few years. That's the most we can hope for.
I'll keep saying it until I'm proven wrong. Grivance was a steal and best transfer coming in. Hardy may score more, but Grivance is true PG. My guess on his line barring injuries 12.5 ppg 3.5 rpg 5.2 apg 1.7 spg

I'll keep saying it until I'm proven wrong. Grivance was a steal and best transfer coming in. Hardy may score more, but Grivance is true PG. My guess on his line barring injuries 12.5 ppg 3.5 rpg 5.2 apg 1.7 spg
Isnt Hardy still injured?? Isnt he the one with a injured shoulder??

Reactions: miner1liner
My concern on Zachery (and McKinney) is the inability to hit an outside shot. It is an area both mentioned they needed to work on. You can get by at the JC level with an inconsistent jump shot, but it becomes a huge factor in the halfcourt heavy offense in D1. This could be one of the reasons Golding brought in Lemus, who looks like a guy who can hit the three. I do think Givance will get the majority of the minutes at the 1, with Hardy at the 2. Those two guys are experienced, and have produced at the D1 level. The rest will battle for minutes behind those two.

How many Evansville games did you watch last year?

Draymond is a one of a kind type player. "Rim protection" is an absolute must in today's game and I can't see playing either at that spot. Sibley will foul out early.
Draymond is what 6'7 or 6'8?

What Draymond does is bring the big outside the paint. Leaving the paint open for guards to drive in and cut, get easy buckets. Draymond could hit the 3 and that's why that opens it up for the Warriors. He is also a unselfish player. Sibley I think is more Athletic and he can hit the 3. Start Sibley at SF and he could finish the game at Center .

Also with this many guards and forwards, UTEP can switch at every position, and Golfing can run a press defense throughout the game.

My concern on Zachery (and McKinney) is the inability to hit an outside shot. It is an area both mentioned they needed to work on. You can get by at the JC level with an inconsistent jump shot, but it becomes a huge factor in the halfcourt heavy offense in D1. This could be one of the reasons Golding brought in Lemus, who looks like a guy who can hit the three. I do think Givance will get the majority of the minutes at the 1, with Hardy at the 2. Those two guys are experienced, and have produced at the D1 level. The rest will battle for minutes behind those two.
Well then we won't have much outside the starting 5.

How many Evansville games did you watch last year?
Saw tape of a good part of the season where he played. Probably have watched at least 5-10 minutes each of 20 or so games he played. Evansville sucked this year, because the 9ver all team around him, but I like the way he plays as a true point guard. If you disagree that's fine, but you'd be just doing it to disagree, cause that's what you do. I doubt you've watched as much tape or any of him. I was hoping for both him an Newton before we even got him, but obviously we only got one.

Saw tape of a good part of the season where he played. Probably have watched at least 5-10 minutes each of 20 or so games he played. Evansville sucked this year, because the 9ver all team around him, but I like the way he plays as a true point guard. If you disagree that's fine, but you'd be just doing it to disagree, cause that's what you do. I doubt you've watched as much tape or any of him. I was hoping for both him an Newton before we even got him, but obviously we only got one.
Haven’t seen any of these guys play. Maybe you are right. I just have an “issue” with people who say so and so is going to be a stud, but have never seen them play. I think you once said that Paul Thomas was going to be UTEP’s Kevin Durant, so I would be skeptical of your “scouting” :)

I will wait to pass judgment on them until they play a D1 game. Except for walkons and that last guard we signed. I can say that he won’t be very good and getting much play time. Hope I am wrong, but probably not.

Haven’t seen any of these guys play. Maybe you are right. I just have an “issue” with people who say so and so is going to be a stud, but have never seen them play. I think you once said that Paul Thomas was going to be UTEP’s Kevin Durant, so I would be skeptical of your “scouting” :)

I will wait to pass judgment on them until they play a D1 game. Except for walkons and that last guard we signed. I can say that he won’t be very good and getting much play time. Hope I am wrong, but probably not.
Bro you literally been on that one thing for 10 years it's old, get new material. How many professional sports analysts have been wrong about a player? Also I never said Givance will be a stud, All American, NBA player or anything like that. I said he will start at PG I think and will do well on the team this coming year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT