ADVERTISEMENT

Current basketball roster

Bro you literally been on that one thing for 10 years it's old, get new material. How many professional sports analysts have been wrong about a player? Also I never said Givance will be a stud, All American, NBA player or anything like that. I said he will start at PG I think and will do well on the team this coming year.
I truly hope I was wrong about his ability. Maybe being around better quality teammates will make he and them better.

Reactions: nattybry
I truly hope I was wrong about his ability. Maybe being around better quality teammates will make he and them better.
I honestly don't have much faith in this team's over all abilities as a whole, let me clarify that. I also don't think any of the new players will be World Beaters. What I do expect is for Grivance to be a leader on the team for the reason that he's a Sr, this is his final go at the D-1 level and because he's shown potential from the tape I've seen and what I've been told me about him. Overall though I'd be surprised if this team is at or over .500

Reactions: MinerMambo
You and I have erroneously said "Grivance", but it's "Givance".
Lol, I just noticed that. I'll keep him at Grivance until he shows me that I have no cause for "Grievance* after believing that he'll be a decent player at UTEP lol

Was the Abilene Christian team that upset Texas made up of upperclassmen? If so, it may take Golding three or four seasons to build a team that fans will really get behind. Can UTEP's fans wait that long? I'm willing to give Golding another year or two to see what he can do. It took Barbee until his third season to turn the corner with the team. We'll see. Waiting for the turnaround can be frustrating. We must expect improvement each season, but don't abandon ship at every sign of trouble. Go Miners.

Was the Abilene Christian team that upset Texas made up of upperclassmen? If so, it may take Golding three or four seasons to build a team that fans will really get behind. Can UTEP's fans wait that long? I'm willing to give Golding another year or two to see what he can do. It took Barbee until his third season to turn the corner with the team. We'll see. Waiting for the turnaround can be frustrating. We must expect improvement each season, but don't abandon ship at every sign of trouble. Go Miners.
Problem is the landscape of College Athletics may not be a good thing for players that do well at UTEP. As soon as they do they're out of here!

I'm willing to give Golding another year or two to see what he can do. It took Barbee until his third season to turn the corner with the team.

Barbee hasn’t coached here in over a decade and a lot has changed since then, especially for UTEP’s sake. That is not a model you can go by anymore. Most players aren’t staying anywhere for 4 years. Don’t have hopes for something unrealistic.

MTSU was 5-18 in 2020-21 and went 26-11 last year and won their division. It does not take 3 or 4 years to win anymore. Arizona went 33-4 last year with a 1st time, 1st year coach after going 17-9 the year before. Even Goldings replacement won 25 games and made the WAC tournament final in his first season.

When are we going to stop with the excuses and giving coaches 5 years to be successful?

Barbee's recruits were better. He had a Memphis pipeline that gave us Randy Culpepper, Julyan Stone, Gabe McCulley, etc. As far as Golding's replacement, didn't he still have most of the players from last season? But it is a fact that players aren't staying at one school for more than one or two seasons right now. That may change again in five years, but for now, a coach has to recruit for next year rather than for two or three years from now. That's a reality whoever the coach is. Let's hope we have one in Golding who can adapt to that reality.

Barbee's recruits were better. He had a Memphis pipeline that gave us Randy Culpepper, Julyan Stone, Gabe McCulley, etc. As far as Golding's replacement, didn't he still have most of the players from last season? But it is a fact that players aren't staying at one school for more than one or two seasons right now. That may change again in five years, but for now, a coach has to recruit for next year rather than for two or three years from now. That's a reality whoever the coach is. Let's hope we have one in Golding who can adapt to that reality.
Barbees recruits grew up dreaming of playing for Memphis who was in our conference at the time. Getting snubbed by the Tigers gave those guys added incentive.

The last couple of years, our guys embarrassed Memphis while Barbee was still here.

I beleive it was Culpepper, McCulley, Jeremy Williams and Moultrie who were from Memphis.

I still love it that UTEP beat Memphis twice on their court. I had a supervisor at work who went to Memphis. He was always bragging on them. That was the last time I really got excited to watch the Miners play. Oh, to see that kind of excitement again.

I still love it that UTEP beat Memphis twice on their court. I had a supervisor at work who went to Memphis. He was always bragging on them. That was the last time I really got excited to watch the Miners play. Oh, to see that kind of excitement again.
I felt some genuine excitement with Vince Hunter, then he left.

However they got us back after Barbee left and messed up us going back to the NCAA. That loss still hurts!

I remember when it was the head coach, 2 assistants, a limited earnings assistant coach and a single grad assistant and a trainer (6 guys)

Now 11 guys total including made up positions like "special assistant to the head coach" and "Director of player development" and "chief of staff"

I guess a head coach and 3 assistants don't have time to develop players or manage the ever growing staff

Hey, who is that guy? I don't know, lets ask the chief of staff, maybe he knows

Last edited:
I remember when it was the head coach, 2 assistants, a limited earnings assistant coach and a single grad assistant a trainer (6 guys)

Now 11 guys total including made up positions like "special assistant to the head coach" and "Director of player development" and "chief of staff"

I guess a head coach and 3 assistants don't have time to develop players or manage the ever growing staff

Hey, who is that guy? I don't know, lets ask the chief of staff, maybe he knows

Yeah, I took a look at that a couple of days ago and was like, "wait, wut?" I mean, they might as well hire a "normal fan hired as a special special assistant to tell the coach what 'diggers are saying." Seems like a bit of overkill with the staff but what do I know. I'm just an average fan.

Yeah, I took a look at that a couple of days ago and was like, "wait, wut?" I mean, they might as well hire a "normal fan hired as a special special assistant to tell the coach what 'diggers are saying." Seems like a bit of overkill with the staff but what do I know. I'm just an average fan.

Have you seen an NBA staff?? Its about 20 assistants.

The next time someone says “UTEP has no money”, think back to this point. Here is an actual school that has no money.

Quite the difference

"Z", I read a while back lived in EP as a kid and after seeing many games at The Don became determined to a Miner. Not sure of his age.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
"Z", I read a while back lived in EP as a kid and after seeing many games at The Don became determined to a Miner. Not sure of his age.

Z went to John Jay HS in San Antonio. That said, I'd love some confirmation that he actually did some growing up in El Paso watching Miners games. That would be kinda cool if true.

Z went to John Jay HS in San Antonio. That said, I'd love some confirmation that he actually did some growing up in El Paso watching Miners games. That would be kinda cool if true.
Lived here for 10 years or something like that I believe. Maybe that may be too much, but for sure he was here for an extended period of time. His parents were stationed here.

Check out this story from El Paso Times: 'Most improved' Ze-Rik Onyema breaks through for UTEP basketball

Freshman Ze'Rik Onyema shows off steady growth for UTEP Miners with strong run of play as postseason arrives.

Onyema is doing it at a school he always wanted to attend. He moved to El Paso as a child when his military family was stationed at Fort Bliss and lived here for 10 years before his family moved to San Antonio in time for his freshman year at San Antonio Jay.

"El Paso is kind of like my home, that's one of the reasons I decided to come back," he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT