ADVERTISEMENT

Current update on Brock, Dumes and Tang. See below

UTEP66

MI VIP
Jun 30, 2001
Tang signed LOI 4/16 with Wisconsinn, Green Bay

Brock has visit scheduled this weekend for South Alabama

Dumes now has offers from Ohio State, Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado and UTEP. He visited Arkansas this past weekend. No record of him signing as of this morning.

Carter no information available.

I wonder if we dropped off of Tang? Seems strange he would sign at Wisconsin -Green bay. Carter will probably attend prep school...

From what I found it appears we dropped off. As far as any other recruits I'm not aware of anyone were going hard after. The only other names I've seen are Stafford (PF), Judkins (SG), Kirkland (JC PF) and Guiterrez (PG) who might have qualifications issues. I doubt we will have a solid handle on where we are until the coaching situation is resolved. Carlos believes Tony will stay. If Tony goes, DJ is convicted and we lose a few of current players or recruits we will be in a three year building program. Luca, I'm hoping for the best, and if Tony goes, we can keep the kids we have.

I think UMASS is going after Kellogg. I wonder what Calipari would say to Barbee? Stick around and help him build up C-USA or head to UMASS? I agree that if Barbee leaves, it sets us back at least 3 years. We need this every two year cycle to end. If we lose him to another mid-major, I will let the athletic department know in no uncertain terms that it is unacceptable. Alma mater or not, we shouldn't lose a coach to UMASS.

Calipari has been and will always be a strong factor in Tony's career. Without doubt, they have a very special relationship. IMO, if Barbee decides he has an interest in UMass, Calipari will do whatever he can to help him secure the positoin. IMO Cal will tell Tony the advantages of staying at UTEP is it is a much more competitive conference, he has the program being built on a strong foundation and with a couple of good years will be in position to land high major position, if desired. The advantages to going to UMass is a much less competitive conference where UMass is capable of dominating and, unless we do something, a more attractive financial package.

The one thing I don't know is how Tony feels about the El Paso area, the adminstration and the Miner faithful. IMO there is much to be said about the quality of life in El Paso.

I hear is unhappy about the lack of support. However I think he fails to realize that until his team plays defense, El Pasoans will be slow to embrace him and the team. My opinion, anyway. EDIT: Also, Cal has and will be very insturmental in Kellogg's career. They may all decide that since Barbee has a HC job, that it should be Kellogg's to pursue. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
This post was edited on 4/17 1:53 PM by Lucaminer

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT