ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA Basketball: Who is hot, who is not & who dat?

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
Hot: UNT

Not: UTEP, MTSU & Rice

Who dat?: WKU & La Tech

(Watch out!: USM)

La Tech got a nice win against a rebuilt "It's a Hemi!" Southern Miss squad. Sadler weathered the bad storm created by his predecessor and nearly pulled off some Haskinesque upsets in OOC play. WKU got the win of the year for CUSA for OOC play and stunned a good Wisconsin team.

Let's be honest with ourselves Miner fans, January and February will be painful during CRT''s first in conference year. UTEP should possibly beat Rice, MTSU and Charlotte. Hawk is trying too hard, Thomas is still a foul machine, UTEP will lose close games because they can't make free throws, EO is no longer UTEP's secret weapon as he will now draw double teams and UTEP's perimeter D is still a work in progress.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Nothing's changed from my prediction of sub .500 with an outside chance of reaching .500 I want this team to get better. They're young and need to build for next year. With Tarke and Williams in starting line up next year will be a high upgrade. P.T. is a loss cause. I've given up on this kid, he's a very mediocre D1 Big Man. He wouldn't start on most lower D1 teams and is only starting, because he's our lone SR.

Nothing's changed from my prediction of sub .500 with an outside chance of reaching .500 I want this team to get better. They're young and need to build for next year. With Tarke and Williams in starting line up next year will be a high upgrade. P.T. is a loss cause. I've given up on this kid, he's a very mediocre D1 Big Man. He wouldn't start on most lower D1 teams and is only starting, because he's our lone SR.
Yup. Good kid, good family. Just so damned focused on being like Kevin Durant when he had the potential to be like a KG which he would not fully embrace.

UTEP goes .500 will be an overachieving year.

Reactions: axingfools1
Yup. Good kid, good family. Just so damned focused on being like Kevin Durant when he had the potential to be like a KG which he would not fully embrace.

What ??? Paul Thomas had the potential to be like KG??? Lol haha wow

Nothing has changed from my expectations either. If we get some nice wins it will only make the losses more frustrating, but I think we all know CRT and his current roster are building a solid foundation for the future.

I agree Williams ang Tarke are immediate starters. Boum could be 6th man of the year. The chemistry will have a big head start with them already practicing.

PT still has the capacity to play well in CUSA. He just needs to keep his concentration and calm down on the court.

Last edited:
I expected 6-5 ooc. The only games we lost that I thought we would win were at home vs NMSU. I also thought we would beat Norfolk St but lose to Wyoming or ETSU at the Don Haskins Championship game.

In conference I still think we go 8-6 over the first 14 games. That should place us in the second pod (6-10).

13-12 with at least five games remaining.

I expected 6-5 ooc. The only games we lost that I thought we would win were at home vs NMSU. I also thought we would beat Norfolk St but lose to Wyoming or ETSU at the Don Haskins Championship game.

In conference I still think we go 8-6 over the first 14 games. That should place us in the second pod (6-10).

13-12 with at least five games remaining.

That’d be nice. I can’t get a pulse on this team. One night they look like they could be a top 4 team in CUSA, then the next outing they look like they could finish in the bottom half.

I suppose that’s the Achilles heel with such a young team...inconsistency. Finishing above .500 would be a feat, and not out of the realm of possibility.

That’d be nice. I can’t get a pulse on this team. One night they look like they could be a top 4 team in CUSA, then the next outing they look like they could finish in the bottom half.

I suppose that’s the Achilles heel with such a young team...inconsistency. Finishing above .500 would be a feat, and not out of the realm of possibility.

That is so accurate. So fun to watch these guys, but so frustrating as well. One minute it looks like "alrighty then; we've got it" then they turn right around and play like the freshmen they are. Some of the best games were losses. We'll see real quick this week how they have progressed. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we could sweep UTSA, but not if they repeat Norfolk.

That is so accurate. So fun to watch these guys, but so frustrating as well. One minute it looks like "alrighty then; we've got it" then they turn right around and play like the freshmen they are. Some of the best games were losses. We'll see real quick this week how they have progressed. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we could sweep UTSA, but not if they repeat Norfolk.

I think you’re right. I also think this team will pull off a couple unexpected wins, along with a few “wtf” losses.

Reactions: topminer
We’re like a younger less experienced version of WKU. On any given night they can bang with the best of the best. But can also be exposed by lack of depth and growing pains.

Bro that's so old and played out, you sound lke a fool still bringing it up lmao. How many recruits whom were highly touted didn't live up to expectations? Get over it bro, get something new at least.

What ??? Paul Thomas had the potential to be like KG??? Lol haha wow
What I meant is a strong inside post player, not exactly a KG.

Now before you all laugh, we all on here were high on his signing and had high aspirations for him. He had a breakout sophomore year but his development did not take off and his constant game in, game out fouling out every year and to this very date made fans sour on him. Being under Floyd didn't help as well.

What I meant is a strong inside post player, not exactly a KG.

Now before you all laugh, we all on here were high on his signing and had high aspirations for him. He had a breakout sophomore year but his development did not take off and his constant game in, game out fouling out every year and to this very date made fans sour on him. Being under Floyd didn't help as well.
Sorry if I got u mixed up with the two Trolls. He has sorely underacheived. He was a 4 star player that has looked like a 1 star the last 2 years!

Help!
I have the ESPN app and WATCH ESPN which is a monthly fee. The UTSA game is streamed on ESPN +. Does require yet "another subscription"? Can't find the game on their schedule.

Help!
I have the ESPN app and WATCH ESPN which is a monthly fee. The UTSA game is streamed on ESPN +. Does require yet "another subscription"? Can't find the game on their schedule.

It's a separate subscription at $4.99 a month.

ESPN+ is a separate app and you don’t need a cable or satellite subscription. It’s $4.99 a month. I subscribed to it. It’s worth it for the UFC events alone.

I think you’re right. I also think this team will pull off a couple unexpected wins, along with a few “wtf” losses.
As the team enters conference play, one area that needs immediate improvement, along with some of the other areas mentioned, is effectively attacking a zone defense. Specifically, I thought Thomas was particularly ineffective at the critical free throw line position against Norfolk State. Against Wyoming, I thought Campbell actually did a better job than Thomas at the same position. Also, I think Odigie can expect double teams down low, and he will need to do a better job finding the open man, as well as limiting turnovers out of the post. I wouldn't be surprised if UTSA sits back in a zone to see if the young Miners can respond. Throwing up bad shots, especially on the road, will not get it done.

I am worried that we can’t get more people in the stands. If it continues to look empty, im afraid terry would leave as soon as a bigger school calls and it will be harder to recruit.

Reactions: miner1liner
I am worried that we can’t get more people in the stands. If it continues to look empty, im afraid terry would leave as soon as a bigger school calls and it will be harder to recruit.

UTEP has to win for bigger schools to call. If UTEP wins fans will come.

I don't know if you're new to Utep Basketball, but this was to be expected. Happened with Gillespie and happened with Barbee. Yes they both eventually left, bit not for the reason you're stating. Knowledgeable Miner Fans know this is a rebuilding year and the next two years are the winning years with what Terry's brought in. The die hard fans are showing up, but EP has shown throughout the years they show up when Utep is winning only. It's fine, nothing new, nothing to see hear, all very expected this year....

It would sure be nice if they could finish in the top 4 this year.... you imagine the hype we would have for next year?

Reactions: groundrounds

fans don't usually show up in numbers until conference play. Plus, we've had a lot of down years lately.

I'd still be surprised if we weren't top 2 or 3 in avg attendance this year, which is more than you could say for just about any other mid-major in our situation.

Trust me, attendance might seem like an issue compared to years past, but it won't be an issue. Most mid majors can't avg what we do, even during their best years.

Won't there be an additional charge for the PPV? I don't see how they could make money if they don't charge.

They have always had tiers to their fight cards. The big ones will still be on PPV. The new deal with ESPN is worth 1.5 billion so UFC got a huge increase for their television rights (mid level fight cards, The Ultimate Fighter show). I’m curious how fight cards on ESPN+ will work with bars and restaurants. ESPN is getting 42 events. 32 on ESPN+ and 10 on the ESPN network. Will bars be able to show both? Or would ESPN+ fall into another category?

UFC PPVs will continue like they have in the past. The big change is that ESPN won the television rights for UFC from Fox. So the fight cards we used to get on Fox, FX, and FS1 are moving to ESPN+.
So basically UFC/ESPN are charging for what used to be 'free' if you had any carrier with FS1 (free UFC fight nights and PPV prelims)?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT